Another Brooklyn: A Novel by Jacqueline…

Another Brooklyn: A Novel (2016)

by Jacqueline Woodson

7076519,160 (4)95

What can I say about this? To say it’s engrossing, riveting,fascinating and amazing just doesn’t seem enough. August returns to Brooklyn for her fathers funeral A chance glimpse at a former friend transports August back to the Brooklyn of her childhood and everything that cam with it: poverty, under, a desire to fit in and young love. So much of this resonated with me and brought me back to the Brooklyn of my childhood. Unde4 200 pages it’s a quick read but oh so good. ( )
1 vote cdyankeefan | Aug 28, 2018 |
This book reads like poetry rather than prose. It is even broken up almost in stanzas like poetry. Set mainly in the 1970s of Brooklyn, New York City this novel tells the story of a woman, August, from our time looking back to those days after the death of her father and to the friendship she had with three girls, Sylvia, Angela, and Gigi.

August, her brother, and her father left her mother's family home in Tennessee after their mother went crazy when her brother died in Vietnam and she refused to believe it and threatened to become violent. August hopes that her mother will join the family soon. She was eight and her brother was four when they moved to Brooklyn.

It would take them a while to fit in, but when they did and she made friends with the three girls, Sylvia the singer whose family has money and disapproves of them, Angela the dancer who is keeping secrets about her home life, and Gigi, the actress. The girls are inseparable and seek to protect each other from the men who lurk in the shadows seeking to harm them.

This is a world of damaged veterans returning from the war and of drug addicts, mainly heroin, seeking to escape the pain of life. Her downstairs neighbor is a prostitute drug addict. But her world is also made up of her father's new religion, The Nation of Islam. While her brother readily embraces it, she does not quite so much. This is a beautifully written book that explores the themes of growing into womanhood and childhood friendships. You really want to know what makes August into the woman she becomes and the people who influence that character along the way. I highly recommend this book.

Quotes

I know now that what is tragic isn’t the moment. It is the memory.

-Jacqueline Woodson (Another Brooklyn p 1)

My mother had not believed in friendship among women. She said women weren’t to be trusted. Keep your arm out, she said, And keep women a whole other hand away from the farthest tips of your fingernails. She told me to keep my nails long.

-Jaqueline Woodson (Another Brooklyn p 19) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Jun 11, 2018 |
This was highly recommended by a friend and it did not disappoint. Beautifully written and heartfelt. I will look for other works by this author ( )
  AstridG | Apr 10, 2018 |
So beautiful. Even her prose reads like poetry. Can't stress enough how much I love this woman's writing. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Lyrical and lovely book. What is it like to mourn loss, to bury, to deny, to be uprooted? Amongst a gritty era in a gritty city - Woodson captures the beauty of it all and in doing so reminded me to find the beauty in the cracks, in the heartache, in grief and in loss - because beauty doesn't solely exist among the pretty and conventional things in life. ( )
  LauraBethR | Mar 28, 2018 |

Woodson, Jacquelineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keep straight down this block, Then turn right where you will find A peach tree blooming. --RICHARD WRIGHT
For Bushwick (1970--1990) In Memory
For a long time, my mother wasn't dead yet.
For God so loved the world, their father would say, he gave his only begotten son. But what about the daughters, I wondered. What did God do with his daughters?

The acclaimed New York Times bestselling and National Book Award–winning author of Brown Girl Dreaming delivers her first adult novel in twenty years.

Running into a long-ago friend sets memory from the 1970s in motion for August, transporting her to a time and a place where friendship was everything—until it wasn’t. For August and her girls, sharing confidences as they ambled through neighborhood streets, Brooklyn was a place where they believed that they were beautiful, talented, brilliant—a part of a future that belonged to them.

But beneath the hopeful veneer, there was another Brooklyn, a dangerous place where grown men reached for innocent girls in dark hallways, where ghosts haunted the night, where mothers disappeared. A world where madness was just a sunset away and fathers found hope in religion.

Like Louise Meriwether’s Daddy Was a Number Runner and Dorothy Allison’s Bastard Out of Carolina, Jacqueline Woodson’s Another Brooklyn heartbreakingly illuminates the formative time when childhood gives way to adulthood—the promise and peril of growing up—and exquisitely renders a powerful, indelible, and fleeting friendship that united four young lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:12:47 -0400)

"Running into a long-ago friend sets memory from the 1970s in motion for August, transporting her to a time and a place where friendship was everything--until it wasn't. For August and her girls, sharing confidences as they ambled through neighborhood streets, Brooklyn was a place where they believed that they were beautiful, talented, brilliant--a part of a future that belonged to them. But beneath the hopeful veneer, there was another Brooklyn, a dangerous place where grown men reached for innocent girls in dark hallways, where ghosts haunted the night, where mothers disappeared"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,005,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible