Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense…

Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design

by Robert Hoekman Jr.

English (4)  German (1)  All (5)
Not a bad book. Seems strong on identifying problems and good practical advice on setting up your workflow. Some of the solutions and examples chosen seemed weak to me. Off the top of my head the example for "following the banana" is really weak, although it's a principle I really like. Some of the forms ended up seeming really cluttered.

There was also once or twice I almost expected a quotation from Donald Norman but it didn't quite happen.

A nice, fast read that should make you think a bit but if you've read a lot on usability/web design I'm not sure you'll get a lot new....still, not a bad read at all.
  JonathanGorman | Oct 31, 2009 |
Definitely a must-read book for web developers and people interested in usability for the web. Lacked a chapter on accessibility. ( )
  xavierroy | Aug 19, 2009 |
Robert Hoekman does an outstanding job of pushing the points home in this book that describes the dos and don'ts of web design. There is a little humor in it which makes it a very ... more » easy read. He uses a number of examples that illustrate the points he's making. After reading this book, I find myself constantly critiquing websites, thinking such things as "if only they did it this way..." This is a great addition to any web designers library if they want to help with the revolution of making the web easier to use! ( )
  mmickelson | Mar 13, 2008 |
A great book for anyone building web sites and/or applications. He details different approaches to creating usable applications that server, well, users! Not marketing folks (of which I'm one), not developers, just users. He also gives many great examples. In fact, this book has turned me on to more great sites than any book I've read. Hoekman is sort of a web 2.0 version of Jakob Nielsen, and his advice goes solidly beyond just building nice sites...he really dives into approaches and methodologies that can be applied. ( )
  brucehartley | Feb 13, 2007 |
"In all, this is a worthwhile addition to the literature on Web design and although there is overlap with [Nielsen's Designing Web Usability and Krug's Don't Make Me Think], there is no harm in the repetition of helpful lessons."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 032145345X, Paperback)

Designing the Obvious belongs in the toolbox of every person charged with the design and development of Web-based software, from the CEO to the programming team. Designing the Obvious explores the character traits of great Web applications and uses them as guiding principles of application design so the end result of every project instills customer satisfaction and loyalty. These principles include building only whats necessary, getting users up to speed quickly, preventing and handling errors, and designing for the activity. Designing the Obvious does not offer a one-size-fits-all development process--in fact, it lets you use whatever process you like. Instead, it offers practical advice about how to achieve the qualities of great Web-based applications and consistently and successfully reproduce them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:23 -0400)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,140,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible