Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to…

Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to the World's Hidden Wonders (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Joshua Foer (Author)

"Wonder meets wanderlust in an extraordinary new travel book. Created by the founders of AtlasObscura.com, the vibrant online destination and community with over 3 million visitors a month, Atlas Obscura is the bucket-list guide to over 700 of the most unusual, curious, bizarre, and mysterious places on earth" --… (more)
Member:ThinkingGuy
Title:Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to the World's Hidden Wonders
Authors:Joshua Foer (Author)
Info:Workman Publishing Company (2016), 480 pages

Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to the World's Hidden Wonders by Joshua Foer (2016)

English (10)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I've been a fan of the website (www.atlasobscura.com) for a long time, and when I heard there was going to be a book, I just knew I had to read it.

And like the website, this is a very curious collection of interesting things from all over the world. Those who have been browsing, might recognize some of the entries, but this didn't bother me in the slightest. The entries are all short and often accompanied by pictures, making it perfect to read a small part at a time.

Would recommend!

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Interesting and as advertised. ( )
  Fiddleback_ | Dec 17, 2018 |
A book I keep out that never fails to get picked up and draw someone in. Full of offbeat places to discover and visit either in real life or via armchair. Highly recommended to anyone who's the curious sort, likes to wander, but isn't lost, or has a spirit of adventure and discovery that itineraries, maps, or 'the touristy experience,' can't fully satisfy.

There's a website too that complements but doesn't compete. As is often the case, nothing beats the physical experience of the book. ( )
  angiestahl | Mar 27, 2018 |
I bought this book as a holiday gift for myself and was not disappointed. It is greatly imaginative, and tribute to all the obscure and eccentric wonders that humans design. There is also a Facebook page on Atlas Obscure which never fails to entertain. Great gift book for a book lover or traveler! ( )
  kerryp | Mar 6, 2018 |
Atlas Obscura adds a unique perspective on the discourse of placehood. While in considering the breath and scope of the strange places shown in the Atlas, it seems unlikely that it poses much usage of a travel guide. Rather, it serves best as a "coffee table"-type text, which presents an otherwise neglected realism upon places we fantasize; the Atlas is aware of this purpose, and maintains tonal integrity to secure its effect.

That said, given the previous scope issue, this book cannot be perfect, nor can any book attempting to achieve the lofty goals set by Atlas Obscura. However, don't despair, for Atlas Obscura (the producers of the book) operate an active Facebook page, which provides news of obscure places, and increases the reader's awareness of place. ( )
  MarchingBandMan | Sep 12, 2017 |

Joshua Foerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morton, Ellamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Thuras, Dylanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Keenan, JenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
MacNeill, ScottMapssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nicolay, SophieIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vicario, JanetDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
The beginning of our happiness lies in the understanding that life without wonder is not worth living.
—Abraham Joshua Heschel
When we launched Atlas Obscura in 2009, our goal was to create a catalog of all the places, people, and things that inspire our sense of wonder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,803,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible