God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert

God Emperor of Dune (original 1981; edition 1982)

by Frank Herbert

Member:gcoupe
Title:God Emperor of Dune
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (1982), Paperback
Tags:science fiction

God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert (1981)

Recently added byMeijiJidai, drcmg, brbadore, private library, macdherbe, jG-2323, SalarShushan, ennaejrefinnej

English (35)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (38)
Better than I expected, almost lived up to the potential Dune set. Too bad it won't stand alone without the backstories of both Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Looking forward to reading what happens next. ( )
  AuntieClio | Apr 6, 2014 |
By far my favourite Dune novel this is where the series truly becomes epic. Set some three thousand years after Leto II replaces his father as the controller of the universe's destiny this book takes us through Leto II's last days. Leto has had the courage to do what his father could not and become the God emperor of Dune and now his final sacrifice will reshape the universe. I could have happily seen the Dune series end after this book. ( )
  ecumenicalcouncil | Jan 2, 2014 |
Action, plot twists and drama - all you expect from a Dune book. This time much of the plot is made up of two or three people in arguing in a room and the action is pushed to the sides. ( )
  MickeNimell | Aug 24, 2013 |
Well.

Now I know where some of the stupider ideas in "evolutionary psychology" came from.

The idea of creating a suburban empire for the purpose of collapsing it and forcing the people to compete for survival so that the most creative come out on top: ridiculous and terrible. Competition does not necessarily favor the best, especially if the best don't have a damn clue how to exercise creativity because a big symbiotic man-worm with legions of badass-gun-toting "willing" rape victims "bred" them for three thousand years during which he eliminated all but his own history of the universe, which was not, in any of the excerpts presented therefrom, even slightly concerned with stuff like how to run a business, how to break up a monopoly, what forms of government work on what scales with what types of populations in what sort of geographies, how to meet as diplomats or ecumenical councillors, etc. In fact, competition favors the lucky first, the bully second, and the sycophant third.

The representation of women, especially Yoko Ono, I mean Hwi Noree: appalling. Not even the fact that the eponymous God Emperor was supposed to be foibly excuses the garbage he spouted about "sex differences," let alone were any of the female characters anything other than caricatures.

What happened? Seven Pillars of Wisdom With Spaceships, a/k/a Dune, was so brilliant. How did it devolve into Dr. Jekyll's Lonely Hyde Club Band? ( )
  Nialle | Jun 18, 2013 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DiFate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holland, BradCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This morning I was born in a yurt at the edge of a horse-plain in a land of a planet which no longer exists.

Tomorrow I will be born someone else in another place. I have not yet chosen. This morning, though - ahhh. this life!

When my eyes had learned to focus, I looked out at sunshine on trampled grass and I saw vigorous people going about the sweet activities of their lives.

Where ... oh where has all of that vigor gone?

~ The Stolen Journals
To
Peggy Rowntree
with love and admiration and deep appreciation
Prologue -

Excerpt from the speech by Hadi Benotto announcing the discoveries at Dar-es-Balat on the planet of Rakis:

It not only is my pleasure to announce to you this morning our discovery of this marvelous storehouse containing, among other things, a monumental collection of manuscripts inscribed on ridulian crystal paper, but I also take pride in giving you our arguments for the authenticity of our discoveries, to tell you why we believe we have uncovered the original journals of Leto II, the God Emperor.
The three people running northward through moon shadows in the Forbidden Forest were strung out along almost half a kilometer.
AR 5.8, 22 Pts
------------------

Centuries have passed on Dune itself, and the planet is green with life. Leto, the son of Dune's savior, is still alive but far from human, and hte fate of all humanity hangs on his awesome sacrifice ....
-----------------------------

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441294677, Mass Market Paperback)

Centuries have passed on Dune, and the planet is green with life. Leto, the son of Dune's savior, is still alive but far from human, and the fate of all humanity hangs on his awesome sacrifice...

"Rich fare...heady stuff." --Los Angeles Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:42 -0400)

Leto II, God Emperor of Dune, trades his humanity for immortality and, as the magnificent sandworm of Dune, desperately attempts to save mankind.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,694,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible