Eon by Greg Bear

2,826292,058 (3.72)1 / 57
Authors:Greg Bear
Info:Tor (1985), Edition: 1st Editon, Paperback

Eon by Greg Bear

Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (santhony)
    santhony: The original, and still the best, of those science fiction tales centered upon huge, inter-stellar habitats.
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (santhony)
    santhony: If you enjoy the science fiction genre featuring huge, interstellar habitats, this fits the bill.
    The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton (santhony)
    santhony: This behemoth of a trilogy is chock full of original, scientific theory and principles, including huge, sentient, space habitats.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to find an asteroid that had been colonized sometime before we actually found it. It's been hollowed out and lived in by others. Where did it come from? Who colonized it? And what will we do with it? I loved this novel. Greg Bear has imagined a wonderful scenario and I was happy to imagine myself a part of it. ( )
  kp9949 | Jan 17, 2015 |
This one is on my shelf to stay. Excellent, excellent, excellent. ( )
  DLKeur | Jul 9, 2013 |
The first in a trilogy, Eon was a bit hard to get my head around when I first began the book, but my initial confusion merely piqued my curiosity, and I read onward. A bit more theoretical and less gritty than I prefer my sci-fi, which is why it gets three stars, rather than four; nevertheless, Greg Bear is a high-caliber writer, and it shows. ( )
  bryan.miller.3705 | Jun 21, 2013 |
The first half of Eon was an incredibly chilling cold-war sci fi mystery. Its always interesting to read sci fi from this time, because they illustrate so well just how much fear pervaded the cold war era.

But as the sci fi story line took over, I feel like Bear struggled to finish the story. He ambitiously had tried to describe these deep physics-based concepts integral to the plot, but I felt like they ended up being airy buzzwords. I also wish that the newly-introduced characters and worlds had been explored. I feel like Bear brushed right by them.

I just feel like the ending was also random and unsatisfying, but I still think the book is worth it for the first half.
  bianca.sayan | May 10, 2013 |
This is the only SF book I know of where pi-meters are used. I loved that, and have always wanted a pi-meter of my own. ( )
1 vote joeyreads | Apr 2, 2013 |

Greg Bearprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

L'envoi: "Unless you know where you are, you don't know who you are." --Wendell Barry
For Poul and Karen with much appreciation and love.
"It's going into a wide elliptical Earth orbit," Judith Hoffman said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812520475, Mass Market Paperback)

The 21st century was on the brink of nuclear confrontation when the 300 kilometer-long stone flashed out of nothingness and into Earth's orbit. NASA, NATO, and the UN sent explorers to the asteroid's surface...and discovered marvels and mysteries to drive researchers mad.

For the Stone was from space--but perhaps not our space; it came from the future--but perhaps not our future; and within the hollowed asteroid was Thistledown. The remains of a vanished civilization. A human--English, Russian, and Chinese-speaking--civilization. Seven vast chambers containing forests, lakes, rivers, hanging cities...

And museums describing the Death; the catastrophic war that was about to occur; the horror and the long winter that would follow. But while scientists and politicians bickered about how to use the information to stop the Death, the Stone yielded a secret that made even Earth's survival pale into insignificance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A discovery inside a hollow asteroid-spaceship triggers a worldwide war that results in the utter destruction of all human life, except for those inside the spaceship.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,766,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible