Time for the Stars by Robert A. Heinlein

Time for the Stars (1956)

by Robert A. Heinlein

Series: Heinlein Juveniles (10)

English (30)  Russian (1)  All languages (31)
Thoroughly enjoyable older SciFi story that omits technology details that would have dated it. Think I might keep this one for a reread. ( )
  fuzzi | Nov 25, 2018 |
This was a Heinlein young adult novel I hadn't read before, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it definitely showed its age in places, including gender relations. However, I remind myself the social mores are on a pendulum and who knows what the future will hold.

I loved the idea that telepathy affected how physics worked. I also liked seeing how the main character matured during the course of his adventures. While the ending gave me a bit of a twinge, I did the math and decided it wasn't so bad after all.

I'm not sure I would suggest this for young people today as they don't have the historical/cultural background. I would strongly suggest this for adult science fiction readers who don't mind a young protagonist. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Feb 7, 2018 |
Good, but still quite sexist. Marching on through the 1950s... ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Somewhat derivative juvenile from the 'boy goes to sea' genre, still Heinlein provides an enjoyable read with some hidden gems. In my library more for nostalgic reasons
  svfreeman | Jan 16, 2017 |
2003 Review:
more good juvie fiction. I wish Heinlein had stuck to just juvie ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Saladés, EduardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Savage, SteeleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell KCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Bill and Bob Davis
According to their biographies, Destiny's favoured children usually had their lives planned out from scratch.

Travel to other planets is a reality, and with overpopulation stretching the resources of Earth, the necessity to find habitable worlds is growing ever more urgent. With no time to wait years for communication between slower-than-light spaceships and home, the Long Range Foundation explores an unlikely solution--human telepathy.
Identical twins Tom and Pat are enlisted to be the human radios that will keep the ships in contact with Earth, but one of them has to stay behind while the other explores the depths of space.This is one of Heinlein's triumphs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:04 -0400)

For a telepathic twin on an exploratory space voyage, only a few years pass; yet, when he returns to Earth, his brother is ready to celebrate his ninetieth birthday.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,362,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible