Foundation and Earth by Isaac Asimov

Foundation and Earth (original 1986; edition 1994)

by Isaac Asimov (Author)

6,686621,012 (3.78)1 / 45
The fifth novel in Asimov''s popular Foundation series opens with second thoughts. Councilman Golan Trevize is wondering if he was right to choose a collective mind as the best possible future for humanity over the anarchy of contentious individuals, nations and planets. To test his conclusion, he decides he must know the past and goes in search of legendary Earth, all references to which have been erased from galactic libraries. The societies encountered along the way become arguing points in a book-long colloquy about man''s fate, conducted by Trevize and traveling companion Bliss, who is part of the first world/mind, Gaia.… (more)
Member:PDCW
Title:Foundation and Earth
Authors:Isaac Asimov (Author)
Info:Harpercollins Pub Ltd (1994), Edition: New Ed, 512 pages
Tags:Fiction

Foundation and Earth by Isaac Asimov (Author) (1986)

English (51)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (61)
This is the second sequel to the original Foundation trilogy:

1988 Prelude to Foundation
1993 Forward the Foundation
1951 Foundation
1952 Foundation and Empire
1953 Second Foundation
1981 Foundation's Edge
1986 Foundation and Earth ( )
  RFBrost | Jul 8, 2020 |
More of the sexism that I saw in Foundation's Edge but a better overall read even though the conclusion came about rather abruptly and wrapped things up very neatly. Having said that, I did feel compelled to finish this story and felt a resurgence of the love I had for science fiction novels when I was younger. I still like the original trilogy the best but now I will turn my attention to the two prequels. Fingers crossed for two good reads! ( )
  drew_asson | Mar 22, 2020 |
The hunt is on for planet Earth. Former Councilman of the First Foundation Golan Revize sets out with historian Janov Pelorate and a woman named Bliss. It is centuries after the fall of the First Galactic Empire and the future of humankind lies in the ability to form a new empire. But where? Golan is convinced neither the First Foundation nor the Second are stable enough for success. Instead, he hangs his hope on using Gaia. Before that can happen he must find Earth, the planet that has been lost for thousands of years. It is not going to be easy. In some cultures of the galaxy, it is a superstition to utter the word, 'Earth." One must say 'the Oldest' instead.
Interestingly enough, even though Bliss is a friend and a helper, she is without paperwork, and she is not part of the travel log. As a result, problems regarding immigration arise. She is seen as "entertainment" for the two men who are the only ones accounted for on the spaceship.
Foundation and Earth is heavy with philosophical questions like, is a toe tapping in time to music part of the action, acting as an in-time accompanying drum beat or a response to the action of music being played? ( )
  SeriousGrace | Sep 30, 2019 |
I'm so thrilled that I started reading the Foundation series last year. Nearly to the day, 1 year ago, I started I, Robot and now have finished the chronological conclusion of Foundation and Earth.

Structurally, it's a bit slow compared to Foundation's Edge (a much better book). However, Trevize, Pelorat and Bliss are a wonderful trio. The story of them journeying the galaxy together with an important purpose, discovery and wonder had me captivated on every page.

It's difficult to put into words the power of drawing upon a connection last mentioned 8 books ago, and nearly 2300 pages but I nearly dropped the book. I was so excited - for myself, for being rewarded for sticking with a series that extended to 14 books now (Prelude and Forward still to go), for the characters involved, for the story, for everything. It's so rare that I get that kind of emotional pop in anything from books, movies, games and television and it's the reason I read books in the first place.

Even if this book isn't a 5/5 for me, the entire series is easily one of the best I've had the pleasure of reading and would highly recommend anybody who is interested to check out this hybrid reading order - https://www.reddit.com/r/Asimov/wiki/seriesguide#wiki_algernon_asimov.27s_person...

I cannot recommend enough sticking to the hybrid order - reading it chronologically or in the publication order would diminish a wonderful, wonderful experience. ( )
  hskey | Nov 13, 2018 |
This is my least favorite Foundation book despite focusing on one of my favorite Foundation themes (Earth as myth and the quest to find its reality). Bliss and Trevize, however, work my last ever-loving nerve. I find both of them equally obnoxious, and the constant bickering between them annoys me into eye-rolling. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Jul 22, 2018 |
Mr. Asimov has failed to integrate the necessary background into the current action in a way that can make sense to a new reader (as he did so deftly in ''Foundation's Edge'' and ''Robots and Empire''). Worse, he is too busy referring the reader to positions staked out in the earlier books to create fresh sources of dramatic tension. In his younger days, when he chronicled the decline and fall of the Galactic Empire through plots borrowed from Roman history, he tagged his narratives with playful quotations from the ''Encyclopedia Galactica.'' Now he seems to be treating his own corpus of work as the stuff of history. His characters are so conscious of their awesome responsibilities that they lack spontaneity. As eager as I am to know what Mr. Asimov has in store for the galaxy, I hope that he continues this project out of real conviction and not merely from habit or a sense of obligation. I would prefer a few loose ends to a series of backward-looking sequels.

Does the Foundation series really end here? Near the end of the novel, we are given a clue to what may be yet to come. An idiosyncrasy of Asimov's Foundation/Robot universe has always been that mankind has expanded into an empty and almost lifeless galaxy with no intelligent aliens, a galaxy where men and the robots are the only intelligent life forms. Now we receive a hint that there may be intelligent alien life in other galaxies and that mankind and these aliens may be destined to meet. Isaac Asimov is an amazingly prolific writer, and he has been well rewarded for his recent efforts. I would not want to bet that "Foundation and Earth" is really the conclusion of the Foundation series.

Asimov, IsaacAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wallerstein, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Judy-Lynn Del Rey
(1943-1986), a giant in mind and spirit.
'Why did I do it?' asked Golan Trevize.

Hardcover 9 1/2x6 1/2x1 1/4 356 pp. Copyright 1986 Doubleday, Nightfall Inc.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,632,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible