When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple…

When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

by Sandra Martz

I bought this book for the title's poem -- which is one of my absolute all-time favorites. It has some interesting poetry and some nice images, but nothing earth-shattering. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple

with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired

and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

and run my stick along the public railings

and make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

and pick the flowers in other people's gardens

and learn to spit. ( )
  mimal | Jan 17, 2014 |
With a few exceptions, these vignettes of aging are from the viewpoint of young relatives of aging women. The title is a line from "Warning," a poem by Jenny Joseph. Joseph proposes that one of the benefits of aging is doing as one pleases, and what will please her is not just wearing purple, but spitting where she chooses and picking other people's flowers. My mother, herself at the age that Joseph yearns for, found this so offensive that she refused to look at any other part of the book. There are a few pieces that are particularly nice, including Sarah Barnhill's "Near Places, Far Places," in which a woman entering midlife begins to connect with her mother's values. The volume is riddled with the kind of typographical errors that would have easily yielded to a computer spellcheck, or even a cursory proofing (particularly irritating when this is a second edition). Though pleasing enough, I am of the opinion that the book is selling as well as it is on the strength of its titillating title—a testimony to the hunger for information of an aging population. (November 1994) ( )
  bookcrazed | Jan 14, 2012 |
When I gather with my women friends these days, we frequently discuss our ongoing struggles with our elderly mothers, the nursing home thing, the neediness and unreasonable behaviour, will we ever be like that? And so I read A Place for Mother by Joanne Seltzer. These stories and poems are truely timeless. ( )
  bhowell | Apr 5, 2010 |
What a marvelous compelation! As I approach my later years (!), I find these poems and stories more and more appealing. They resound with humor and strength - just like I hope I do! ( )
  MerryMary | Mar 10, 2008 |
I wrote the poem more than thirty years ago ... I must admit to finding her a bit of a bore, going on so, after all these years so no one else can get a look in.

An anthology of stories and poems that will make you happy you are a woman and glad that you are old.

A collection of writings with the theme of women growing older.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,696,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible