Prelude to Foundation (Foundation Novels) by…
5,18253862 (3.7)1 / 45
Member:wildbill
Title:Prelude to Foundation (Foundation Novels)
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Spectra (1989), Mass Market Paperback, 493 pages
Tags:science fiction

Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov (1988)

English (46)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Russian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (53)
This is the first, in order of reading, of Dr Asimov's books to be titled as a Foundation novel and it deals with the early life of Hari Seldon when he first arrives on Trantor and begins wondering about the possibilities of a science that could predict the direction of Human history. Seldon and Dors Venebilis go on the run from the Emperor's attempts to control Seldon and through him his new science.

Some of the 'action' scenes may seem a little laughable, but these have never been one of Asimov's strong points but this story does depend on the interactions between Seldon, Dor and those who help and hinder them and this is another area whre Asimove doesn't really shine over this length of story telling. ( )
  JohnFair | May 26, 2014 |
A long way from my favourite by "Uncle Isaac", but it does try to fill in the story of Hari Seldon a bit. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Dec 3, 2013 |
It is the year 12,020 G.E. and Emperor Cleon I sits uneasily on the Imperial throne of Trantor. Here in the great multidomed capital of the Galactic Empire, forty billion people have created a civilization of unimaginable technological and cultural complexity. Yet Cleon knows there are those who would see him fall - those whom he would destroy if only he could read the future.

Hari Seldon has come to Trantor to deliver his paper on psychohistory, his remarkable theory of prediction. Little does the young Outworld mathematician know that he has already sealed his fate and the fate of humanity. For Hari possesses the prophetic power that makes him the most wanted man in the Empire... the man who holds the key to the future - an apocalyptic power to be know forever after as the Foundation.

### From Library Journal

To Emperor Cleon I, the science of psychohistory seems to offer the opportunity to predict and direct the course of his Galactic Empire. To Hari Seldon, discoverer of the still theoretical science, it becomes a nightmare as the young historian becomes the most wanted man in the colonized universe. An intricately twisted plot, uncomplicated but amiable characters, and an abundance of leisurely explication mark Asimov's latest addition to his classic Foundation novels. While familiarity with earlier titles is not necessary, series followers will particularly enjoy this prequel. Recommended.JC
Copyright 1988 Reed Business Information, Inc.

### About the Author

Isaac Asimov began his Foundation Series at the age of twenty-one, not realizing that it would one day be considered a cornerstone of science fiction. During his legendary career, Asimov penned over 470 books on subjects ranging from science to Shakespeare to history, though he was most loved for his award-winning science fiction sagas, which include the Robot, Empire, and Foundation series. Named a Grand Master of Science Fiction by the Science Fiction Writers of America, Asimov entertained and educated readers of all ages for close to five decasdes. He died, at age of seventy-two, in April 1992. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
One of Isaac Asimov's best works, and - I think - the one I read first (many years ago, of course). Given my renewed interest in science fiction, I decided to begin collecting Asimov's works again, and (at my hinting) my wife gifted me a new copy of this.

It is an excellent work of science, culture, and supposition, as good science fiction should be. Some of the twists I remembered from previous readings, but others I could foresee without remembering (the nature of Dors, for example, is easily surmised, but the person of Hummin is a surprising twist). Asimov did a swell job, too, as he portrayed the various emotional and personal characteristics that he pointed out in each character in the final section of the novel. There is no doubt, no confusion, as we look back on the story, that each character is exactly as described (especially Seldon and his pride).

I have every intention of continuing to (re-)read Asimov's works, and this was a delightful way to remind myself of his universe. I shall endeavor, of course, to go back as well as forward; I have read his Foundation novels, but not his Empire ones, and few of his Robot works. This must be remedied. ( )
  Versor | Sep 7, 2013 |
Very fun read. This book is no great masterpiece, but is easy and fun to read. It was written as a prequel to Asimov's famous [book:Foundation|29579], which I have yet to read. I generally don't read books this size (200+ pages) unless they are works that are more serious; or, unless they are of my favorite genre: historical fiction. However, this book is fun enough that I may change my mind and continue reading the series. ( )
  jdgarner68 | Jul 20, 2013 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anselmi, PieroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cormier, WilCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segrelles, VicenteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jennifer "Green Pencil" Brehl,
the best and hardest-working editor in the world.
Headnote:
CLEON I - The last Galactic Emperor of the Entun dynasty.
Text:
Suppressing a small yawn, Cleon said, 'Demerzel, have you by any chance ever heard of a man named Hari Seldon?'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553278398, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:50 -0400)

In the year 12,020 G.E., Hari Seldon arrives in the domed city of Trantor and begins to develop his theory of psychohistory, which predicts the rise of a power greater than the Empire.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,943,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible