Accelerando by Charles Stross

Accelerando (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Charles Stross

2,419852,567 (3.79)78
Member:reading_fox
Title:Accelerando
Authors:Charles Stross
Info:Ace Books (2006), Edition: Ebook 987 pages
Collections:Recommendations ONLY, Ebooks, Your library, Science fiction
Rating:***1/2
Tags:!str, science fiction, weird sf, free, ebook, politics, economy, aliens, technology, AI, short stories, family, growing up, use, @2010, near future

Accelerando by Charles Stross (2005)

A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (ahstrick)
    Glasshouse by Charles Stross (roundballnz)
    Permutation City by Greg Egan (amayzes)
    Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge (PortiaLong)
    PortiaLong: Extrapolation of how we interact with our informational devices and the digital world is an interesting done theme in both works.

English (82)  French (2)  Romanian (1)  All languages (85)
according to most people who care about this stuff, is the point in time where technology progresses at such a rate that it becomes impossible to understand what happens next for people who are living *before* the singularity.

I humbly propose an alternate explanation: it's the point in time after which I stop caring about the characters in a science fiction novel. So, in this case, the Singularity happens around page 120.
From then onwards, I was reading on autopilot... the author is good at describing mega-homungous-hyper-concepts and has surely a good grasp of a large number of scientific fields, a vast arrays of memes and is happy to throw in-jokes at his Slashdot crowd... problem is, when things get really really very advanced, life and death stop to have meaning, reality can be bent at will and everything (and everyone) is a virtual machine running some sort of simulation sofware, possibly on a stack of other virtual machines simulating everything above and below every layer of reality....

Who cares?

Not me. I suppose that The Culture could be considered post-singularity, but -maybe by injecting a good dose of Good Old Space Opera tropes, Banks succeeds in keeping me interested in his characters and plots. Or at least it does most of the time. ( )
  pamar | Aug 25, 2014 |
Family businesses are always complicated and computational power can only make them worse. Take a good plot, mix it with a accelerating technological evolution and tell it using plenty of tech buzzwords. I found the result entertaining and kind of geek-fun. ( )
1 vote ivan.frade | Jul 7, 2014 |
A series of novellas rather than a single novel, more amazing pre- and post-Singularity ideas per page than anyone.
1 vote Clevermonkey | May 29, 2014 |
Uneven and shows its roots as a story collection. Act 1 is a muddled free-information screed that reaches its peak in one of the most embarrassingly bad scenes to present sex as political commentary. Act 2 becomes a rollicking space opera, Acts 3 and 4 seem to lose steam. ( )
  CBrachyrhynchos | Feb 4, 2014 |
Really good opening with some fantastic ideas, but seriously tails off towards the end. The idea of a man - and his descendants - who are key to all the major events as humanity escapes its earthly bounds is a sound one that is developed well. The discussions of what constitutes the 'singularity' and what it takes to define Artificial Intelligence are woven into the story effectively. However, I was left unmoved: the writing and the conclusion were just not good enough to propel it into the top flight. I liked 'Halting State' and I'm sure that I'll be reading more of his work, but on this acquaintance I'm pretty sure that Charles Stross will never be counted as one of the greats. ( )
  Noisy | Jan 11, 2014 |
For Feòrag, with love
Manfred's on the road again, making strangers rich.

Table Of Contents:
PART 1: SLOW TAKEOFF Lobsters 3 (30)  Troubadour 33 (36)  Tourist 69 (38)
PART 2: POINT OF INFLECTION Halo 107 (40)  Router 147 (57)  Nightfall 204 (41)
PART 3: SINGULARITY Curator 245 (60)  Elector 305 (50)  Survivor 355

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441014151, Mass Market Paperback)

The Singularity. It is the era of the posthuman. Artificial intelligences have surpassed the limits of human intellect. Biotechnological beings have rendered people all but extinct. Molecular nanotechnology runs rampant, replicating and reprogramming at will. Contact with extraterrestrial life grows more imminent with each new day.

Struggling to survive and thrive in this accelerated world are three generations of the Macx clan: Manfred, an entrepreneur dealing in intelligence amplification technology whose mind is divided between his physical environment and the Internet; his daughter, Amber, on the run from her domineering mother, seeking her fortune in the outer system as an indentured astronaut; and Sirhan, Amber’s son, who finds his destiny linked to the fate of all of humanity.

For something is systematically dismantling the nine planets of the solar system. Something beyond human comprehension. Something that has no use for biological life in any form...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:15 -0400)

Trying to cope with the unchecked technological innovations that have rendered humankind nearly obsolete, the members of the Macx family are confronted by an unknown enemy that is systematically attempting to annihilate all biological lifeforms.

3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,011,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible