Bryson's Dictionary for Writers and Editors…

Bryson's Dictionary for Writers and Editors

by Bill Bryson

This book was so excellent. Bryson includes all variety of useful things, from definitions to the correct spelling of confusing words, to cross-references and connotations that may get a "serious" writer into trouble. Bryson bases some of his entries on opinion, but in most cases, his opinion is itself based on a long and illustrious writing career as well as multiple referenced sources. In only a few cases did I disagree with his logic, and only once did I find an actual mistake Ulysses was not the leader of the Greek army). ( )
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |
Dictionaries in general are wonderful thieves of time. How often one gets distracted, meandering from word to word, even forgetting the reason for opening the book in the first place. Well, Bryson's Dictionary is different. Yes, it is good for reference, giving the trickier spellings, words which are often confused, British and American uses and so on, but for a writer it can also be read from cover to cover for the sheer enjoyment of discovery. And it has the advantage that it can be put down at any point without losing the plot! ( )
1 vote MichaelMac | May 31, 2010 |
Here it is: Bill Bryson's Dictionary for Writers and Editors. A reference work by an entertaining writer. And yes, I read the whole thing. Words fascinate me, and when people misuse or misspell them it annoys me. I do not want to be one of those people. So call me a nerd if you like, but the next time you let fall a phrase like "exact replica" or "at this point in time," I will be laughing on the inside.
2 vote subbobmail | Aug 7, 2008 |

From one of America's most beloved and bestselling authors, a wonderfully useful and readable guide to the problems of the English language most commonly encountered by editors and writers.

What is the difference between “immanent” and “imminent”? What is the singular form of graffiti? What is the difference between “acute” and “chronic”? What is the former name of “Moldova”? What is the difference between a cardinal number and an ordinal number? One of the English language's most skilled writers answers these and many other questions and guides us all toward precise, mistake-free usage. Covering spelling, capitalization, plurals, hyphens, abbreviations, and foreign names and phrases, Bryson's Dictionary for Writers and Editors will be an indispensable companion for all who care enough about our language not to maul, misuse, or contort it.

This dictionary is an essential guide to the wonderfully disordered thing that is the English language. As Bill Bryson notes, it will provide you with “the answers to all those points of written usage that you kind of know or ought to know but can’t quite remember.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:35 -0400)

"...A personal collection, built up over thirty years as a writer and editor in two countries" and "intended as a quick, concise guide to the problems of English spelling and usage." First published in the 1980s, Bryson's compilation has been updated and re-released, and includes definitions, guides to punctuation and grammar, and helpful conversion tables (Celsius to Fahrenheit; kilometers to miles). In short, it's equal parts The Elements of Style, Associated Press Stylebook, Webster's New World Dictionary, and general desktop encyclopedia.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,489,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible