Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of…

Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training

by Karen Pryor

575None17,136 (4.28)9

I have a new dog. She is young, hyperactive, strong, easily startled, and exploring the world by chewing it up. This book has helped me adjust my thinking, and is on the path to allowing me to adjust hers to, well, civilize her so she can become a part of the family. Part of the book is psychology, part is training. One of the insights from the book is that one can train dogs, dolphins, and even people with these signal-and-reward tools. Besides helping me to bring the dog under control (an on-going process), it has pointed me to some ways to create useful habits for myself. Highly recommended! ( )
  EowynA | Aug 10, 2012 |
It includes tons of interesting stories, not just about dogs, that support theories discussed. I highly recommend this book to everyone, it provides a different perspective for handling the many annoying situations presented on a daily basis.
barb0604 Rating Excellent
  dobermantalk | Oct 31, 2010 |
I love this book. I've done clickertraining for years with pets, injured wildlife, and -- oh yeah! -- my husband and daughter. This book explains the basis of the techniques in a clear and engaging way.
  ShiraC | Mar 23, 2008 |
Many books show you methods of training and "how to" train an animal to do something. This book explains why those methods work, common pitfalls when training animals, and real world examples of training. Pryor created an invaluable resource for training animals from theory to practice in all animals. ( )
  tabscat | Dec 12, 2007 |
Wonderful methods of getting animals or people to do what you want. ( )
2 vote brendajanefrank | Oct 3, 2007 |

A Better Way to Better Behavior

Karen Pryor's clear and entertaining explanation of behavioral training methods made Don't Shoot the Dog! a bestselling classic. Now this revised edition presents more of her insights into animal—and human—behavior.

A groundbreaking behavioral scientist and dynamic animal trainer, Karen Pryor is a powerful proponent of the principles and practical uses of positive reinforcement in teaching new behaviors. Here are the secrets of changing behavior in pets, kids—even yourself—without yelling, threats, force, punishment, guilt trips...or shooting the dog:

•The principles of the revolutionary "clicker training" method, which owes its phenomenal success to its immediacy of response—so there is no question what action you are rewarding
•8 methods of ending undesirable habits—from furniture-clawing cats to sloppy roommates
•The 10 laws of "shaping" behavior–for results without strain or pain through "affection training"
•Tips for house-training the dog, improving your tennis game, or dealing with an impossible teen
•Explorations of exciting new uses for reinforcement training

Learn why pet owners rave, "This book changed our lives!" and how these pioneering techniques can work for you too.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:47 -0400)

Discusses the underlying principles of behaviorial modification and explains how to apply the methodology of positive reinforcement of areas ranging from memory improvement to breaking addictive habits.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible