The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth by Robert…

The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth (1971)

by Robert Foster

Anything you could possibly need to reference about Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarilian, and any other book set in Middle-Earth is in this book. ( )
  RockStarNinja | Mar 7, 2011 |
A friend of mine and I found this book in our school library and had to work out an agreement as to who could borrow it when, because we both wanted it so badly. This is without a doubt the most useful and helpful of any reference I've come across, and the fact that it's in alphabetical order just spices up the deal.
Though I have to say I don't particularly like how all of the characters are depicted on the cover... ( )
  samlives2 | Mar 7, 2010 |
I love it despite the cover; Aragorn looks more like a Dumas character than a Dúnadan.
1 vote Edrys | May 5, 2007 |
I own two copies of this book. The paperback is my "as I am reading" reference book. I can annotate it, highlight it etc. The hardback is in my collecton. You do not need another Tolkien reference book if you own this one.
2 vote AzureMountain | Mar 6, 2007 |
There are several guides to the workd of Tolkien out there. This one by Robert Foster is THE best. Please if you are writing a fan fic or an essay on Tolkien (yes this is the proper spelling check the front of his books)refer to this work first. ( )
1 vote arelenriel | Aug 9, 2006 |
It's a pleasant, meandering way to explore Tolkien's creation if you've got the patience for it, though if you just want to better identify one of the characters in, say, "The Silmarillion" or a collection like "Unfinished Tales," the guide can be frustrating.
added by Shortride | editSalon, Laura Miller (Dec 19, 2002)

Robert Fosterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Drechsler, ArndtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Katzer, Gernotsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pesch, Helmut W.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my grandfather, Louis N Feipel, who gave me his love of words and books.
Mit dem Erscheinen des Silmarillions war die Veröffentlichung von J.R.R. Tolkiens Weltentwurf im Wesentlichen vollständig.
This edition includes info about The Silmarillion. Please don't combine with The Guide to Middle-Earth (which doesn't)
The late Professor J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion have delighted millions of readers in recent years.

Middle-Earth, the world in which the stories take place, is as real and complex as our own. Events, geography and names were created with care and loving attention by Tolkien, who wanted every single detail of his books to fit into their total pattern. A belief in perfection, the fun of sub-creation and the desire to create something so totally convincing that the reader could believe in it (in a sense) as actual history, involved him in map-making, endless charts of dates and events and the development of his many invented languages.

The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth is intended to be supplementary to the works of Tolkien and no more. It draws together in logical sequence facts and information about names, languages, places and events from Tolkien's books and will be an indispensable aid in every reader's discovery of Tolkien's world.

The heraldic device on the jacket represents the ancient throne of Elendil: it bears his monogram L.N.D.L. The seven stars of Elendil and his captains have five rays. They originally represented the single stars on the banners of each of the seven ships that bore a palantir. In Gondor, founded by Elendil, the seven stars were set about a white tree. The winged crown is the chief mark of royalty of Gondor. The green jewel at the bottom represents the coming of the new king, Elessar.

For the millions who have already ventured to Middle-earth, and for the countless others who have yet to embark on the journey–here is the one indispensable A-to-Z guide that brings Tolkien’s universe to life.

EVERY CHARACTER
From Adaldrida Brandybuck to Zaragamba–every Hobbit, Elf, Dwarf, Man, Orc, or other resident of Middle-earth is vividly described and accurately located in proper place and time.

EVERY PLACE
Colorfully detailed descriptions of geographical entries allow you to pick up the action anywhere in Middle-earth and follow it through all five volumes.

EVERY THING
From stars and streams to food and flora, everything found in Middle-earth is alphabetically listed and, when necessary, cross-referenced.

HERE IS TRULY A MASTER KEY
TO TOLKIEN’S MIDDLE-EARTH

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:36 -0400)

Tolkien's world from A to Z.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,658,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible