Moscow Stories by Loren R. Graham

Moscow Stories

by Loren R. Graham

I stumbled across Moscow Stories while perusing the bookshelves at a local B&N, but left without making the purchase. What I'd read of the first chapter stayed with me until the weekend when I had to go back and pick it up. I'm so glad I did. This was a fascinating read that deserves to be on more bookshelves.

The book opens with Loren Graham's childhood recollections of communism in small-town Indiana, but quickly moves to his numerous visits from college through adulthood. What's most interesting is the way he balances a real love for the people he meets against a political system gone awry. Yet, in spite of his concerns about the government, he also turns down requests from the U.S. to report on his trips.

Many adventures had me laughing out loud, from life as an exchange student in the dorms to finding creative ways to dispose of the contents of many vodka bottles. Others, particularly the medical saga of his close friend, were heart-rending.

I'd recommend this for anyone who's interested in personal accounts of cold war relations or life in the former USSR. ( )
1 vote nikitasamuelle | Jul 9, 2009 |
Wendell Furry's death, two-years with Bohr
  fneddy | May 16, 2008 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,449,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible