God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book…

God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 4) (original 1981; edition 1984)

by Frank Herbert

Title:God Emperor of Dune (Dune Chronicles, Book 4)
Authors:Frank Herbert
Info:Berkley (1984), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Dune, Arrakis, religion, heroes, gods, rebels, sand, sandworms, Shai Hulud, love, Duncans, Royal Carts, wolves, journals, Golden Path, Fish Speakers, reproduction, breeding, Atreides, Leto II, assassinations, intrigue, knowledge, surprises, worm-man, Messianic, survival, evolution, prescience, prophecy, humanity, integrity, immortality, martyrdom, tyranny, seeing the unseen, American

God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert (1981)

English (39)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (42)
In my opinion, the least interesting of the novels of the Dune Saga.
  turtlesleap | Aug 2, 2015 |
This is the novel in which Frank Herbert tries humour. A brief conversation between the God Emperor of Dune and one of his most devoted soldiers is quite entertaining. There is one aphorism, about young people, difficult decisions, and violence, which, unlike all the other aphorisms in this book and all previous books, seems to have the ring of truth. The enclosed world of Arrakis, and the Pharaonic splendor and stasis of the God Emperor are well realized. Echoes of Christian mythology are easily recognized. This novel sets up for the subsequent novel quite well.

This novel gets an extra half star for its sheer pretentiousness, which is sort of admirable.

The character of Siona is kind of ridiculous. She is the leader of a rebellion with secret cells, a rebellion that gets people killed, but Leto knows all about her and encourages her. Duncan is a bit more interesting, due to the way he keeps recurring. I could not fathom the importance of Malky. ( )
1 vote themulhern | Jul 16, 2015 |
With more than ten million copies sold, Frank Herbert's magnificent DUNE books stand among the major achievements of the imagination. Of them all, GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE, the fourth, is the greatest and the grandest. Centuries have passed on Dune itself, and the planet is green with life. Leto II, the son of Dune's savior, is still alive but far from human. He has become a human-sandworm creature, ruling over his angry and frustrated empire with his... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 25, 2015 |
This book was difficult. Not much going on until the end but lots of philosophy. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Full of interesting meditations on the nature of war, the military, history, men and women. I am very interested in seeing where the series goes from here, to finally get a glimpse at what the very expensive Golden Path bought in terms of humanity's evolution. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |

Frank Herbertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Herbert, FrankAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
DiFate, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holland, BradCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siudmak, WojciechCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This morning I was born in a yurt at the edge of a horse-plain in a land of a planet which no longer exists.

Tomorrow I will be born someone else in another place. I have not yet chosen. This morning, though - ahhh. this life!

When my eyes had learned to focus, I looked out at sunshine on trampled grass and I saw vigorous people going about the sweet activities of their lives.

Where ... oh where has all of that vigor gone?

~ The Stolen Journals
Peggy Rowntree
with love and admiration and deep appreciation
Prologue -

Excerpt from the speech by Hadi Benotto announcing the discoveries at Dar-es-Balat on the planet of Rakis:

It not only is my pleasure to announce to you this morning our discovery of this marvelous storehouse containing, among other things, a monumental collection of manuscripts inscribed on ridulian crystal paper, but I also take pride in giving you our arguments for the authenticity of our discoveries, to tell you why we believe we have uncovered the original journals of Leto II, the God Emperor.
The three people running northward through moon shadows in the Forbidden Forest were strung out along almost half a kilometer.
AR 5.8, 22 Pts

Centuries have passed on Dune itself, and the planet is green with life. Leto, the son of Dune's savior, is still alive but far from human, and hte fate of all humanity hangs on his awesome sacrifice ....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441294677, Mass Market Paperback)

Centuries have passed on Dune, and the planet is green with life. Leto, the son of Dune's savior, is still alive but far from human, and the fate of all humanity hangs on his awesome sacrifice...

"Rich fare...heady stuff." --Los Angeles Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:23 -0400)

Leto II, God Emperor of Dune, trades his humanity for immortality and, as the magnificent sandworm of Dune, desperately attempts to save mankind.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,702,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible