Once upon a More Enlightened Time: More…

Once upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime… (edition 1995)

by James Finn Garner

Member:msbhaven
Title:Once upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
Authors:James Finn Garner
Info:MacMillan Publishing Company (1995), Hardcover, 84 pages

Once Upon a More Enlightened Time: More Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner

Recently added byprivate library, SalarShushan, Anvity, Hansford, cpence, ReadyMcBookerson, kitber

once again, another cute book. quick read, funny and worth reading if you can borrow it or snag a free copy. I enjoyed Garner's take on all the fairy tales and serveral made me laugh out loud. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Dec 4, 2013 |
What a hoot! Now I want to read Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Aug 30, 2013 |
It was an ok book overall. It made me laugh every nog and again and the short tales where amusing if not altogether really funny. I especially enjoyed some jokes involving poultry (in the hare and trotoise tale). ( )
  Moriquen | Sep 18, 2011 |
I love re-tellings of old tales. And Garner did a classy job in Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. He tries to continue the rich vein here, but it shrivels to mediocrity.
The PC language is still funny, but the inspired twists are missing.
The book is on my ‘to get rid of’ pile.
The best of the stories is “Sleeping Persun of Better-Than-Average Attractiveness.”

PS: the jacket blurb boasts that the London daily Telegraph has called Garner a “smart-alec, mealy-mouthed creep.” So much for good karma. ( )
  2wonderY | Aug 18, 2010 |
Beth's review: A friend brought this for me to borrow and i sat and read it in three hours. This is a very good way to look at the way things has changed from the times the fairy tales were written.
I love the way all of the fairy tales are written. There were times i was laughing out load at the was Garner had written to make them all politically correct. If you have a sense of humor and hate the way things seem to be corrected to not offend anyone then this is a must read.

From Dan:
fairy tales and folk tales alike change each time a tale is repeated and passed down from generation to generation. Much like the large differences on the "traditional" fairy tales, and those originally penned by the Brothers Grimm, so has Garner put the fairy tale in a new light, and with a twist. From "PC" spellings of words, to the descriptions of things written so as not to dare offend anyone's PC attitudes, Garner has a blast retelling tales of old and breathing new life and fun into them. Comprised of 8 PC fairy tales, Garner's humor is sure to bring a laugh, grin, or chuckle from almost anyone who reads these tales. Anyone of course, excepting those who have had thier entire sense of humor, sarcasm and wit removed by a skilled proctologist during a pyschiatric combination examination. ( )
  dbhutch | May 27, 2010 |
At the outset, I would like to apologize sincerely for the success of my last book.

Another enlightened collection from the bestselling author of Politically Correct Bedtime Stories. Garner continues his mission to liberate our classic fairy tales from archaic, sexist, ageist, classist, lookist, and environmentally unsound prejudices with a new collection of humorous tales for readers of evolved consciousness. 13 line drawings.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:29 -0400)

Includes "politically correct" versions of The little mermaid and Sleeping Beauty.

James Finn Garner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible