Snow White: Silver Anniversary Edition by…

Snow White: Silver Anniversary Edition

by Paul Heins, Jacob Grimm (Author), Wilhelm Grimm (Author), Trina Schart Hyman (Illustrator)

This is the classic Brother Grimm story of a princess born with skin white as snow, lips red as blood, and black ebony hair. Snow white's mother died in childbirth, and her father remarried a vain women. The new Queen owned a magic mirror and would ask who the most beautiful women in the land was. The mirror would reply "Lady Queen, you are the most beautiful lady In this land." As Snow grew so did her beauty and by the time she was seven she had grown more beautiful then the Queen. The Queen grew jealous and told the hunter to take Snow in the woods and kill her. The hunter spared her life and told her to run far away. Snow ran deep into the woods and came to a small cottage. The cottage was the home to seven dwarfs. The seven dwarfs let Snow live there but, tell her to stay inside so her stepmother doesn't find her. The Queen soon figures out that Snow is in fact alive and starts plotting her murder. First, the Queen goes to Snow and tries to kill her by straggling her with a corset ribbon, then she tries to poison her with a comb. Finally the queen kills snow by a poison apple. This story is a bit redundant, and makes you question the intelligence of Snow. I did love the beautiful artwork in the book, but other then that I feel like it is an outdated representation of women, ( )
  SarahTrenticosta | Mar 8, 2018 |
This is the version of Snow White as told by the Grimms brothers. It was translated from German by the author. This version of Snow White has more substance that the Disney version that everyone is used to. The queen is more wicked, snow white is even more kind, and the story is slightly more gruesome. What I really liked about this was that while it did have some details that were kind of brutal, they weren't so bad that you couldn't read it to children. I would love to use this in a lesson where I read this book, and then one or two other versions of the same folk/fairy tale and have students compare and contrast. I also loved the illustrations, they were beautiful.
  siobhan.mcsweeney | Jan 31, 2017 |
Snow white is an all-time favorite for many generations. Everyone seems to love fairytales and the happily ever after endings so this would be a great story to read to a second or third grade class. This book is a way to show that greed and jealousy will not get you very far in life. Snow Whites love and kindness for all people and creatures gave her the upper hand against the jealous queen. I think that this would be a great book to read and give children the insight on how to be a kind generous person. This is also a good book to have children map out the character, plot, setting and even moral to the story. ( )
  clp055 | Oct 4, 2016 |
The new Queen was so full of envy for her stepdaughter snow white. She envied her so much that she summoned a hunter to kill snow white. But because she was beautiful and scared he didn't kill her. She then wandered into a village where there were seven of everything and she meet the seven dwarfs. Well she is discovered to be alive by the stepmother and she plots on Snow White. In the end, Snow White seems to be dead but her true love brings her back to life with a kiss. I think fairy tales for kids are great. It gives them wishful thinking that they would find their prince charming and their happily ever after when they are older. When I was a little girl I loved fairy tales and Snow White being one of them. I always wanted a Prince Charming and I think I've found him. ( )
  lasmith7 | Sep 22, 2016 |
According to Betsy Bird's Wild Things Hyman drew herself as one of the dwarves....

Read. ?Yes, and we can easily guess which one. ?áAnd yes, the other characters are clearly based on real ppl, neighbors and other ppl in Hyman's life, as opposed to characters for the imagination. ?áThis is a translation by Heins, not an adaptation, so the text is longish, not shy of details that might disturb the squeamish, and thoroughly authentic. ?áBut gosh, the tale itself is not one of my favorites. ?áSnow White is beautiful, kind, and stupid, and her beau is naive and a king's son... hoo boy. ?áWho says he's not going to fall for the next pretty face the moment SW's pregnancy gives her shadows under eyes, and who says she's going to be able to see through his secrets any better than she saw through the witch's peddler disguise?

It pains me to rate this as less than four stars because it's not the fault of either Heins or Hyman that I don't care for the book. ?áBut I must be honest; I don't recommend it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Paul Heinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grimm, JacobAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grimm, WilhelmAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hyman, Trina SchartIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Picture book translated and adapted by Paul Heins and illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman. I believe it's unique enough to not combine it with other versions of Snow White. Agree?

Spared by her would-be executioner, Snow White finds a home with seven kindly dwarfs, but the hateful queen who wants her dead will stop at nothing to be the most beautiful woman in the land. A poisoned apple seems to send Snow White to her death, but true love brings her back, and good once again prevails.

Paul Heins's graceful words and Trina Schart Hyman's expressive artwork create a dramatic retelling of this classic tale, filled with movement and passion that will enchant readers of all ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 20 Apr 2016 11:37:28 -0400)

Retells the tale of the beautiful princess whose lips were red as blood, skin was white as snow, and hair was black as ebony.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,605,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible