Accelerando by Charles Stross

Accelerando (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Charles Stross

Member:reading_fox
Title:Accelerando
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Ace Books (2006), Edition: Ebook 987 pages
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Science fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:!str, science fiction, weird sf, free, ebook, politics, economy, aliens, technology, AI, short stories, family, growing up, use, @2010, near future

Accelerando by Charles Stross (2005)

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (ahstrick)
    Glasshouse by Charles Stross (roundballnz)
    Permutation City by Greg Egan (amayzes)
    Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Extrapolation of how we interact with our informational devices and the digital world is an interesting done theme in both works.

English (87)  French (2)  Romanian (1)  All languages (90)
To be completely honest, I am half-way through this book and have NO idea what the crap is going on. (like none) That being said, I am so overly entertained by my bewilderment that I can't help but put a recommendation through. Read more visit my blog: http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2013/07/hey-punk.html ( )
  Girlscifi | Jan 16, 2016 |
I finally understand why Charles Stross is so popular even though I often find his fiction borderline unreadable. I think he writes for a tech savvy readership and they love him for it. It's great when an author gives you credit for intelligence and understanding and never talk down to you. However, while I know my way around Windows and Android phones I don't consider myself tech savvy, certainly my understanding of programming is minimal. A lot of what Stross puts in his fiction goes right over my head.

This is my third Stross book, originally it was going to be the first as it is available as a free e-book under Creative Commons licence, Unfortunately on that first attempt I could not read more than 50 pages and had to give it up. I had better luck with his [b:Singularity Sky|81992|Singularity Sky (Eschaton, #1)|Charles Stross|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386924988s/81992.jpg|1192005] which I quite enjoyed, not long after that I read [b:The Atrocity Archives|101869|The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1)|Charles Stross|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1434300755s/101869.jpg|322252] which I partially enjoyed, very much like my second attempt at Accelerando. I wanted to give Accelerando another try because it is a highly rated book among my friends at PrintSF online discussion group. While I don't rate the book quite so highly myself I kind of understand my peers' enthusiasm for it, there is a lot to admire in Accelerando even if the end result does not quite work for me.

Charles Stross has an immense imagination, he knows his science, and he has a sense of humour. In addition to all that his blogs and other online posts give the impression that he is a great guy, kind, friendly, modest, and enthusiastic about science and science fiction. The only snag is I find his prose style difficult to read. He employs a ton of technical jargon and neologism, most of which is never clarified I understand that he has numerous fans who do not have any problem comprehending his work, more power to them, I can only speak for myself.

Accelerando is a fix-up novel comprised of nine short stories about events shortly before the advent of the singularity, through the singularity and events post-singularity.There lies the weakness of the book as a novel for me, the nine stories do not bind together into one cohesive tale. The fix-up nature of the novel plays hell with the narrative rhythm, I find myself veering crazily back and forth between enjoying the book to feeling a bit bored and frustrated with it. The end result is on the positive side but not by a large margin. Practically every page is brimming with new ideas and concepts, sf readers who in this genre for the technological speculation is likely to have a field day. This is under the proviso that they are able to follow the author's technical expositions. I have to confess about 25% of these ideas flew right over my head, may be I just don't have enough bandwidth or storage space to cope with them. Be that as it may, the reading experience can be frustrating from time to time. Another complaint I have is with the characterization, most of the characters (except that weird cyber-cat) are of not worth caring about as Stross does not spend much time developing them, they just exist to drive the plot forward. I really do like the ideas that I was able to absorb though, especially those concerning posthumanism and Stross' speculation of what our race may eventually evolve or transcend into.

After being disappointed with [b:The Atrocity Archives|101869|The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1)|Charles Stross|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1434300755s/101869.jpg|322252] I kept telling myself that Charles Stross' sf books are just not for me, yet somehow his ideas always manage to entice me to pick up another one. I like Accelerando over all but I am also disappointed in it. The trouble is I am almost certain to read another one of his book in the near future and I probably won't enjoy it!

apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
This book is bad, but it was genuinely fun to read it.

Hence I'm giving it good mark - two orange stars of friendship and one rainbow star of pure joy. ( )
  bloodrizer | Nov 19, 2015 |
If I had stopped reading after the first section, this would have gotten 5 stars for sure. I was blown away by the first three chapters, but unfortunately the brilliance faded for me after that. ( )
  darushawehm | Oct 24, 2015 |
For Feòrag, with love
Manfred's on the road again, making strangers rich.

Table Of Contents:
PART 1: SLOW TAKEOFF Lobsters 3 (30)  Troubadour 33 (36)  Tourist 69 (38)
PART 2: POINT OF INFLECTION Halo 107 (40)  Router 147 (57)  Nightfall 204 (41)
PART 3: SINGULARITY Curator 245 (60)  Elector 305 (50)  Survivor 355

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014151, Mass Market Paperback)

The Singularity. It is the era of the posthuman. Artificial intelligences have surpassed the limits of human intellect. Biotechnological beings have rendered people all but extinct. Molecular nanotechnology runs rampant, replicating and reprogramming at will. Contact with extraterrestrial life grows more imminent with each new day.

Struggling to survive and thrive in this accelerated world are three generations of the Macx clan: Manfred, an entrepreneur dealing in intelligence amplification technology whose mind is divided between his physical environment and the Internet; his daughter, Amber, on the run from her domineering mother, seeking her fortune in the outer system as an indentured astronaut; and Sirhan, Amber’s son, who finds his destiny linked to the fate of all of humanity.

For something is systematically dismantling the nine planets of the solar system. Something beyond human comprehension. Something that has no use for biological life in any form...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:31 -0400)

Trying to cope with the unchecked technological innovations that have rendered humankind nearly obsolete, the members of the Macx family are confronted by an unknown enemy that is systematically attempting to annihilate all biological lifeforms.

3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,122,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible