dismiss

Time for the Stars by Robert Anson Heinlein

Time for the Stars (original 1956; edition 1987)

by Robert Anson Heinlein

Series: Heinlein Juveniles (10)

For a telepathic twin on an exploratory space voyage only a few years pass, yet, when he returns to Earth his brother is ready to celebrate his ninetieth birthday.
Member:Yfandes
Title:Time for the Stars
Authors:Robert Anson Heinlein
Info:Del Rey (1987), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Time for the Stars by Robert A. Heinlein (Author) (1956)

English (32)  Russian (1)  All languages (33)
It's interesting to see the directions that this particular vision of the future went. I'm also amused by the cultural / gender issues have aged. For instance, Tom (the narrator) was shocked that women no longer wore hats after he'd been out in space. Well, women (and men) haven't worn hats on a regular basis in ages, so I was taken aback in the other direction. There are also other gender-based restrictions that are no longer the norm (excluding women from the landing party in today's society wouldn't fly) and that was interesting to read, too. Still, all told, this is an enjoyable book. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 20, 2020 |
Overall, an excellent book that doesn't suffer from Heinlein's usual problems with endings (although some might not be happy with it). While it might be considered a juvenile, it's probably better suited to teenagers given some of the things that happen in the novel.

The book is the journal of a boy who has a telepathic link to his twin brother. He and a number of other telepaths (who can only telepathically talk to specific people, usually their twin) are signed on a spaceship as "special communicators" since their telepathy ignores the speed of light. The book makes good use of the "twin paradox" in which the one who stays home ages while the other is still young. This plays a significant part in the book. One could argue that this book was written to explore that idea further.

It's mentioned early in the book that the odds of surviving are low and so one can definitely expect that characters are going to die at times in the book. It is for this reason that I'd avoid sharing this book with younger readers. There are definitely traumatic moments, so I'd say it's roughly for teenagers and maybe slightly younger (10-12). ( )
  tjl | Jan 2, 2020 |
Thoroughly enjoyable older SciFi story that omits technology details that would have dated it. Think I might keep this one for a reread. ( )
  fuzzi | Nov 25, 2018 |
This was a Heinlein young adult novel I hadn't read before, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it definitely showed its age in places, including gender relations. However, I remind myself the social mores are on a pendulum and who knows what the future will hold.

I loved the idea that telepathy affected how physics worked. I also liked seeing how the main character matured during the course of his adventures. While the ending gave me a bit of a twinge, I did the math and decided it wasn't so bad after all.

I'm not sure I would suggest this for young people today as they don't have the historical/cultural background. I would strongly suggest this for adult science fiction readers who don't mind a young protagonist. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Feb 7, 2018 |
Good, but still quite sexist. Marching on through the 1950s... ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |

Saladés, EduardoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Savage, SteeleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell KCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Bill and Bob Davis
According to their biographies, Destiny's favoured children usually had their lives planned out from scratch.
This book contains two different works. Please do not combine with either individual work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,649,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible