Berserk, Vol. 1 by Kentaro Miura

Berserk, Vol. 1 (edition 2003)

by Kentaro Miura (Author), Kentaro Miura (Illustrator)

Series: Berserk (1)

393938,619 (4)19
Member:krau0098
Title:Berserk, Vol. 1
Authors:Kentaro Miura (Author)
Other authors:Kentaro Miura (Illustrator)
Info:Dark Horse Manga (2003), Edition: 1st Edition, 224 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:dark fantasy, fantasy, horror, manga, seinen, demons

Berserk, Volume 1 by Kentaro Miura

English (7)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (9)
Did not like the story or writing at all. Hated the art. ( )
  Fearshop | Mar 31, 2018 |
I have watched all the Berserk anime up to this point (including the Golden Age arc) and wanted to read the manga. My husband started reading the manga many years ago and I am not sure what took me so long to pick them up. This is a very violent almost horror-like fantasy manga series and is not for the faint of heart.

In this first book we meet Guts (the Black Swordsman) and Puck. Guts has been branded and labeled a sacrifice and attracts all sorts of demons to him, which he brutally slays. Guts is one of those characters that take a licking and keeps on ticking. He is brutally tortured a number of times in the book, yet manages to decimate his foes with his incredibly enormous sword.

In this book we are also introduced to the Apostles; fiends of god-like power who are after anyone with the brand. These Apostles seem to thrive off of human misery and Guts has made it his mission to take them down.

The illustration is really well done and easy to follow. There is a lot of action in this book but also solid world-building and interesting characters. The story is very graphic and violent, so just be aware of that. If you find violence, torture, and gore extremely abhorrent this isn’t the manga series for you.

Overall this was an amazing start to this manga series. Unlike other manga series this one sucks you right in and builds a great story right from the first volume. I really am enjoying it and would recommend to mature manga readers who enjoy action fantasy manga. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 10, 2017 |
If Robert E. Howards Conan met H.P. Lovecrafts monsters that book would be called Berserk, That's a good summation of what this book is like. It's a very adult oriented book with looks of blood and guts. Theres a story here book the fighting is the star of this book. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | May 22, 2015 |
Sono ancora fermo ai primi (intorno al 15) ma la storia è intrigante e ha dei bei personaggi! ( )
  Malla-kun | Sep 22, 2012 |
This is not a graphic novel series for a young/teenage audience. The violence in this one is much more central and graphic/gory. Nothing is left to the imagination and some panels add to your list of "oh my god, I never want see anyone die that way for real!" It's very explicit and very graphic. That being said, I enjoyed the story. Guts is not your typical "hero". He only really looks after himself. His story is a depressing one. But there are hints here that show promise of a deep story line. And since this is my third or fourth reread of the series in as many years, I can say that yes, the story line here is amazing. Puck is the comical relief. Again, for a mature and un-squeamish audience. I can also say that the artwork gets better. Not that it's bad, I'm just used to the later volumes where the detail gets even better. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 4, 2011 |

The Black Swordsman, Guts, who is marked with "The Brand," which draws demonic forces toward him, embarks on a quest for vengeance, along with his companion Puck, an annoying elf.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,973,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible