Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

Blue Mars

by Kim Stanley Robinson

Series: Mars Trilogy (3)

English (30)  French (3)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All (35)
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
Recall enjoying the consideration of some of the social changes that may occur as humanity is split across planets. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jul 3, 2016 |
I lived with this series for a while: in the end, from my perspective, the Mars stuff was a pretext for the sociology, and the sociology was a pretext for something more powerful: exploring what it might be like to outlive yourself and how we might cope with an emergent utopia. And lots of sentimental moments, but that was okay, because I grew fond of these characters. And lush writing of the geology and geography, and visions of areoforming and areophany. Too much of it, of course, as with nine out of ten SF series, but I don't feel bad about indulging him. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Apr 8, 2016 |

If you liked 'Red Mars' a lot, and read it with sheer pleasure - then you should definitely go ahead and read 'Green Mars' and 'Blue Mars.'

If however, like me, you found 'Red Mars' to have some very interesting idea and details, and appreciated Kim Stanley Robinson's research into a broad range of fields for his epic dissertation on the possible ramifications of terraforming a planet, but ultimately found the experience of reading the novel akin to studying a somewhat-boring textbook, then you should probably skip these two sequels.

Unless, of course, like me, you have committed yourself to reading all the Hugo and Nebula award winners, in which case you will just have to go ahead and read them.

Basically, 'Blue' and 'Green Mars' are a lot more of the same, but with even more soap-opera-ish drama thrown in. The characters still exist wholly in service to the ideas/concepts of the book (and some get dropped unceremoniously by the wayside after having served their purpose, which makes the narrative structure feel a bit amorphous.)

Honestly, I found these sequels a slog. However, they did win awards, and other people obviously love them... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson - very good

I read Red Mars and Green Mars so long ago now (possibly when they came out) and kept saving this one for a time when I could pay it my full attention. That did put me at a slight disadvantage for a chapter or two whilst I got back into the rhythym of the plot and the characters, but was soon immersed back into the
plot.

I'm not going to try and condense the plot of all the books (they're around the 700 page mark), but Earth is overcrowded and headed for self destruction. They send a ship forth to Mars with a group of colonists to see if they can sustain a new life on a new world. They get termed 'The First Hundred' and all the books revolve around them. The first book is mostly about them settling on Mars and starting to build a new life and colony. Then we get onto the start of the Terraforming, the schisms in ideology, the addition of new settlers and the first of the children to be born there. Really, we're talking soap opera in space with the addition of some fairly weighty but interesting science. Underpinning it all is the
authors Eco-credentials and his dream of a utopia - his vision of Mars as a new start where everyone is equal and all the petty squabbles of earth are left behind.

The scariest thing about these books is how close we seem to be on the path to destruction that he's outlining - the trilogy was written in the 1990's - with the changes in our weather and the population movement that is already underway. I loved these three books and I'm told they're his best works. I went to #EdBookTweetUp2 on Monday and was discussing this with another fan - he'd read some other of KSR's books and not been quite so taken with them, but also loved the Mars Trilogy. Will see for myself soon as I have another of his books on Mount TBR!
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dixon, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elson, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, Jamie S. WarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lisa, David and Timothy
Mars is free now.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553573357, Mass Market Paperback)

The red planet is red no longer, as Mars has become a perfectly inhabitable world. But while Mars flourishes, Earth is  threatened by overpopulation and ecological disaster. Soon people look to Mars as a refuge, initiating a possible interplanetary conflict, as well as political strife between the Reds, who wish to preserve the planet in its desert state, and the Green "terraformers".  The ultimate fate of Earth, as well as the possibility of new explorations into the solar system, stand in the balance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:54 -0400)

After declaring independence from Earth, Mars still faces problems: an impending ice age, a search for religious meaning, and immigration. New medical discoveries enable people to live 200 years, causing overpopulation on Earth and the Martians object to being swamped by Earthmen. A replay of New World problems in space by the author of a trilogy, of which this is the last volume.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,101,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible