Best Man to Die (Chief Inspector Wexford…

Best Man to Die (Chief Inspector Wexford Mysteries) (original 1969; edition 1987)

by Ruth Rendell

Member:ebeach
Title:Best Man to Die (Chief Inspector Wexford Mysteries)
Authors:Ruth Rendell
Info:Arrow Books
Collections:Your library, Have Read
Rating:***
Tags:800 LITERATURE: FICTION, Novel, Mystery, British, Inspector Wexford

The Best Man to Die by Ruth Rendell (1969)

English (9)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
Charlie Hatton, the best man for his friend's wedding, never makes it home from the bachelor party. Unusually for a police procedural, Inspector Wexford discovers the body, with a little help from the dog Wexford's daughter is watching for a friend. (Naturally Wexford, who is not a dog lover, ends up getting stuck caring for the dog.) The dead man's recent lifestyle doesn't match his income. Might the unknown source of Hatton's extra income have something to do with his death?

The relationships between Wexford and his colleagues, the witnesses, his family, and the dog, are more interesting than the case, which is rather dated. There's nothing particularly wrong with the writing or the plot, but it's probably not one of Rendell's best. I listened to the audio version read by Davina Porter, and I think I would have preferred a male reader for a book with mainly male characters. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jun 16, 2014 |
As usual, I enjoyed this police procedural featuring Inspector Wexford -- I've read nearly all of them. I prefer these to her more literary psychological thrillers (some published as Barbara Vine); one can certainly see the same artistry at work in both types of books. ( )
  auntieknickers | Jun 8, 2013 |
This was my first Rendell book, and it was great. I love her characters and it was fun reading her descriptions of England in the late 1960s. She reminds me of Agatha Christie, and that's always a good thing! ( )
  MsGumby | Apr 27, 2013 |
An early Wexford. Viewing and listening to Rendell's works is a different experience than reading them. Glad that I am finally doing the latter. Certainly Wexford is much different here than I had imagined him. I am not sure I like him as much as I did in the later books but still The Best Man to Die managed to keep my interest throughout. ( )
  ebeach | Nov 16, 2012 |
Not my cup of tea. Never was able to get into it, perhaps try another of her books some day because I may just have not been in the right space for it.

Like Agatha Christy with violence, not a noir tail. ( )
  jayacarl | May 13, 2012 |

Ruth Rendellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Usellini, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For George and Dora Herbert,
in gratitude for their
helpful advice
Jack Pertwee was getting married in the morning and the Kingsmarkham and District Darts Club were in the Dragon to give him what George Carter called a send-off.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345345304, Mass Market Paperback)

Who could have suspected that the exciting stag party for the groom would be the prelude to the murder of his close friend Charlie Hatton? And Charlie's death was only the first in a string of puzzling murders involving small-time gangsters, cheating husbands, and loose women. Now Chief Inspector Wexford and his assistant join forces with the groom to track down a killer . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:15 -0400)

Who could have suspected that the exciting stag party for the groom would be a prelude to the murder of his close friend Charlie Hatton? But it was - and Charlie's death sentence was only the first in a string of puzzling murders involving small-time gangsters, cheating husbands, and loose women.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible