Mister Monkey: A Novel by Francine Prose

Mister Monkey: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Francine Prose (Author)

Member:grunin
Title:Mister Monkey: A Novel
Authors:Francine Prose (Author)
Info:Harper (2016), 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Autographed, read

Mister Monkey: A Novel by Francine Prose

We get to go not only backstage, but all the way home with a theater troupe (and audience members) trapped in a really awful production of a really terrible musical for children. It takes a monkey to make us realize that we are all human (in not humane). ( )
  seeword | Feb 2, 2017 |

Despite the title, Mister Monkey isn't about a monkey, but rather it centers on a not-very-good musical by that name, which is itself based on a children's book. Beginning with an actress with a role in a cheaply produced off-off-Broadway version of the play, Mister Monkey spirals out, following people whose connection to the play becomes more and more tenuous. Just when it seemed to be in danger of abandoning the musical altogether, Prose pulls the pieces together so that the separate stories all connect in meaningful ways.

There are a few things I reliably like when I read. One of them are short stories, especially inter-connected short stories. Another is when an author is talented enough and cares enough about the characters they've created, to write empathetically about all of them, even the most repulsive or mean-spirited creation. Mister Monkey has all of that, and being written by Francine Prose doesn't hurt its chances either. I found this book delightful. Prose's deep concern for her characters turned people who might have been laughable -- the desperate aging actress, the lonely and frumpy kindergarten teacher, the hormonal and unpleasant eleven year old -- into people I cared about. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Jan 23, 2017 |
Had this book been written by someone else, I would have abandoned it before the halfway mark. Francine Prose's Blue Angel is one of my favorite books, however (and I'm a fan of A Changed Man, as well), so I forced myself to push on, hoping for some kind of payoff. There was none; in fact, I found the final chapter, focused on Roger, to be the most irritating and pointless of all. On a sentence-by-sentence basis, the writing was good (hence the 2 stars), but the novel as a whole fell as flat as the performances of Mister Monkey it describes.

This review was based on a free ARC provided by the publisher. ( )
  BrandieC | Jan 16, 2017 |
Well-written, wistful, funny and kind, Mister Monkey is one of those "light but good" books that are enjoyable to read and easy to recommend. ( )
  Laura400 | Nov 6, 2016 |
For Emilia, Malena, and Jackson
Once upon a time, not so long ago, a scientist (and loving mother) by the name of Mrs. Jimson said a tearful good-bye to her family in New York and went to study monkey in Africa.

The acclaimed New York Times bestselling author weaves an ingenious, darkly humorous, and brilliantly observant story that follows the exploits and intrigue of a constellation of characters affiliated with an off-off-off-off Broadway children’s musical.

Mister Monkey—a screwball children’s musical about a playfully larcenous pet chimpanzee—is the kind of family favorite that survives far past its prime. Margot, who plays the chimp’s lawyer, knows the production is dreadful and bemoans the failure of her acting career. She’s settled into the drudgery of playing a humiliating part—until the day she receives a mysterious letter from an anonymous admirer . . . and later, in the middle of a performance, has a shocking encounter with Adam, the twelve-year-old who plays the title role.

Francine Prose’s effervescent comedy is told from the viewpoints of wildly unreliable, seemingly disparate characters whose lives become deeply connected as the madcap narrative unfolds. There is Adam, whose looming adolescence informs his interpretation of his role; Edward, a young audience member who is candidly unimpressed with the play; Ray, the author of the novel on which the musical is based, who witnesses one of the most awkward first dates in literature; and even the eponymous Mister Monkey, the Monkey God himself.

With her trademark wit and verve, Prose delves into humanity’s most profound mysteries: art, ambition, childhood, aging, and love. Startling and captivating, Mister Monkey is a breathtaking novel from a writer at the height of her craft.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 25 May 2016 21:08:22 -0400)

3 wanted1 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,476,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible