The Whole Town's Talking: A Novel by…

The Whole Town's Talking: A Novel

by Fannie Flagg

This book left me feeling a little time line over done. It seemed to just flow through time between the town growing and the population in the town cemetery growing also. It was just a little too whimsical for me. ( )
  mchwest | Aug 8, 2018 |
Fannie Flagg is a delightful storyteller. Quirky characters, and fun, small-towns where everywhere knows each other. The Whole Town's Talking embodies those same characteristics. The beginning was strong, and I felt bonded with the main characters. The story that unfolded took me on an unexpected ride, through the adventures of a variety of characters. I appreciate the unique way in which Flagg approached this story, and how, in the end, we understand the depth beyond the simplicity of our humanity. ( )
  CherieKephart | Jul 24, 2018 |
This is the story of a community. Their loves, laughter, growth and losses. It is a beautiful, sweeping tale, spanning more than a century, told in a chatty, next door neighbor kind of tone. This book is vintage Fannie Flagg.

This book grabs your attention from the first pages and does not let you go. You live life with the characters in the book. Being happy and smiling with them during the good times and crying with them through their losses during the wars. While reading this book I was consumed by the characters and all the goings on. There is a bit of the paranormal in this book. It seems that the characters enjoyed themselves so much, they stayed on even after passing away. There was even a bit of poetic justice at the end... and some disappearing pie.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher , Random House, for providing me the opportunity to read and review this book.

Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
This was a pretty good book from Fannie Flagg. The premise of what happens to folks when they leave this world was interesting, but after awhile, the characters really piled up fast and I got a little confused at times. The story lines jumped around even though there was a chronology of decades. I really enjoyed it at the beginning, but as the book went along, I was looking forward for the end. ( )
  bcrowl399 | Apr 5, 2018 |
The Whole Town's Talking came out of nowhere and completely surprised me. I have to admit that I haven't been reading Flagg's works after Fried Green Tomatoes and now I realize that I have been missing out on some really good storytelling.

The Whole Town's Talking, while being a fun read that actually made me smile (and helped to break a reading slump), also has a surprising depth to it. The story revolves around Lordor Nordstrom, his Swedish mail order bride, Katrina, and their descendants and neighbors as they span generations and time in the town of Elmwood Springs. The characters that inhabit Elmwood Springs are so well developed that I felt like I actually knew them. Without giving away too many details that may spoil it, strange things begin to happen in Elmwood Springs and the whole town starts talking. This book will make you happy, will make you think, and if you haven't read in a while, it will make you enjoy reading again.

Reading this made me realize that Flagg is one of America's best storytellers alive today. I can't wait to now go catch up on the books that I've missed out on from this author. Many thanks to Random House for providing an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LauraBethR | Mar 28, 2018 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140006595X, Hardcover)

From the beloved author of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe comes another unforgettable, laugh-out-loud, and moving novel about what it means to be truly alive.

Elmwood Springs, Missouri, is a small town like any other, but something strange is happening out at the cemetery. “Still Meadows,” as it’s called, is anything but still. Funny and profound, this novel in the tradition of Flagg’s Can’t Wait to Get to Heaven and Thornton Wilder’s Our Town deals with universal themes of heaven and earth and everything in between, as Flagg tells a surprising story of life, afterlife, and the mysterious goings-on of ordinary people.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 12 Apr 2016 02:48:50 -0400)

Lordor Nordstrom created, in his wisdom, not only a lively town and a prosperous legacy for himself but also a beautiful final resting place for his family, friends, and neighbors yet to come. "Resting place" turns out to be a bit of a misnomer, however. Odd things begin to happen, and it starts the whole town talking. With her wild imagination, great storytelling, and deep understanding of folly and the human heart, the beloved Fannie Flagg tells an unforgettable story of life, afterlife, and the remarkable goings-on of ordinary people. In The Whole Town's Talking, she reminds us that community is vital, life is a gift, and love never dies.--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,108,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible