Eon by Greg Bear

Authors:Greg Bear
Info:Tor (1985), Edition: 1st Editon, Paperback
Rating:***

Eon by Greg Bear

Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (santhony)
    santhony: The original, and still the best, of those science fiction tales centered upon huge, inter-stellar habitats.
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (santhony)
    santhony: If you enjoy the science fiction genre featuring huge, interstellar habitats, this fits the bill.
    The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton (santhony)
    santhony: This behemoth of a trilogy is chock full of original, scientific theory and principles, including huge, sentient, space habitats.

A mysterious asteroid starts circling the Earth and Moon. A team of scientists and engineers is sent to investigate. They discover that the asteroid has been hollowed out and contains seven chambers, two of which contain large cities - one more advanced than the other. Then they discover that the seventh chamber seems to be longer than the asteroid itself, and the mystery deepens. What unfolds is a story with four parts:

a. the American/NATO team who are exploring the asteroid, which they call The Stone;

b. the Russian military team sent to invade and take over the asteroid, which they call The Potato;

c. the story of the main protagonist, Patricia Luisa Vasquez, a brilliant mathematician who has been hand-picked to help solve the mysteries of the asteroid; and

d. the humans, and their alien allies, from a future over a thousand years in the Earth’s future, who inhabit the mysterious Way that connects with the asteroid, which they call Thistledown.

It is the interplay of all these stories that makes this book so intriguing. The sense of wonder and loss from the present-day Earthlings is counterpointed by the reverence for their ancestors and the intrigue among the factions of the advanced beings.

The concept of the Way is intriguing - a universe in itself that is long and narrow, and which can be connected to other universes. It is like a wormhole that can be inhabited, as long as you bring the basics of earth, air and plant life to fill areas of this corridor like universe.

The book is in two parts. Firstly, a build-up to an event called The Death, a nuclear holocaust that envelops the Earth resulting in billions of deaths and severing of communications. This ends with the inhabitants of the asteroid isolated from the Earth and colonies on the Moon. The second part deals with the events that follow, including attempts by one faction to return to the Earth, by another faction to change the Way, and thirdly by Patricia to return to an Earth where her parents and partner are alive.

"It's longer on the inside than the outside." When I first read this, I thought he's borrowed from Doctor Who and the TARDIS.

One annoying aspect of the (Legend/Arrow 1987) publication I have is that some scenes flow directly into another unrelated scene without a physical separator.

This is my second reading of this book. I read it originally back in the late 1980s when I bought it. I think I enjoyed it more this time.

I enjoyed this book and give it 4 stars out of 5. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | May 4, 2017 |
humanity discovers an alien" artifact in orbit around our world. Turns out to be from an alternate future in which the world almost destroyed itself. It appearing heightens tension between the Russians and the Americans and sets off what is called "The Death", the world almost destroying itself. Lots of humanity going digital. Assumes that that is possible. A pretty cool read. Lots of action with the Russians trying to take over the artifact. Bear wrote well, unlike his starwars stuff. He should stick to straight scifi." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This was an interesting exercise as I had not read this novel since it first came out so it is very much a question of whether you can go home again; there was a time when what I generally most wanted was a new novel from Bear, Greg Benford or David Brin. So, how has this book withstood the test of time? On the whole, not too badly. The continuation of the Soviet-American rivalry is handled fairly well, Bear having bet on the political demise of Gorbachev, and things still blow up well in the end. What works less well for me is that the political conflicts of the post-apocalyptic human societies didn't feel particularly convincing and I'm pretty sure that I didn't find them that convincing back in the day, but I was more willing to give Bear the benefit of the doubt at that point. The main problem, of course, is that the standards for this kind of SF have gone up so I'm going to knock down my rating from 2006 just a notch. ( )
  Shrike58 | Sep 6, 2016 |
I started to get bored when I was nearly 1/3 of the way through, so unfortunately it's a DNF.
  isabelx | Mar 6, 2016 |
Next time, please provide a simplified "cheat sheet" for the folks who never took a course in physics. Complicated and confusingly detailed science fiction with a capital "s." It's hard for me to relate to a book with so many characters and three different story lines...I found the book interesting in places, but ultimately flawed. On several occasions I found myself just reading along with almost zero comprehension. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Greg Bearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miller, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

L'envoi: "Unless you know where you are, you don't know who you are." --Wendell Barry
For Poul and Karen with much appreciation and love.
"It's going into a wide elliptical Earth orbit," Judith Hoffman said.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812520475, Mass Market Paperback)

The 21st century was on the brink of nuclear confrontation when the 300 kilometer-long stone flashed out of nothingness and into Earth's orbit. NASA, NATO, and the UN sent explorers to the asteroid's surface...and discovered marvels and mysteries to drive researchers mad.

For the Stone was from space--but perhaps not our space; it came from the future--but perhaps not our future; and within the hollowed asteroid was Thistledown. The remains of a vanished civilization. A human--English, Russian, and Chinese-speaking--civilization. Seven vast chambers containing forests, lakes, rivers, hanging cities...

And museums describing the Death; the catastrophic war that was about to occur; the horror and the long winter that would follow. But while scientists and politicians bickered about how to use the information to stop the Death, the Stone yielded a secret that made even Earth's survival pale into insignificance.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

A discovery inside a hollow asteroid-spaceship triggers a worldwide war that results in the utter destruction of all human life, except for those inside the spaceship.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible