God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book…

God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 4) (original 1981; edition 1984)

by Frank Herbert

Member:screendoor
Title:God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 4)
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Berkley (1984), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Dune, Arrakis, religion, heroes, gods, rebels, sand, sandworms, Shai Hulud, love, Duncans, Royal Carts, wolves, journals, Golden Path, Fish Speakers, reproduction, breeding, Atreides, Leto II, assassinations, intrigue, knowledge, surprises, worm-man, Messianic, survival, evolution, prescience, prophecy, humanity, integrity, immortality, martyrdom, tyranny, seeing the unseen, American

God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert (1981)

English (36)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (39)
Full of interesting meditations on the nature of war, the military, history, men and women. I am very interested in seeing where the series goes from here, to finally get a glimpse at what the very expensive Golden Path bought in terms of humanity's evolution. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Better than I expected, almost lived up to the potential Dune set. Too bad it won't stand alone without the backstories of both Dune Messiah and Children of Dune. Looking forward to reading what happens next. ( )
  AuntieClio | Apr 6, 2014 |
By far my favourite Dune novel this is where the series truly becomes epic. Set some three thousand years after Leto II replaces his father as the controller of the universe's destiny this book takes us through Leto II's last days. Leto has had the courage to do what his father could not and become the God emperor of Dune and now his final sacrifice will reshape the universe. I could have happily seen the Dune series end after this book. ( )
  ecumenicalcouncil | Jan 2, 2014 |
Action, plot twists and drama - all you expect from a Dune book. This time much of the plot is made up of two or three people in arguing in a room and the action is pushed to the sides. ( )
  MickeNimell | Aug 24, 2013 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DiFate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holland, BradCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This morning I was born in a yurt at the edge of a horse-plain in a land of a planet which no longer exists.

Tomorrow I will be born someone else in another place. I have not yet chosen. This morning, though - ahhh. this life!

When my eyes had learned to focus, I looked out at sunshine on trampled grass and I saw vigorous people going about the sweet activities of their lives.

Where ... oh where has all of that vigor gone?

~ The Stolen Journals
To
Peggy Rowntree
with love and admiration and deep appreciation
Prologue -

Excerpt from the speech by Hadi Benotto announcing the discoveries at Dar-es-Balat on the planet of Rakis:

It not only is my pleasure to announce to you this morning our discovery of this marvelous storehouse containing, among other things, a monumental collection of manuscripts inscribed on ridulian crystal paper, but I also take pride in giving you our arguments for the authenticity of our discoveries, to tell you why we believe we have uncovered the original journals of Leto II, the God Emperor.
The three people running northward through moon shadows in the Forbidden Forest were strung out along almost half a kilometer.
AR 5.8, 22 Pts
------------------

Centuries have passed on Dune itself, and the planet is green with life. Leto, the son of Dune's savior, is still alive but far from human, and hte fate of all humanity hangs on his awesome sacrifice ....
-----------------------------

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441294677, Mass Market Paperback)

Centuries have passed on Dune, and the planet is green with life. Leto, the son of Dune's savior, is still alive but far from human, and the fate of all humanity hangs on his awesome sacrifice...

"Rich fare...heady stuff." --Los Angeles Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:42 -0400)

Leto II, God Emperor of Dune, trades his humanity for immortality and, as the magnificent sandworm of Dune, desperately attempts to save mankind.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,385,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible