Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen) by John…

Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen)

by John Gwynne

I'm not the biggest fan of The Faithful and the Fallen series, and I think in the end I'll give it somewhere between 2.5 and 3 stars. Perhaps, I shouldn't have read to the end...but after 3 books, I decided I want to finish.

Malice introduced a prophecy, and it was the prophecy that made me stick around. It wasn't immediately clear which character plays which role in the prophecy and that plus angels, fallen angels and a war between gods sounded exciting.

I'm a sucker for a good prophecy.

The writing felt a bit wooden, and the characters not all that developed, and everyone now and then I wondered if I was reading a history book instead of a work of fiction. The pacing is slow, and it takes a while for the story to get going...but the last 150 pages or so are pretty darn good.

In Valor the author repeated the same thing. Hundreds and hundreds of pages that were moving at a glacial pace. Female characters that felt like they were just there, so there's something besides spitting and grunting men.

The development of the prophecy was predictable. I waited for a surprise, but there was none. However, the last 150 pages almost made up for that again.

Fair enough. Maybe book 3 will be better.

Now Ruin has a shocking emotional ending, which made it necessary for me to pick up the final book. It also had a few twists and turns I didn't expect. Of course, there was once again a slow start and a slow middle, only for the finale to be explosive. But surely book 4 would be different?

Well, guess what? Book 4 does it again. Hundreds of pages that don't really matter and then an explosive final battle.

Only everything ended exactly as I predicted and every hero conveniently got to face their own nemesis. That's not how life works and that's not how fiction should work. The chapters were choppy and the POV changes became so frequent they were annoying.

And I wasn't surprised a single time...

I came for the prophecy, I stayed for the prophecy and ultimately I was let down by predictable plotting.

I can't recommend this one because I wish I'd stopped reading. BUT...I'm in the minority, most fantasy fans love these four books, so once again, don't listen to me, happy reading! ( )
  Vinjii | Jun 18, 2018 |
Wow. Just...wow.

This book was an absolutely incredible read. I know I have said this about the other books in this series, but this is EXACTLY what a high fantasy book should be. It has literally everything: epic fights, crushing losses, funny moments, adventure, and uncertainty. The writing wove everything together in such a beautiful and captivating way and before I knew it, the book was over.

There were so many moments where I found myself screaming for the blood of certain characters and other times where I found myself cheering for hard-fought victories. There were moments where I felt myself getting choked up and times where I thought things had worked out, only to be tricked and crushed. The author did an absolutely amazing job with literally everything that went into this story.

On an individual level, the characters themselves grew in so many ways and they felt very real, even the horribly evil ones. The bad guys we lost made so happy (some of their ends were very satisfying) and the good ones made my reading heart feel empty.

The ending of this series hit me hard. I absolutely flew through this series and I really really wish I could have more of this world right now. I have not felt this attached to a series since Harry Potter. I will be eagerly awaiting more from this author. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
Wow. Just...wow.

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Events are coming to a climax in the Banished Lands, as the war reaches new heights. King Nathair has taken control of the fortress at Drassil and three of the Seven Treasures are in his possession. And together with Calidus and his ally Queen Rhin, Nathair will do anything to obtain the remaining Treasures. With all seven under his command, he can open a portal to the Otherworld. Then Asroth and his demon-horde will finally break into the Banished Lands and become flesh. Meanwhile Corban has been taken prisoner by the Jotun, warrior giants who ride their enormous bears into battle. His warband scattered, Corban must make new allies if he hopes to survive. But can he bond with competing factions of warlike giants? Somehow he must, if he's to counter the threat Nathair represents. His life hangs in the balance - and with it, the fate of the Banished Lands.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,761,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible