The Immortals Quartet by Tamora Pierce

A good series - a good story - overall. A rich expansion on Tortall's history. Reading it does make me want to read the rest again, too - as always when I read a Pierce story. I still like the simplest story - Wild Magic - best. But unlike some series, I don't regret reading the others. Y'know, though, I could just skip Emperor Mage - no, people who first show up there become important later. Ah well. Detailed reviews on the individual books. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 19, 2010 |
Wild Magic:
Daine is alone without anything or anyone after losing her family in an incident that she feels she can't share, but she's soon taken on as an assistant horsemaster because of her peculiar way with animals. She's given a chance to learn to control her unusual powers and save the day if she can learn to trust herself and others.
I didn't expect to like Wild Magic as much as I liked the Alanna books at all, but I had fun reading this. I don't like the character Daine as much as Alanna, and this book kind of spoiled some things for me as I haven't been able to get my hands on the 4th Alanna book, but it was still very enjoyable with fun characters and great action. Tamora Pierce is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Wolf-speaker
In Wolf-speaker, Daine is called upon by her wolf pack to help in a troubled region of Tortall. She doesn't expect such trouble or suspect what powerful forces have brought her to Dunlath to be a bridge for all the People.
This was an enjoyable read. It sets the groundwork for what is to come in the story of Daine, and it contained a lot of fun characters.

Emperor Mage
Daine gets sent to Carthak as part of a peace delegation for Tortall, but the corrupt Emperor has other plans.
Still enjoying Daine's story and her friends. Looking forward to finishing the final book of the Quartet, The Realms of the Gods.
Emperor Mage turned out the be my favorite of the series.

The Realms of the Gods
I enjoyed the finale to The Immortals series, but I still prefer The Song of the Lioness series more. I wasn't crazy about the romance in this one, but I think I always say that about adventure stories. I ended up liking Daine a lot more than I thought I would from the beginning, and I almost always enjoy tales of great deeds. I'm looking forward to starting the Protector of the Small series after a small break. ( )
  alwright1 | Jun 24, 2009 |
A great series. I liked the natural elements of it and the main characters Dane and Numair were real and relatable. ( )
  Miranda_Paige | May 5, 2009 |
This is an omnibus edition of the middle quartet of the Tortall series. You don't have to have read the first quartet to understand this one however. It stands quite well on its own. Our heroine is a young girl who has Wild Magic and can talk to most of the animals in her land. The Immortals of the title are beings that were forced from the land by the human mages. This series tells the story of the Immortals' fight to come back to Tortall and the humans fight to keep them out.

This is a young adult series, but is great fun for adults as well. Pierce is great at world building and describes everything so the reader can see exactly what she's talking about. Her characters are well-drawn and grow throughout the series - something sometimes lacking from YA material. This series would be especially good for young girls, peopled as it is with a great number of strong female characters. ( )
4 vote dulcibelle | Feb 14, 2009 |

Tamora Pierceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Newbold, GregCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

A giftable boxed set of Tamora Pierce’s second acclaimed Tortall quartet: The Immortals. These four books chronicle the time when immortal creatures invade the world of Tortall and a girl called Daine is found to help the humans in their struggles. With help from the powerful mage Numair, Daine learns the immensity of her own wild magic, which enables her to speak to animals and ultimately to become one.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:29 -0400)

Wild magic: The mage Numair, the knight Alanna, and Queen Thayet enlist thirteen-year-old Daine's help to battle the dreadful immortal creatures that have recently begun to attack the kingdom of Tortall. Wolf-speaker: With the help of her animal friends, Daine fights to save the kingdom of Tortall from ambitious mortals and dangerous immortals. Emperor mage: When she is sent as part of the delegation from Tortall to negotiate a peace treaty with Carthak, fifteen-year-old Daine must use her powers to communicate with animals for more than healing the Carthak emperor's dying birds. Realms of the gods: While in the mystical realms of the gods along with Nunair, Daine learns the secrets of her past and the implications for her future as she and Nunair are compelled to return to the mortal world of Tortall to help fight against the immortals.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,452,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible