Foundation's Edge (Foundation Novels) by…

Foundation's Edge (Foundation Novels) (original 1982; edition 1991)

by Isaac Asimov

7,54059710 (3.78)1 / 88
Member:Skaidon
Title:Foundation's Edge (Foundation Novels)
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Spectra (1991), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov (1982)

English (49)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  All languages (58)
I really had no idea how much Asimov's Robots/Empire/Foundation series would appeal to me. I'd heard of I,Robot and seen the movie, but beyond that I was completely clueless.

The Robots novels quickly ushered in a new love for reading I'd long since missed; a sense of adventure and wonder. Trying to schedule each day of the week to get at least a few chapters in. Seeing these scenes in my head as clear as day. Gladly being manipulated with great characters, twists and turns, and big questions.

I've never read a novelist who could make the events and story FEEL so big with such a small cast. Most epics require a massive cast and thousands of pages. Not so with Asimov. The themes present in the Robots books are so fundamental to the human spirit that it's impossible not be captivated; exploring ourselves, exploring the unknown. Emergence, fear and reliance on new technology. Philosophy. Religion. Psychology. History.

It's all so MASSIVE and Asimov makes it easy to follow every step of the way.

The Empire novels were fluff, but a nice palette cleanser before the Foundation novels.

I enjoyed the first three Foundation books, but this was on another level. You could tell he'd refined his writing over the 30 years inbetween Second Foundation and Foundation's Edge. This is a tremendous journey, with no real traditional antagonists, certainly not on the level of the mule.

Finally bringing back Robots into the story, the Three Laws of Robotics and Earth brought me even closer to the characters and I felt like I was an observer through humanity's most critical moments, throughout the cosmos and time itself.

Brilliant. Trevize, Gendibal, Sura Novi, Pelorat were fantastic characters, all with believable motivations. I read this in about 5 sittings and cannot wait to start Foundation and Earth. The Foundation series has already cemented itself as one of my all time favorites. ( )
  hskey | Oct 25, 2018 |
Good continuation of a classic storyline. Especially considering it was written years after the originals! ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
Batter than his last two fillers. Much seemed familiar until the cheesy ending which was very familiar, so I apparently did read it when it came out 30 years ago.

Only one more in his Foundation universe...marching on.... ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Truth be told, the first 20 pages of Foundation's Edge was duller than a bread knife.  Asimov's intention to capture the Roman Empire's fall via the medium of science fiction can be brilliantly boring. Reading intellectuals pontificate even while acknowledging that the boredom is intended by the author is Foundation's Edge's achilles heel. Without the fortitude of a steam roller I would have tossed this copy to the return pile before ever discovering it's hidden diamond plot-line. A quest always brings the happy to town and no greater search in the canon of SF is there, than the quest for Earth. Earth, a myth so deeply folded into it's past that it has disappeared, has become the twist to reanimate the series. As I continue to read, discovering the true importance of Earth, and whether Seldon's plan has been compromised, preoccupation that only a good space book can do, drapes over me.  For complete review: http://goo.gl/JHyZ0j ( )
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
The Foundation series (there are seven books in all though the three originals - _Foundation_, _Foundation and Empire_, and _Second Foundation_ - are the best of the series) is classic sci-fi and some of Asimov’s best. His characters are rather flat, his plots bog down in ideas and are rather short on action. That being said, these books can still thrill you if you’ve never read them and if you’re a sci-fi fan, you will probably love them. Asimov reminds us that history repeats itself and this a _Decline and Fall_ set in the future. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
Now, 33 years later, Mr. Asimov has written a new Foundation book. And I am relieved to report that it is a worthy sequel in every way. As before, the First Foundation wields the power of the physical sciences and technology, and the Second Foundation has the power to cloud men's minds and predict mass behavior through the statistical insights of psychohistory. Also as before, the fate of all humanity is at stake as these mighty adversaries clash - and the focus is on the actions of a handful of people who are earnest and articulate and likable even when they do bad things (for what seem to them good reasons). Mr. Asimov gives us adversaries but no villains; this is future history portrayed as a great game. The danger of such a concept is that the reader will cease to care who wins or loses. Mr. Asimov sustains interest by keeping us guessing just which side each player represents. He writes much better than he did 33 years ago - yet he has lost none of the verve that he brought to this series when he and the galaxy were much younger. What more could one ask?

Rare is the author who can resume a story after a pause of three decades, but Asimov has never been predictable in anything but fecundity. This is his 260th book and one of his best. Given the master's past history, it may be a prelude to a pentalogy.
added by Shortride | editTime, Peter Stoler (Nov 15, 1982)

After a slowish start, then, the rather talky narrative here develops into grippingly effective drama - with oodles of twisty-turny plot, an engaging cast, and some enjoyably mellow humor (Asimov whimsically manages to work in references to all his previous novels). A grandmasterly performance.
added by jimcripps | editKirkus Reviews

Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Betty Prashker, who insisted,
and to Lester del Rey, who nagged.
The First Galactic Empire was falling. (Prologue)
"I don't believe it, of course," said Golan Trevize, standing on the wide steps of Seldon Hall and looking out over the city as it sparkled in the sunlight.
This Book, while self-contained, is a continuation of The Foundation Trilogy which is made up of three books: Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation. (Afterword by the Author)

It is 498 years since the establishment of the First Foundation. the threat of the Mule has been rebuffed: on Trantor it is a period of calm and prosperity. But an unexpected appearance by psycho-historian Hari Seldon raises some interesting questions and the young Councilman who asks them finds himself exiled into space in search of answers; Does the Second Foundation still exist? And does it continue to control human history from a secret Galactic refuge? At issue - the destiny of humankind.

This sequel to the Foundation Trilogy has all the wisdom, humor, and intrigue that have made its predecessors he most widely read science fiction series of all time. Asimov has done his classic threesome one better.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553293389, Mass Market Paperback)

At last, the costly and bitter war between the two Foundations had come to an end. The scientists of the First Foundation had proved victorious; and now they retum to Hari Seldon's long-established plan to build a new Empire that the Second Foundation is not destroyed after all-and that its still-defiant survivors are preparing their revenge. Now the two exiled citizens of the Foundation-a renegade Councilman and the doddering historian-set out in search of the mythical planet Earth. . .and proof that the Second Foundation still exists. Meanwhile someone-or something-outside of both Foundations sees to be orchestrating events to suit its own ominous purpose. Soon representatives of both the First and Second Foundations will find themselves racing toward a mysterious world called Gaia and a final shocking destiny at the very end of the universe!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:10 -0400)

At last, the costly and bitter war between the two Foundations had come to an end. The scientists of the First Foundation had proved victorious; and now they retum to Hari Seldon''s long-established plan to build a new Empire that the Second Foundation is not destroyed after all-and that its still-defiant survivors are preparing their revenge. Now the two exiled citizens of the Foundation-a renegade Councilman and the doddering historian-set out in search of the mythical planet Earth. . .and proof that the Second Foundation still exists. Meanwhile someone-or something-outside of both Foundations sees to be orchestrating events to suit its own ominous purpose. Soon representatives of both the First and Second Foundations will find themselves racing toward a mysterious world called Gaia and a final shocking destiny at the very end of the universe!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,655,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible