Chapterhouse: Dune [Dune #6] by Frank…

Chapterhouse: Dune [Dune #6] (original 1991; edition 1987)

by Frank Herbert

Member:MSWallack
Title:Chapterhouse: Dune [Dune #6]
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Ace (1987), Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Dune

Chapterhouse: Dune by Frank Herbert (1991)

English (23)  Italian (1)  All (24)
Ahh, Frank, to think this was your last book. The mysteries of Dune just beginning to truly unfold and you leave us.

So, this book delves even deeper into Herbert's sexual obsession. Everything in this story revolves around sex, or some sort of sexual perversion [addiction, child rape, etc].

If you can get past all that, there is actually a good story. Humanity has scattered into the great unknown after Leto II's stifling influence is removed. Now a part of that scattered humanity has returned, bent on conquest and domination: The Honored Matres.

But as the story unfolds, we learn that all is not as it seems. Do the Honored Matres return for pure dominance? Or is there another, a deeper, more chilling reason? One that the Million Worlds SHOULD be very afraid of?

Just as the tension ratchets up, the Bene Gesseret's plan for survival enacted, the book ends. And we are left hanging, wondering.

I can remember reading this in highschool, and feeling betrayed and wondering how an author could do such a thing as dying with a series unfinished. Ahh, the naivete of youth. Robert Jordan hadn't died, Rand Al'thor hadn't been in my mind yet. So this was my first experience with Story Interrupted.

And I stoically accepted it and let it scar my soul. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A disappointing end to the Dune series. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 8, 2015 |
I loved Dune, but each additional novel in the series seems to fall shorter than the last. ( )
  turtlesleap | Aug 16, 2015 |
One Bene Gesserit sister breaks the fourth wall briefly to observe that "it [all the sex] gets boring after a while". That is certainly true. But the book still manages to make some interesting political observations. The series was continued by others connected w/ the estate, but I'm not going to follow it. I get the feeling that they warped the plot and the characters to fit their many prequels.

There is no reason why Duncan Idaho, who was really not all that significant in "Dune", dead before the book is half done, and absent hanging out with Fremen before that, becomes so important in subsequent books. He has developed a long and storied history of being squashed by Leto II by the time this book begins, of course. ( )
  themulhern | Aug 3, 2015 |
Engaging book, with the infamous cliff-hanger ending. I liked the characters and their overall development. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Chapterhouse: Dune is a worthy addition to this durable and deservedly popular series... Against all odds, the universe of Dune keeps getting richer in texture, more challenging in its moral dilemmas. The only way to appreciate Mr. Herbert's achievement is to start with the first book and work your way through, so that when one character says, ''I love you too much, Murbella. That's my Agony,'' you will get the full, shuddery import of that capital A.

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Goodfellow, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Those who would repeat the past must control the teaching of history

------------------Bene Gesserit Coda
When the first ghola baby was delivered from the first Bene Gesserit axlotl tank, Mother Superior Darwi Odrade ordered a quiet celebration in her private dining room atop Central.
AR 5.4, 22 Pts

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441102670, Mass Market Paperback)

The desert planet Arrakis, called Dune, has been destroyed. Now, the Bene Gesserit, heirs to Dune's power, have colonized a green world--and are turning it into a desert, mile by scorched mile.

Here is the last book Frank Herbert wrote before his death. A stunning climax to the epic Dune legend that will live on forever...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:02 -0400)

The desert planet Arrakis, called Dune, has been destroyed. Now the Bene Gesserit, heirs to Dune's powers, have colonized a green world and are turning it into a desert, mile by scorched mile. In this, the final book in the Dune Chronicles, Herbert again creates a world of breathtakingly evolved characters and the contexts in which to appreciate them. The richness of detail and perspective fascinates, while the multi-layered plot evolves as pages turn. Riveting from end to end, the legend lives on in the greatest science fiction epic of all time.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,504,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible