Prelude to Foundation (Foundation Novels) by…
5,66473753 (3.71)1 / 52
Title:Prelude to Foundation (Foundation Novels)
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Spectra (1989), Mass Market Paperback, 493 pages
Tags:science fiction

Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov (1988)

Recently added bySteven-Dierks, Enel.Pungas, private library, librarypimpin, Labrose, NemeKris, LitaVore, Madden_02

English (65)  Italian (4)  French (2)  Russian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (73)
I was told that Isaac Asimov’s works are the best place to begin as a total Sci-fi neophyte. Traditionalists may disagree with starting with Book “0”, as the original Foundation series were a trilogy beginning with “Foundation”, but chronologically the origins of psychohistory begin with Prelude to Foundation .
Mathematician Hari Seldon has theorized a new science called psychohistory, which if realized could become a means by which to predict the future of humanity. Naturally, the implications of this science have made Hari Seldon “the most wanted man in the [Galactic] Empire”. Hari must now race to prevent himself and his theory from falling into the wrong hands, globe-trotting across multiple civilizations to protect the prophetic power which he nevertheless sees as nearly impossible to prove.

It is not difficult to see what makes Asimov a mastermind of not only sci-fiction but also fiction itself. The world that he has carved through the Foundation series is timeless and immense, but his tenderness toward culture and history demonstrates an anthropological sharpness unlike no other. The novel’s cultural imagination leads us through faraway worlds equally complex as our own, with a mathematician-turned-anthropologist whose quest for knowledge keeps preventing him from staying out of trouble. Observant readers will be amazed at the profundity and quality of the dialogue -- few can match Asimov’s ability to capture tone, response and body gestures with such precision, making any and all characters come to life so effortlessly.

Young and old reader alike will join in the celebration of one of the most intricately crafted worlds of futuristic fiction, appreciating the immortality of literature that prompts us to dream full-heartedly.

Liked my review? Check out my book blog for more! ( )
  biblio-empire | Aug 12, 2016 |
At first I was unsure how this would work out. This is a prequel to his first 'Foundation' book written over 25 years prior and before he decided to tie most of his book series together. Wow, I was mistaken to be doubtful. This book was amazing. In 'Foundation' we get only a glimpse of Trantor in its prime, whereas the entirety of this book takes place there and we get to see quite a bit more of Trantor.

I do feel like the Trantor in this book was portrayed only slightly differently, in the domed over aspect. By the original book I expected Trantor to be more of a Coruscant type world with massive buildings everywhere. In this book almost all of the cities on Trantor have massive domes and it seems like from space you'd see a dark, seemingly uninhabited world - for the most part. A really minor point though.

I'm not sure what order I'd recommend reading the books in. I read the original 5 books first, then this one. There's a number of references in this book that, having already read 'Foundation and Earth', I was quite giddy about.

To sum it all up though: I really enjoyed this book. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
Interesting ideas in a dialogue heavy story with rather dull characters and weak women. ( )
  LaPhenix | Apr 27, 2016 |
  MisaBookworm | Feb 2, 2016 |
The Foundation series (there are seven books in all though the three originals - _Foundation_, _Foundation and Empire_, and _Second Foundation_ - are the best of the series) is classic sci-fi and some of Asimov’s best. His characters are rather flat, his plots bog down in ideas and are rather short on action. That being said, these books can still thrill you if you’ve never read them and if you’re a sci-fi fan, you will probably love them. Asimov reminds us that history repeats itself and this a _Decline and Fall_ set in the future. This book is the prequel to the entire series. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anselmi, PieroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cormier, WilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segrelles, VicenteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jennifer "Green Pencil" Brehl,
the best and hardest-working editor in the world.
CLEON I - The last Galactic Emperor of the Entun dynasty.
Suppressing a small yawn, Cleon said, "Demerzel, have you by any chance ever heard of a man named Hari Seldon?"
Suppressing a small yawn, Cleon said, 'Demerzel, have you by any chance ever heard of a man named Hari Seldon?'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553278398, Mass Market Paperback)

It is the year 12,020 G.E. and Emperor Cleon I sits uneasily on the Imperial throne of Trantor. Here in the great multidomed capital of the Galactic Empire, forty billion people have created a civilization of unimaginable technological and cultural complexity. Yet Cleon knows there are those who would see him fall - those whom he would destroy if only he could read the future.

Hari Seldon has come to Trantor to deliver his paper on psychohistory, his remarkable theory of prediction. Little does the young Outworld mathematician know that he has already sealed his fate and the fate of humanity. For Hari possesses the prophetic power that makes him the most wanted man in the Empire... the man who holds the key to the future - an apocalyptic power to be know forever after as the Foundation.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

In the year 12,020 G.E., Hari Seldon arrives in the domed city of Trantor and begins to develop his theory of psychohistory, which predicts the rise of a power greater than the Empire.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,730,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible