A Stir of Echoes by Richard Matheson

A Stir of Echoes (original 1958; edition 1959)

by Richard Matheson

Member:lyzard
Title:A Stir of Echoes
Authors:Richard Matheson
Info:NY Fawcett Crest 1959. (1959), Edition: First Thus, Paperback
Collections:Genre

A Stir of Echoes by Richard Matheson (1958)

English (16)  Italian (1)  All languages (17)
This is a short, quick paced ghost story, that despite being written in 1958 does not feel dated. The movie version with Kevin Bacon does diverge quite a bit from the book, but that's to be expected in most cases.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. ( )
  TJCams | Jul 7, 2015 |
Another excellent read from Matheson. I don't think anyone does creepy ghost stories like he does. Right up there with I Am Legend and Hell House - what a pity the films never live up to the quality of the books. Very much a recommended read. ( )
  nwdavies | Aug 21, 2014 |
During a party one night, Tom Wallace agrees to be hypnotized. But what was supposed to just be a party trick, actually opens a door in his mind, granting him telepathic abilities. He begins to see into the dark, frightening corners of his neighbors otherwise outwardly safe and orderly lives. As his headaches grow along with his perception and his behavior becomes more erratic, his new gifts begin to threaten the stability of his own family, while some darker secret lies just beneath the surface.

This is an easy read and a really enjoyable book. It's tied to its late '50s era, but this is not terribly of putting and it translates fairly well. I think Matheson did a great job portraying both Tom (frightened but curious) and his wife (it must be so terrifying to see someone you love go through this and not know if they are sane or not or how to help them). I would definitely recommend this for some light reading, and while it touches the horror genre, it's not terribly frightening.

As a footnote, I also really love the movie version with Kevin Bacon. They do change parts of the plot and make different connections, but it's a damn good adaptation. ( )
  andreablythe | Oct 26, 2013 |
I love reading Richard Matheson's stories. Even if the story itself isn't quite to my taste, and not everything he writes is, the writing is so enjoyable to read. I don't know what it is about it that makes it so, but it's just so accessible and straightforward and unassuming, and it just hooks me right from the start. I love it.

I've seen the movie based on this book, before I knew it was a book, and before I'd ever read anything of Matheson's, and I enjoyed the movie. That's really the best way to do it, because it allows me to enjoy both versions independently for what they are. The movie is... pretty far removed from the story in the book. Other than the hypnotism catalyst and the ghost-story mystery, there's not very much similarity between them. But maybe that's for the best, because I was quite surprised by the direction the book took, and enjoyed it quite a lot.

I really like the deeper line of thought and questioning that runs through this book. This is a short book, but inside is some interesting stuff that pertains to consciousness and higher consciousness and the like. I like Matheson's theories on things, although I don't usually agree with them. But at least he reasons things out and provides something to think about. That I will most definitely give him credit for.

The mystery aspect of this book was a good one. I thought I had it all figured out and I didn't. I love when a mystery keeps me on my toes.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend this one for any fan of paranormal mysteries... I mean paranormal in the broadest sense here, as there are no vampires (sparkly or otherwise), werewolves, or anything, but it is outside the realm of the strictly mundane world.

Horror October 2011: #1 (Ok, a little early, but who's counting?) ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |
Usually, I am the type of person who enjoys the book more than a movie based on that book.
Maybe it's because I watched the movie first but IMO, the book pales in comparason to the movie. I don't even like Kevin Bacon lol but he does a good job.
The story in the movie, way different than in the book and far more creepy. ( )
  Chirpchirpsquawk | Jan 2, 2013 |
The day it all started - a hot, August Saturday - I'd gotten off work a little after twelve.

Tom Wallace lived an ordinary life, until a chance event awakened psychic abilities he never knew he possessed. Now he's hearing the private thoughts of the people around him-and learning shocking secrets he never wanted to know. But as Tom's existence becomes a waking nightmare, even greater jolts are in store as he becomes the unwilling recipient of a compelling message from beyond the grave!

This eerie ghost story, by award-winning author of Hell House and I Am Legend, inspired the acclaimed 1999 film starring Kevin Bacon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:19 -0400)

Tom Wallace lived an ordinary life, until a chance event awakened psychic abilities he never knew he possessed. Now, he's hearing the private thoughts of the people around him -- and learning shocking secrets he never wanted to know. But as Tom's existence becomes a waking nightmare, even greater jolts are in store, as he becomes the unwilling recipient of a compelling message from beyond the grave!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,411,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible