Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Trespasser by Tana French

The Trespasser (2016)

by Tana French

1,1869010,205 (4)79

Not my favorite Tana French book, but worth the time. ( )
  keithostertag | Feb 15, 2019 |
I was super excited when I discovered that Moran and Conway – the detectives on the case in The Secret Place – were back in this latest installment in Tana French’s Dublin Murder Squad series. I was a little bummed that the story is being told from the point of view of Conway as I find Moran a more interesting character but mixing things up is in keeping with French’s habit of always doing something different with each book. The murder is a good one, starting out looking like a simple open and shut case of domestic violence, only to quickly prove to be otherwise. French takes the reader down rabbit holes and spins us (and our investigating detectives) around. I like murder mysteries that have twists and turns, to keep me guessing. The downside – for me – with this one is that it has its lulls – I tend to get bored with the interrogation room tactics and this book fills enough pages it could be subtitled “Dublin Murder Squad Interrogation Playbook”. That, and the “reveal” of the shadowy figure that lurks at the top of Conway’s street comes across, to me, as some strange add-on for suspense build. I just wasn’t satisfied with the rationale for including it as a sub-plot in this story. Beyond those downsides, I still found this one to be a kraken’ good read. Not my favorite in the series, but still a good one. ( )
  lkernagh | Feb 14, 2019 |
Definitely a cut above your typical police procedural. French's psychological portrayals of her characters are convincing and realistic, her capture of the tensions within the squad equally so, and there is a deeper thread running through too as she hints at the power of stories to shape action and individuals. My only slight disappointment was that the depiction of Dublin didn't really bring the place alive for me. 23 October 2018 ( )
  alanca | Oct 24, 2018 |
Will there be another in this series? If not, the author goes out on a high. Antoinette Conway and Steve Moran from The Secret Place are back in what looks to be a fairly straight forward murder of a woman who was being stalked - but as Tana French readers know and love, not much is ever simple in the Dublin Murder Squad. Sure, there are the obvious "domestics" - but this isn't one. Antoinette's getting hassled by much of the squad - she's brown skinned and strong - and she's ready to finish this case and turn in her papers for a lucrative private security gig. Almost. The riveting interrogations and a twist that puts Conway in the same boat as the victim make this a fantastic read, with an incredibly satisfying resolution. And, unlike the other four books, there's little left on the table, which makes me fear that this is truly The End.

Quote: "Time after time it's left me gobsmacked, how people will tell you things they should keep locked inside for life; how ferociously they need the story to be out in the air, in the world, to exist somewhere outside their own heads." ( )
  froxgirl | Sep 20, 2018 |
I love the Dublin Murder Squad series, and this book delivers exactly the kind of can't-put-it-down mystery I've come to expect. The protagonist and supporting cast are great here. I was surprised by the solution to the mystery, and the ending was satisfying. ( )
  lavaturtle | Jul 29, 2018 |
For Oonagh
Prologue:
My ma used to tell me stories about my da.
Chapter 1: The case comes in, or anyway it comes in to us, on a frozen dawn in the kind of closed-down January that makes you think the sun's never going to drag itself back above the horizon.
Where I'm seeing a dead end, he's seeing a brilliant new twist to his amazing story. I wish I could take my holidays inside Steve's head.

There's the murder squad you set your sights on, back at the beginning of your career: the one where you spend your day playing knife-edge mind-games with psychopathic geniuses, knowing that one wrong blink could mean the difference between victory or another dead body.

And there's the one you actually work on, when you're the squad pariah. The night shifts. The vicious jabs and the pranks that go too far. Processing scumbags and matching witness statements, sifting the dregs for the case that might get you closer to where you want to be.

Tonight's case isn't it. Uniforms call it in as a slam-dunk domestic. except when Conway takes a good look at the victim's face, she realises she's seen her somewhere before. And suddenly the conviction that there's a different answer takes her breath away.

THIS IS THE CASE SHE IMAGINED. PRECISION-CUT AND SAVAGE, LITHE AND MOMENTOUS

BUT YOU CAN BEAT ONE KILLER. BEATING YOUR OWN SQUAD IS A WHOLE OTHER THING.

A brilliant new novel from the New York Times bestselling author, whom Gillian Flynn calls "mesmerizing" and Stephen King calls "incandescent."

Being on the Murder squad is nothing like Detective Antoinette Conway dreamed it would be. Her partner, Stephen Moran, is the only person who seems glad she’s there. The rest of her working life is a stream of thankless cases, vicious pranks, and harassment. Antoinette is savagely tough, but she’s getting close to the breaking point.

Their new case looks like yet another by-the-numbers lovers’ quarrel gone bad. Aislinn Murray is blond, pretty, groomed to a shine, and dead in her catalogue-perfect living room, next to a table set for a romantic dinner. There’s nothing unusual about her—except that Antoinette’s seen her somewhere before.

And that her death won’t stay in its neat by-numbers box. Other detectives are trying to push Antoinette and Steve into arresting Aislinn’s boyfriend, fast. There’s a shadowy figure at the end of Antoinette's road. Aislinn's friend is hinting that she knew Aislinn was in danger. And everything they find out about Aislinn takes her further from the glossy, passive doll she seemed to be.

Antoinette knows the harassment has turned her paranoid, but she can’t tell just how far gone she is. Is this case another step in the campaign to force her off the squad, or are there darker currents flowing beneath its polished surface?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:06:33 -0400)

"Being on the Murder Squad is nothing like Detective Antoinette Conway dreamed it would be. Her partner, Stephen Moran, is the only person who seems glad she's there. The rest of her working life is a stream of thankless cases, vicious pranks, and harassment. Antoinette is savagely tough, but she's getting close to the breaking point. Their new case looks like yet another by-the-numbers lovers' quarrel gone bad. Aislinn Murray is blond, pretty, groomed to a shine, and dead in her catalog-perfect living room, next to a table set for a romantic dinner. There's nothing unusual about her-- except that Antoinette's seen her somewhere before. And that her death won't stay in its neat by-numbers box. Other detectives are trying to push Antoinette and Steve into arresting Aislinn's boyfriend, fast. There's a shadowy figure at the end of Antoinette's road. Aislinn's friend is hinting that she knew Aislinn was in danger. And everything they find out about Aislinn takes her further from the glossy, passive doll she seemed to be. Antoinette knows the harassment has turned her paranoid, but she can't tell just how far gone she is. Is this case another step in the campaign to force her off the squad, or are there darker currents flowing beneath its polished surface?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,417,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible