Kill Chain by Meg Gardiner

I am a huge Meg Gardiner fan. She is an expert at weaving a thrilling tale and this one is right up there with the rest. I was devastated at the end of Crosscut, and while Kill Chain made me feel a little better, I'm still agonizing over the plight of Evan Delaney. Honestly, I think that's the true test of a writer of any fictional genre... can you make the reader care so much about your character's so much that they think of them as real people? With Meg Gardiner's stories, you can't help it.

I was getting a little frustrated with Evan for her inability to stay out of trouble, but lately trouble seems to find her. The one thing I adore about Evan (here I go again, discussing her as though she were real) is the fact that she doesn't wait around for things to be taken care of, but jumps in with both feet whether she has all the facts or not. She would do anything for those she loves, which is what makes this book particularly heart-wrenching.

The story is solid and while there is little room to catch your breath there is always Ms. Gardiner's droll sarcasm to help lighten the mood a little. I was slightly dismayed at the fact that this book is left so open-ended, because I feared that it might be the last book in the series - this book was published in 2008 and since then Ms. Gardiner has turned her attention to another fantastic series, Jo Beckett. However, Ms. Gardiner assured us that this is not the end of the road for the Delaney series, so I can breathe a little easier. Evan actually makes an appearance in Gardiner's latest Jo Beckett book, The Nightmare Thief - I actually bought this book the day of it's release but held off on reading it, because I wanted to be up to date with Evan.

I don't want to say too much more about the book for fear of spoiling things, but I loved how we got some answers to questions that have been plaguing Evan for a while, even though they only brought more questions. This is a fabulous series and Kill Chain is a spectacular addition to it. I'd say it's my second favorite book in the series. I can't get enough of her work, and if you love thrillers, with kick-butt women, Meg Gardiner's books are for you!

http://girlsjustreading.blogspot.com/2011/12/group-review-kill-chain.html ( )
  jaharnick | Jan 31, 2012 |
an excellent read if you like an action-filled plot, the plot moved pretty swiftly and I enjoyed the characters even though I had not read the previous Evan character books. I would recommend it! ( )
  lppn38 | Jan 31, 2009 |
Great read, though I can't say I'm happy about the ending, particularly since there's no date yet for book #6. ( )
  youthfulzombie | Feb 3, 2008 |
For Paul. Again, and always.
Don't ever pray for insight. You're liable to get it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451225236, Mass Market Paperback)

When Evan Delaney finds her father’s car at the bottom of a ravine, the police suspect suicide—but there’s no body. Evan’s suspicions of something sinister are confirmed when she receives a call from her father’s kidnappers. The ransom isn’t money, but more of a puzzle—one that Evan has only 72 hours to piece together, as she follows a madman’s trail into the very heart of darkness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:23 -0400)

When Evan Delaney's father disappears, the cops think he's fled the coutnry to avoid prosecution. But Evan is sure that Phil has been abducted or killed for reasons associated with his work for Naval Intelligence. Can Evan save her father's reputation - and his life?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,990,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible