Accelerando by Charles Stross

Accelerando (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Charles Stross

Member:reading_fox
Title:Accelerando
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Ace Books (2006), Edition: Ebook 987 pages
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Science fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:!str, science fiction, weird sf, free, ebook, politics, economy, aliens, technology, AI, short stories, family, growing up, use, @2010, near future

Accelerando by Charles Stross (2005)

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (ahstrick)
    Glasshouse by Charles Stross (roundballnz)
    Permutation City by Greg Egan (amayzes)
    Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Extrapolation of how we interact with our informational devices and the digital world is an interesting done theme in both works.

English (81)  French (2)  Romanian (1)  All languages (84)
Family businesses are always complicated and computational power can only make them worse. Take a good plot, mix it with a accelerating technological evolution and tell it using plenty of tech buzzwords. I found the result entertaining and kind of geek-fun. ( )
1 vote ivan.frade | Jul 7, 2014 |
A series of novellas rather than a single novel, more amazing pre- and post-Singularity ideas per page than anyone.
1 vote Clevermonkey | May 29, 2014 |
Uneven and shows its roots as a story collection. Act 1 is a muddled free-information screed that reaches its peak in one of the most embarrassingly bad scenes to present sex as political commentary. Act 2 becomes a rollicking space opera, Acts 3 and 4 seem to lose steam. ( )
  CBrachyrhynchos | Feb 4, 2014 |
Really good opening with some fantastic ideas, but seriously tails off towards the end. The idea of a man - and his descendants - who are key to all the major events as humanity escapes its earthly bounds is a sound one that is developed well. The discussions of what constitutes the 'singularity' and what it takes to define Artificial Intelligence are woven into the story effectively. However, I was left unmoved: the writing and the conclusion were just not good enough to propel it into the top flight. I liked 'Halting State' and I'm sure that I'll be reading more of his work, but on this acquaintance I'm pretty sure that Charles Stross will never be counted as one of the greats. ( )
  Noisy | Jan 11, 2014 |
Accelerando by Charles Stross

The last thing this book needs is another review. It seems to run the whole gamut of stars in the system. It's that type of book that has a love hate relationship. There seem to be a lot of complaints about the overflow of cyber geek talk which doesn't surprise me. What did surprise me is that I went right through this book with only a couple pauses to look up words. It seems I cut right through the geek talk without flinching. Maybe I should say blissfully through. Since it might be argued that I was bliss-ed just enough to remain unaffected.

What some of the longest -geek-speak passages reminded me of was some stuff I'd recently tried to digest at the Depau science fiction studies site.:: http://www.depauw.edu/sfs/backissues/81/fernbach81art.htm ::this one in particular was what kept coming to mind every time we took a trip down through all the buzzwords and slang from every notion of cyber punk and the socioeconomic of the net. There were complaints that this is not how they will be talking in the distant future. Get real people if you can pick out the slang I will give you that but buzzwords are forever they just shift around in meaning through the years.

I suppose if you can read the articles for the science fiction studies without much pause then Accelerando shouldn't affect you. There is something to say about the characters being a bit distanced and dysfunctional enough that you don't seem to feel for them. I have a feeling that Charles Stross may have been going for that.

Another thing that Charles did was he put together a tough combination of things that would drive any writers forum crazy. Much of this book is written in first person and present tense. Other part seem to be third person- close- and present tense. These alone are not easy tasks to pull off. Then there are those long and greatly punctuated sentences that would grind on the nerves of the OCD driven punctuation people at a certain forum I will leave unnamed here.

Charles pulls this all off well. I would almost guess he might be thumbing his nose at these forums that are trying to spit out cookie cutter writers. All of them clones of the churlish administrator who is still learning to write. And this is where I can see that a few people might not like this book. Not because it is not written well or that it is full of geek-speak but because it doesn't conform to what the majority of books are that are spit out by the presses of the large publishing houses.

Sure there might be some Science in this story that is suspect. It is after all science fiction and the best of them that have started from the most solid what-if have all digressed a bit and wandered off the path. I again think that Charles has done well.

Of course there is the notion that these separate stories do not quite congeal together well even though they are about the members of the same dysfunctional family. To that I say we missed a larger point. These are not just the story of Manfred Macx and his wives and children and grandchildren. This is the story of the birth of an AI (catlike) and its growth into something that transcends its creator.

*Possible spoiler-------------------------------------------------
This is Aineko's story- Aineko is there all the way through the whole story. Right to the end. And I'll admit that its hard to empathize with Aineko but that might be because it's not really human. ( )
1 vote JLDobias | Nov 10, 2013 |
For Feòrag, with love
Manfred's on the road again, making strangers rich.

Table Of Contents:
PART 1: SLOW TAKEOFF Lobsters 3 (30)  Troubadour 33 (36)  Tourist 69 (38)
PART 2: POINT OF INFLECTION Halo 107 (40)  Router 147 (57)  Nightfall 204 (41)
PART 3: SINGULARITY Curator 245 (60)  Elector 305 (50)  Survivor 355

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014151, Mass Market Paperback)

The Singularity. It is the era of the posthuman. Artificial intelligences have surpassed the limits of human intellect. Biotechnological beings have rendered people all but extinct. Molecular nanotechnology runs rampant, replicating and reprogramming at will. Contact with extraterrestrial life grows more imminent with each new day.

Struggling to survive and thrive in this accelerated world are three generations of the Macx clan: Manfred, an entrepreneur dealing in intelligence amplification technology whose mind is divided between his physical environment and the Internet; his daughter, Amber, on the run from her domineering mother, seeking her fortune in the outer system as an indentured astronaut; and Sirhan, Amber’s son, who finds his destiny linked to the fate of all of humanity.

For something is systematically dismantling the nine planets of the solar system. Something beyond human comprehension. Something that has no use for biological life in any form...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:15 -0400)

Trying to cope with the unchecked technological innovations that have rendered humankind nearly obsolete, the members of the Macx family are confronted by an unknown enemy that is systematically attempting to annihilate all biological lifeforms.

3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible