Eon by Greg Bear

Authors:Greg Bear
Info:Tor (1985), Edition: 1st Editon, Paperback
Rating:***

Eon by Greg Bear

Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (santhony)
    santhony: The original, and still the best, of those science fiction tales centered upon huge, inter-stellar habitats.
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (santhony)
    santhony: If you enjoy the science fiction genre featuring huge, interstellar habitats, this fits the bill.
    The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton (santhony)
    santhony: This behemoth of a trilogy is chock full of original, scientific theory and principles, including huge, sentient, space habitats.

I started to get bored when I was nearly 1/3 of the way through, so unfortunately it's a DNF.
  isabelx | Mar 6, 2016 |
Next time, please provide a simplified "cheat sheet" for the folks who never took a course in physics. Complicated and confusingly detailed science fiction with a capital "s." It's hard for me to relate to a book with so many characters and three different story lines...I found the book interesting in places, but ultimately flawed. On several occasions I found myself just reading along with almost zero comprehension. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
"Of course, " she said. "It's like touching the square root of space-time. Try to enter the singularity, and you translate yourself through a distance along some spatial coordinate." "You slide along," Farley said. "Right." I never tried touching the square root of space-time before so I cannot attest to whether it is in any way similar to trying to enter the singularity (which I have also never attempted for some reason). Still, as an avid sci-fi reader I like reading the odd bits of technobabble as long as they do not overwhelm the book to the point of rendering it unreadable. I like how Greg Bear makes that bit of dialog sound as if it makes sense. It’s just cool (fits my conception of cool any way).

Eon is a classic sci-fi book featuring one of the most beloved tropes of the genre, the Big Dumb Object. A gigantic alien construct that shows up in the vicinity of our Earth, the origin or purpose of which is unknown. It is interesting to compare Eon to Arthur C. Clarke’s Rendezvous with Rama. Clarke’s book is all about the B.D.O. and the group of characters’ exploration and adventures inside of it. Explorations and adventures inside “The Stone” (the name humans give to the gigantic asteroid shaped B.D.O.) are also featured in Eon but they constitute less than half of what this book is about. The fate of Earth and humanity also become involved as the USA claim prior right to manage the exploration and studies of The Stone on account of being the first nation to discover its appearance. This at a time when East-West relations are already precarious, and the Russians fear that the Americans would discover some kind of alien super-weapon to gain global dominance.

Without wishing to go into details of the thrilling sci-fi wonders on offer I will just vaguely mention that nuclear holocaust, time travelling, parallel universes, posthumans and aliens all come into play. Eon is quite well written and the characters are developed to some extent but they never really come alive for me, perhaps there is too much plot and world building to cover to allow room to flesh out the characters. The pacing is a little slow to begin with but gathers momentum to become quite the pager turner by the second half of the book.

Over all Eon is really an ideal book for fans of hard science fiction and those of us looking to escape from our daily drudgery for a while. There are two sequels and a short story which form The Way series. I have not read those yet but Eon stands very well on its own as there is no cliff hanger to speak of. Definitely worth the time. ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
Still is a good read, though a bit dated now that the Cold War is over and Countries/Enemies have changed radically than what are portrayed in the book. ( )
  Mindslayer | Nov 18, 2015 |
Wouldn't it be wonderful to find an asteroid that had been colonized sometime before we actually found it. It's been hollowed out and lived in by others. Where did it come from? Who colonized it? And what will we do with it? I loved this novel. Greg Bear has imagined a wonderful scenario and I was happy to imagine myself a part of it. ( )
  kp9949 | Jan 17, 2015 |

Greg Bearprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miller, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

L'envoi: "Unless you know where you are, you don't know who you are." --Wendell Barry
For Poul and Karen with much appreciation and love.
"It's going into a wide elliptical Earth orbit," Judith Hoffman said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812520475, Mass Market Paperback)

The 21st century was on the brink of nuclear confrontation when the 300 kilometer-long stone flashed out of nothingness and into Earth's orbit. NASA, NATO, and the UN sent explorers to the asteroid's surface...and discovered marvels and mysteries to drive researchers mad.

For the Stone was from space--but perhaps not our space; it came from the future--but perhaps not our future; and within the hollowed asteroid was Thistledown. The remains of a vanished civilization. A human--English, Russian, and Chinese-speaking--civilization. Seven vast chambers containing forests, lakes, rivers, hanging cities...

And museums describing the Death; the catastrophic war that was about to occur; the horror and the long winter that would follow. But while scientists and politicians bickered about how to use the information to stop the Death, the Stone yielded a secret that made even Earth's survival pale into insignificance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A discovery inside a hollow asteroid-spaceship triggers a worldwide war that results in the utter destruction of all human life, except for those inside the spaceship.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible