Accelerando by Charles Stross

Accelerando (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Charles Stross

Member:reading_fox
Title:Accelerando
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Ace Books (2006), Edition: Ebook 987 pages
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Science fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:!str, science fiction, weird sf, free, ebook, politics, economy, aliens, technology, AI, short stories, family, growing up, use, @2010, near future

Accelerando by Charles Stross (2005)

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (ahstrick)
    Glasshouse by Charles Stross (roundballnz)
    Permutation City by Greg Egan (amayzes)
    Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Extrapolation of how we interact with our informational devices and the digital world is an interesting done theme in both works.

English (90)  French (2)  Romanian (1)  English (93)
I don't remember much about this one. Weird tech-y stuff. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
To be completely honest, I am half-way through this book and have NO idea what the crap is going on. (like none) That being said, I am so overly entertained by my bewilderment that I can't help but put a recommendation through. Read more visit my blog: http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2013/07/hey-punk.html ( )
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
Hard to follow in some places due to the concepts of multiple identities but well written. ( )
  kale.dyer | Mar 29, 2016 |
"From the book itself:

"An old-fashioned book, covering 3 generations, living through interesting times... A work of postmodern history, the incoherent school at that - how do you document people who fork their identities at random, spend years dead before reappearing on the stage, and have arguments with their own relativistically preserved other copy? ... I thought that perhaps as a narrative hook I'd make the offstage viewpoint that of the family's robot cat."

Yep. That about sums it up.
(That quote is not from the blurb, btw, but from within the text.)

It's an ambitious book - but, overall, an annoying one. It's so self-consciously uber-hip, saturated with today's geek-speak. Although it aims to be a sort of "accelerated future-history," it already feels dated. The story - such as it is - really takes a back seat to the concepts - which could be OK, except that the concepts are really quite unbelievable, to the point of being uninteresting. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
  Girlscifi | Jan 16, 2016 |

Charles Strossprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Feòrag, with love
Manfred's on the road again, making strangers rich.

Table Of Contents:
PART 1: SLOW TAKEOFF Lobsters 3 (30)  Troubadour 33 (36)  Tourist 69 (38)
PART 2: POINT OF INFLECTION Halo 107 (40)  Router 147 (57)  Nightfall 204 (41)
PART 3: SINGULARITY Curator 245 (60)  Elector 305 (50)  Survivor 355

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014151, Mass Market Paperback)

The Singularity. It is the era of the posthuman. Artificial intelligences have surpassed the limits of human intellect. Biotechnological beings have rendered people all but extinct. Molecular nanotechnology runs rampant, replicating and reprogramming at will. Contact with extraterrestrial life grows more imminent with each new day.

Struggling to survive and thrive in this accelerated world are three generations of the Macx clan: Manfred, an entrepreneur dealing in intelligence amplification technology whose mind is divided between his physical environment and the Internet; his daughter, Amber, on the run from her domineering mother, seeking her fortune in the outer system as an indentured astronaut; and Sirhan, Amber’s son, who finds his destiny linked to the fate of all of humanity.

For something is systematically dismantling the nine planets of the solar system. Something beyond human comprehension. Something that has no use for biological life in any form...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:31 -0400)

Trying to cope with the unchecked technological innovations that have rendered humankind nearly obsolete, the members of the Macx family are confronted by an unknown enemy that is systematically attempting to annihilate all biological lifeforms.

109 wanted3 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,663,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible