God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book…

God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 4) (original 1981; edition 1984)

by Frank Herbert

6,651None563 (3.67)62
Member:screendoor
Title:God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 4)
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Berkley (1984), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Dune, Arrakis, religion, heroes, gods, rebels, sand, sandworms, Shai Hulud, love, Duncans, Royal Carts, wolves, journals, Golden Path, Fish Speakers, reproduction, breeding, Atreides, Leto II, assassinations, intrigue, knowledge, surprises, worm-man, Messianic, survival, evolution, prescience, prophecy, humanity, integrity, immortality, martyrdom, tyranny, seeing the unseen, American

God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert (1981)

20th century (20) American (27) classic (22) desert (15) Dune (555) ebook (25) ecology (24) epic (26) fantasy (103) fiction (514) Frank Herbert (53) hardcover (21) Herbert (40) literature (17) novel (81) own (30) owned (21) paperback (43) philosophy (14) politics (34) read (114) religion (51) science fiction (1,551) series (94) sf (189) sff (62) space opera (55) speculative fiction (17) to-read (34) unread (43)

English (37)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (39)
Better than I expected, almost lived up to the potential Dune set. Too bad it won't stand alone without the backstories of both Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Looking forward to reading what happens next. ( )
  AuntieClio | Apr 6, 2014 |
By far my favourite Dune novel this is where the series truly becomes epic. Set some three thousand years after Leto II replaces his father as the controller of the universe's destiny this book takes us through Leto II's last days. Leto has had the courage to do what his father could not and become the God emperor of Dune and now his final sacrifice will reshape the universe. I could have happily seen the Dune series end after this book. ( )
  ecumenicalcouncil | Jan 2, 2014 |
Good stuff.
After having read Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson's prequels and sequels, the little throw away references took on a much larger import.

The Golden Path is still not spelled out for the reader. We simply have to figure out stuff while the main story unrolls. That is one thing I really enjoy about the Dune Chronicles, they are not the "Transformers" of books, but a very thoughtful and insightful look at what it means to be human.

Herbert deftly weaves words and thoughts to reveal his idea of what humanity is and where he thinks it could go. In many ways, a psychological version of what [a:Neal Asher|56353|Neal Asher|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1207862001p2/56353.jpg] graphically shows with his souped up science in his Polity universe.

Poor Leto. To see, to know, to sacrifice, all for a species that turns on him, reviles him, fears him, worships him and ultimately, just wishes he didn't exist.

Herbert also tries to posit the non-existance of any sort of God because he claims it is incompatible with free will; free will being the ability to DO anything one wants. which is why the argument fails, because free will is about the ability to make the CHOICE about doing something, even if it is between 2 horrible choices.

So anyway, lots to love about this book :) ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Action, plot twists and drama - all you expect from a Dune book. This time much of the plot is made up of two or three people in arguing in a room and the action is pushed to the sides. ( )
  MickeNimell | Aug 24, 2013 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DiFate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holland, BradCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This morning I was born in a yurt at the edge of a horse-plain in a land of a planet which no longer exists.

Tomorrow I will be born someone else in another place. I have not yet chosen. This morning, though - ahhh. this life!

When my eyes had learned to focus, I looked out at sunshine on trampled grass and I saw vigorous people going about the sweet activities of their lives.

Where ... oh where has all of that vigor gone?

~ The Stolen Journals
To
Peggy Rowntree
with love and admiration and deep appreciation
Prologue -

Excerpt from the speech by Hadi Benotto announcing the discoveries at Dar-es-Balat on the planet of Rakis:

It not only is my pleasure to announce to you this morning our discovery of this marvelous storehouse containing, among other things, a monumental collection of manuscripts inscribed on ridulian crystal paper, but I also take pride in giving you our arguments for the authenticity of our discoveries, to tell you why we believe we have uncovered the original journals of Leto II, the God Emperor.
The three people running northward through moon shadows in the Forbidden Forest were strung out along almost half a kilometer.
AR 5.8, 22 Pts
------------------

Centuries have passed on Dune itself, and the planet is green with life. Leto, the son of Dune's savior, is still alive but far from human, and hte fate of all humanity hangs on his awesome sacrifice ....
-----------------------------

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441294677, Mass Market Paperback)

Centuries have passed on Dune, and the planet is green with life. Leto, the son of Dune's savior, is still alive but far from human, and the fate of all humanity hangs on his awesome sacrifice...

"Rich fare...heady stuff." --Los Angeles Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:42 -0400)

Leto II, God Emperor of Dune, trades his humanity for immortality and, as the magnificent sandworm of Dune, desperately attempts to save mankind.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible