Rock Star by Roslyn Hardy Holcomb

An interracial romance between a woman who owns a bookstore and a man who’s a rock musician. While I found the writing occasionally clunky or charcters being way too psychologically aware to be believable, overall it was a fun story; the characters were interesting, and the author doesn’t gloss over the real problems the couple faces. (Plus, when Callie says to Bryan that the Alabama-Auburn game is practically a religious holiday and that everyone in the state basically sides with one or the other, Holcomb revealed her high Alabama Cred. It didn’t surprise me afterwards to read the bio and find that she herself is from Alabama.) ( )
  castiron | May 10, 2013 |
This is a refreshing book which not only deals with interracial relationships but also explores the emotions and problems that can occur when a woman gets romantically involved with a celebrity. Callie Lawson is a owner of a bookstore in Maple Fork,Alabama while Bryan Spencer is a lead singer of the L.A. rock band Storm Crow. Callie and Bryan meet when Byran goes to Callie's bookstore, Books and So Forth, to find science fiction books. Although Callie is intrigued by Bryan, she feels that he probably isn't interested in her since he is white and she is black. As time passes, Bryan starts coming by the bookstore more often and they start to become close. It is during that time that Callie finds out that Bryan was sent to stay at his manager's cabin to deal with the grief of his best friend and band mate Brodie's untimely death by a drug overdose. Bryan blames himself for Brodie's death and Callie helps him to get through his grief. While Bryan enjoys Callie's company and want to pursue a romantic relationship with her, Callie still views their relationship as just being friends. After a heated kiss in her parent's kitchen at a family gathering,Callie begins to view Bryan as a romantic prospect. While Callie sisters are excited at the idea of the their big sister dating a famous rock star, her parents are worried about not only the type of job he does but also the fact that he's a white man that they feel may be only trying to use her until he goes back to California. When the time comes for Bryan to return to California, his and Callie's bond is so strong, he can't bare to leave her in Alabama so he asks he to go with him to California. Callie is excited to go to California with Bryan yet, she is worried that Bryan will expect for their relationship to become sexual which is something she isn't ready for. During her time in California, Callie and Bryan grow even close and eventually, they take their relationship to the next level. Callie and Bryan become inseparatable which makes it even harder when Callie has to return to Maple Fork and Bryan has to resume his tour which Storm Crow. In the course of their time apart, they both realize how much they love and need each other.Throughout the novel, the reader gets to know the characters so intimately, you really want to know if Callie and Bryan will be together or will they let others pull them apart? There are so many reasons why I liked this book. I really enjoyed this book because I like the realistic dialogue between the characters. I was also impressed by how quick a read it was. I was drawn into the story from the first paragraph and was addicted. I also liked that the author chose to make the story about more than their racial difference; she chose to focus on how fame can effect a relationship. In addition, I was happy to see that that in reading the book, you can tell that the author has done her background work on life in the south in the way she writes about interactions in southern towns. This was truly a wonderful book that I could read again and again. ( )
  bamalibrarylady | Jan 14, 2010 |

Roslyn Hardy Holcomb is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,414,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible