Snakecharm by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Snakecharm (2004)

by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Series: The Kiesha'ra Series (2)

613None15,877 (3.84)1 / 15

As I've mentioned in [b:Hawksong|30334|Hawksong (The Kiesha'ra, #1)|Amelia Atwater-Rhodes|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255885493s/30334.jpg|2219294]'s review, these books, though a delightful read, left me wanting.

One thing I should add when it comes to [b:Snakecharm|30329|Snakecharm (The Kiesha'ra, #2)|Amelia Atwater-Rhodes|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1275833073s/30329.jpg|4064] is how well the author dealt with how the "inter-species" (in a way) marriage worked and the difficulties that came from raising a child of two cultures. Most books tend to sweep these conflicts under the Happy Ever After rug, it's always a nice treat when an author does not shy from these issues. Granted, it's fantasy, but these are also issues prevalent in the real world and [b:Amelia Atwater-Rhodes|8766057|Amelia Atwater-Rhodes|Ingram Book Group|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nocover-60x80.jpg|13639462] did a very good job writing about them.

As happened in [b:Hawksong|30334|Hawksong (The Kiesha'ra, #1)|Amelia Atwater-Rhodes|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255885493s/30334.jpg|2219294], things felt a bit rushed. It's baffling, really, I would gladly give them a 4 or a 5 if only the author had not seemed in such a hurry to finish.

Still, recommended to anyone who likes political marriages between sworn enemies that end in love (which should be just about anyone who's into romance). ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
I was charmed into reading this second installment of the Kiesha'ra series, drawn in by the promise of a unique arrangement of culture saving itself from war. I wasn't horribly unsatisfied with this book, but I did feel that it lacked a lot of what the first book had. That is bound to happen when you move from war-time into an era of peace, where people have mostly learned to get along, but I felt it maybe happened a little too quickly. The plot was rather predictable and I didn't feel as if the characters had as much substance as the first time around. There was most certainly a feeling of not needing to be as descriptive or eloquent because the first book covered all that. Short and maybe just a little sweet, that was Snakecharm in a nutshell. Not the best, but it didn't put me off finishing the series. ( )
  mirrani | Aug 4, 2013 |
Awesome companion novel to Hawksong. Enjoyed every minute of it, and can't wait for more! ( )
  Allizabeth | Jul 17, 2011 |
A terribly disappointing second installment of a series that seemed mediocre to begin with. This second book relegates the mysterious Zane to the role of narrator, which falls completely flat, and the romance between Zane and Danica simply doesn't exist anymore... even though they're newlywed teenagers.

The plot is dull and boring, there is absolutely no character development whatsoever, and the author took the easy way out in the ending by telling us how the problem was solved instead of showing the action/confrontation that we were expecting (and hoping for, as it would at least give some sense of satisfaction for slogging through the book).

Honestly, I'm not really sure why I kept reading this. About halfway through, I set the book down and planned to just give up, but I picked it up again... needless to say, I won't be reading the rest of this series, and I suspect it will be a long time before I try any of Atwater-Rhodes' work again.

That said, it has been 4 years since the publication of this book, and it's certainly possible that her work has matured during this time... but will I bother? I doubt it. ( )
2 vote dk_phoenix | Jan 20, 2010 |
This was a short continuation of the series, an emissary from the powerful and scary falcon people arrives looking for a fugitive. She is appalled at the thought that the avian and serpente people are trying to create peace, and threatens it will never work. She also claims that the falcons will never allow a mixed-blood child to survive, namely an heirs that Danica and Zane might produce.

I liked this one too, despite its shortness.
  Ilithyia | Jan 16, 2010 |

Amelia Atwater-Rhodesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When Egypt was young, and the pyramids were being built with the aweat and blood of slavery, there lived a small civilization on the outskirts of society, led by a coven of thirteen men and women called the Dasi.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038573493X, Paperback)

ZANE COBRIANA, COBRA shapeshifter, thanks the gods every day for Danica, his hawk pair bond, and the peace their union has brought to the avian and serpiente. Soon, Danica will have a child to carry on their royal line. But what should be a happy time is riddled with doubt.

Syfka, an ancient falcon, has arrived from Ahnmik claiming that one of her people is hidden in their midst. The falcons are more powerful than the avians and serpiente combined, and Syfka shows nothing but contempt for Zane and Danica’s alliance. To Zane’s horror, his own people seem just as appalled as Syfka is by the thought of a mixed-blood child becoming heir to the throne. Is Syfka’s lost falcon just a ruse to stir up controversy among them? The truth lies somewhere in their tangled pasts—and the search will redefine Zane and Danica’s fragile future.

Praise for Hawksong:

“Atwater-Rhodes has created a stunning adventure that draws readers in and leaves them begging for more.”—School Library Journal, Starred

“Atwater-Rhodes takes a break from vampires to create two warring clans . . . [with] impressively complex cultures.”—Publishers Weekly

A VOYA Best Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror List selection

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:59 -0400)

The peace forged by the love between Zane and Danica, leaders of the avian and serpiente realms that had been at war for generations, is threatened by the arrival of Syfka, an ancient falcon who claims one of her people is hidden in their midst.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,429,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible