Today Will Be Different by Maria Semple

Today Will Be Different

by Maria Semple

To Read (411)

Another fun fast read from Semple. Her "heroines" always crack me up - I love their snarky view of everyone else, their sense of losing control while trying to keep all the balls in the air. Supposedly Julia Roberts is producing and starring in the upcoming movie, should be fun to see how it compares! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Today Will Be Different was short and quirky. I like the title and the way it begins, the main character wanting to change the way she lives her life, without complaints; being a better wife, mother, and overall human being. An attractive premise. What I found difficult was the characters. I wanted to like them, but I could not find a connection. I enjoyed Semple's previous book, Where'd You Go, Bernadette? and feel she is an excellent writer with a unique style. Although this book was not for me, I believe others may appreciate it. ( )
  CherieKephart | Jul 24, 2018 |
This is the story of one day in the life of Eleanor Flood: cartoon artist, mother of young son, wife of prominent hand surgeon, and victim of scatter-brained, desperate personality.

At the onset of her morning, Eleanor declares:

“Today will be different. Today I will be present. Today, anyone I speak to, I will look them in the eye and listen deeply. Today I’ll play a board game with Timby. I’ll initiate sex with Joe. Today I will take pride in my appearance. I’ll shower, get dressed in proper clothes, and change into yoga clothes only for yoga, which today I will actually attend. Today I won’t swear. I won’t talk about money. Today there will be an ease about me. My face will be relaxed, its resting place a smile. Today I will radiate calm. Kindness and self-control will abound. Today I will buy local. Today I will be my best self, the person I’m capable of being. Today will be different.”

Eleanor is just scrambling to keep it together. Today, her son Timby calls from school with yet another stomach ache, she’s afraid she’s offended her poetry mentor with flippant comments, she accidentally/ on purpose stole another mother’s keys, and she’s running late to meet a former hapless employee for lunch only to discover he’s become a huge success. Not to mention, everyone she talks with is asking about her sister, and she insists she doesn’t have one (*no spoilers here). When she drops by her husband’s office, the receptionist says he’s on vacation . . . except Joe isn’t on vacation. So what’s going on? Eleanor is going to blow like a hurricane through this day to right wrongs and discover truths, and you’re her sidekick, riding this mess with her.

One aspect I especially appreciated was her relationship with her husband, Joe. Semple nailed it, in that Joe is the perfect counter-balance to Eleanor’s anxiety. When she’s freaking out, he is the calming influence; when she loses her way, he shows her that it’s okay to feel lost. She analogizes this yin-yang as a “competent traveler” and “helpless traveler.” The difference with Eleanor, however, is that she’s beginning to realize that she’s been the helpless traveler for far too long.

I actually enjoyed the frenetic, quirky, frazzled tale of Eleanor Flood and her constant worry. The only unrelatable part, however, was that Eleanor’s life is full of Rich People Problems. Not many of us can spend our time worrying about if we’re going to make our lunch date at the upscale boutique restaurant on time after dropping off our only child at his private school in our luxury car. But, this story is also deeper than most reviewers give it credit for: there’s sibling jealousy, marital discord, and self-doubt, and all through it is humor, and that makes it all okay.

The story is insightful, comforting, and sometimes over-the-top. I enjoyed it, and the audio narration was delightful. Recommended for anyone who has forgotten Teacher Appreciation Day, or had a falling out with a friend, or who has ever questioned their career choices. In other words, everyone. All of us are part Eleanor.

ErickaS | May 2, 2018 |
I really have fun reading Maria Semple's novels. They are the ramblings of an overloaded mind which in today's society any one of us can relate to. This book is just the day in the life of an over worked mom. Sometimes our minds have a will of their own... ( )
  whybehave2002 | Mar 26, 2018 |
I have been in somewhat of a reading rut and this book certainly helped. I was hooked from the beginning and I had a really difficult time getting myself to put it down. I'm currently finding myself wanting a little bit more, but I also loved how the story developed and felt like I was really part of the action. ( )
  BEGivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
For George and Poppy and, to a lesser extent, Ralphy
Today will be different.

A brilliant novel from the author of Where'd You Go, Bernadette, about a day in the life of Eleanor Flood, forced to abandon her small ambitions and awake to a strange, new future.

Eleanor knows she's a mess. But today, she will tackle the little things. She will shower and get dressed. She will have her poetry and yoga lessons after dropping off her son, Timby. She won't swear. She will initiate sex with her husband, Joe. But before she can put her modest plan into action-life happens. Today, it turns out, is the day Timby has decided to fake sick to weasel his way into his mother's company. It's also the day Joe has chosen to tell his office-but not Eleanor-that he's on vacation. Just when it seems like things can't go more awry, an encounter with a former colleague produces a graphic memoir whose dramatic tale threatens to reveal a buried family secret.

TODAY WILL BE DIFFERENT is a hilarious, heart-filled story about reinvention, sisterhood, and how sometimes it takes facing up to our former selves to truly begin living.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 22 Apr 2016 19:37:07 -0400)

Eleanor knows she's a mess. But today, she will tackle the little things. She will shower and get dressed. She will have her poetry and yoga lessons after dropping off her son, Timby. She won't swear. She will initiate sex with her husband, Joe. But before she can put her modest plan into action--life happens. Today, it turns out, is the day Timby has decided to fake sick to weasel his way into his mother's company. It's also the day Joe has chosen to tell his office--but not Eleanor--that he's on vacation. Just when it seems like things can't go more awry, an encounter with a former colleague produces a graphic memoir whose dramatic tale threatens to reveal a buried family secret. A hilarious, heart-filled story about reinvention, sisterhood, and how sometimes it takes facing up to our former selves to truly begin living.… (more)

Maria Semple is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible