The Couple Next Door: A Novel by Shari…

The Couple Next Door: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Shari Lapeña (Author)

Member:bgherman
Title:The Couple Next Door: A Novel
Authors:Shari Lapeña (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2018), Edition: Reissue, 384 pages
Collections:On Loan
Tags:On Loan to Marin

The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapeña

English (108)  Catalan (2)  Italian (2)  German (1)  All languages (113)
I was maybe 5-10 pages into the book when I had to put it down and look up where the author was from. Sure enough, she provoked one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to writing - don’t write about a subject, person, or location that you’re not familiar with.

Don’t get me wrong, the dialogue was terribly written on its own. Add to that the fact that the vernacular used felt so literally foreign and I just couldn’t get over it.

The only thing the author seems to be good at is exposition, and she probably knows it since she piled it in there. It was certainly a page turner but not in the good way. More than once, I almost skipped to the end just to get it over with.

Not a 1 Star since I did end up finishing it but I thought the ending was so ridiculously convoluted and the final twist at the end was predictable. ( )
  jesmlet | Apr 23, 2019 |
The Couple Next Door is about a young couple, Anne and Marco Conti, who have dinner at their neighbor's house but fatefully decide to leave their newborn baby at home. Although they check on the baby every half hour, when they get home for the night the baby is gone. Anne is hysterical but Marco was in on the plan to have the baby abducted and then safely returned once his wealthy father in law paid the ransom. When Marco goes to pay the ransom, he is hit over the head and knocked out. Next his partner in crime is found dead. Marco, confused and upset because all he wanted to do was get some money to dig his business out of debt, confesses his crime to Anne. There are twists turns along the way as the plot unfolds. ( )
  KatherineGregg | Apr 13, 2019 |
Excellent book. Quick easy read ( )
  shazjhb | Mar 16, 2019 |
Yep this is a Life Time TV show in a book. That channel sucks you in even though you have the story figured out, just all that drama and weirdness it captures you. I read this book in less than a day mainly because I skipped every five pages for each five pages I read. I thought there was a lot of redundant words, repetitive descriptions and repeat feelings that I myself did not want to rehash again. This book could have been a novella and been great. Yes I did have to read it because once I read that a young couple leaves their baby unattended to go to a party something is going to happen just like the Life Time Shows. To top that off the babies mother happens to hate the hostess who is a flirt and slut and she doesn't batt an eye when her husband and hostess go outside for a long period of time, really?....they’re tending a fire but not the BBQ kind. Just like a Life Time Show
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |
Really easy book to read. But, I think the suspense of the book and the "plot twists" tries to make up for the weak and boring characters. Also, the end was complete shit. The best character, that is Rasbach, barely appears throughout the last half of the book. Really disappointing for a best-seller. ( )
  melosomelo | Feb 19, 2019 |
...the set-up is fantastic – it’s just when Lapena has to deliver on the answers that the novel starts to slip.
added by charl08 | editGuardian

Shari Lapeñaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ogle, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Helen Heller, the most thrilling agent of all
Anne can feel the acid churning in her stomach and creeping up her throat; her head is swimming.

How well do you know the couple next door? Or your husband? Or even—yourself?

People are capable of almost anything. . .

A domestic suspense debut about a young couple and their apparently friendly neighbors—a twisty, rollercoaster ride of lies, betrayal, and the secrets between husbands and wives. . .

“Meticulously crafted and razor-sharp.  THE COUPLE NEXT DOOR lingers long after you turn the final page.”—Harlan Coben, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Fool Me Once

Anne and Marco Conti seem to have it all—a loving relationship, a wonderful home, and their beautiful baby, Cora. But one night when they are at a dinner party next door, a terrible crime is committed. Suspicion immediately focuses on the parents. But the truth is a much more complicated story.

Inside the curtained house, an unsettling account of what actually happened unfolds. Detective Rasbach knows that the panicked couple is hiding something. Both Anne and Marco  soon discover that the other is keeping secrets, secrets they've kept for years.

What follows is the nerve-racking unraveling of a family—a chilling tale of  deception, duplicity, and unfaithfulness that will keep you breathless until the final shocking twist.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 08 Apr 2016 19:41:01 -0400)

""I read this novel at one sitting, absolutely riveted by the storyline. The suspense was beautifully rendered and unrelenting!"--Sue Grafton, New York Times bestselling author of X "Meticulously crafted and razor-sharp. THE COUPLE NEXT DOOR lingers long after you turn the final page."--Harlan Coben, #1New York Times bestselling author of Fool Me Once "Provocative and shocking."--Lisa Gardner, the New York Times bestselling author of Find Her How well do you know the couple next door? Or your husband? Or even--yourself? People are capable of almost anything. A domestic suspense debut about a young couple and their apparently friendly neighbors--a twisty, rollercoaster ride of lies, betrayal, and the secrets between husbands and wives. Anne and Marco Conti seem to have it all--a loving relationship, a wonderful home, and their beautiful baby, Cora. But one night when they are at a dinner party next door, a terrible crime is committed. Suspicion immediately focuses on the parents. But the truth is a much more complicated story. Inside the curtained house, an unsettling account of what actually happened unfolds. Detective Rasbach knows that the panicked couple is hiding something. Both Anne and Marco soon discover that the other is keeping secrets, secrets they've kept for years. What follows is the nerve-racking unraveling of a family--a chilling tale of deception, duplicity, and unfaithfulness that will keep you breathless until the final shocking twist"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,227,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible