Berserk, Volume 2 by Kentaro Miura

Berserk, Volume 2 (1991)

by Kentaro Miura

Series: Berserk (2)

This is the 2nd volume in the Berserk series and continues the battle started in the first book. We find out that the evil Count is much more evil than even Guts first thought. The book is full of detailed battle scenes and we get a little more background on the brand Guts wears.

We also learn more about Guts as a character. Despite his bad attitude and the gruff and careless way he treats his companions, we find out that it does bother him some to leave the weak to their fate. However he’s fighting a larger battle and can’t afford to be distracted.

The illustration continues to be very well done and is easy to follow. I felt like the story didn’t make as much progress as it did in the first volume; hopefully this arc will start to wrap up in volume 3. This volume is basically one long battle between Guts and the Count’s demon.

Overall I enjoyed this volume and thought the action scenes were incredibly well done, the illustration is also very detailed and well done. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 17, 2017 |
First off, again, this is not for those who do not like blood, grotesque injuries or an insane protagonist. :) This is something I did not connect with when I first read this series. This time around I am convinced that Guts has gone slightly insane. The first read he just seemed like a bastard. But now that I know Guts and his history and who he used to be, I can see that he is not completely in character. My take on it is that he has been driven mad. And no wonder with monsters hunting you down everywhere. It makes me love Guts even more. He fights so hard. The artwork is still not what I remember from the overall series, but it’s only the second volume. I know it gets even better. The volume ends on a big cliffhanger so be sure to have the next volume close at hand. Read, enjoy and get ready for a fantastic fantasy story :) ( )
  Kassilem | Jan 31, 2013 |
Volume two of the Berserk manga continues the saga of bloody retribution the protagonist, Guts, seeks to visit upon the demons who have marked him for death and damnation. The story arc began in the first volume, The Guardians of Desire, encompasses the entirety of this volume, leaving Guts's pursuit of the rotund demon governor unresolved despite two lengthy parts to the story.

While the first volume makes no secret of Guts's disregard, and even downright scorn for the innocent people his actions and position tend to put into danger (with often tragic results), in this volume there can be no mistaking that this is a different kind of hero than we're used to seeing in traditional stories. In The Guardians of Desire, part two, upon securing a behelit from a deformed physician who is later executed by the governor, Guts simply walks away, not even bothering to thank the man who helped him. When he chooses not to stop the man's execution, he swears not to fail at killing the governor... as the physician did, he says. This kind of cavalier attitude paints Guts as a less sympathetic hero than most may be used to, but also points up the nature he has cultivated when dealing with demons and who knows what else, so it still makes for a compelling bit of character development.

TGoD, pt. 3 ends on a cliffhanger, with Guts confronting the demon governor one-on-one, and fighting him to the point where the demon begins to take the confrontation more seriously, but who also clearly has the upper hand. Puck, at this point, has been captured and given as a gift to the governor's human daughter, and we wonder if it might be better for him/her/it to stay with her than to return to the often thankless Guts, who he runs off to assist in his battle with the governor at first opportunity.

Again, while this isn't a title for the YA section, it is a well-crafted story that contains compelling characters, dark humor, and a plot that continues to expand and deepen, guaranteeing that those who start the story will be drawn in and clamor to continue Guts's adventures. ( )
  elementallibrarian | May 3, 2008 |

The evil Count uses his dark powers to transform a defeated guard captain into an inhuman horror to combat Guts, the Black Swordsman. Puck, Guts' pint-sized fairy sidekick, is captured when he attempts to stop an old doctor's execution, and he is given as a gift to the count's daughter, a sweet girl in a gilded cage, imprisoned by her father in her own room. Guts, determined to make mincemeat of the Count, assaults the castle and carves a swath of blood-soaked destruction through the Count's minions. Face-to-face with the Black Swordsman at last, the Count reveals his true form, and even Guts' super-sized sword may not be big enough to contend with this demonic monstrosity!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,504,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible