Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

Red Mars

by Kim Stanley Robinson

Series: Mars Trilogy (1)

5,405108803 (3.92)1 / 273

English (99)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (107)
Well written, but I wasn't interested in the story. ( )
  Belles007 | Mar 4, 2016 |
Read this both for book club, and as part of my read-all-the-Hugo&Nebula-Award-Winners undertaking. (Which means I have to read both sequels, as well.)
It's a good book, but it's not my favorite.
It's an ambitious, even epic, saga of the colonization of Mars. It's slow-moving, and full of well-researched details from a large number of different fields of study.
Personally, I felt like the characters and story were just kind of there to keep me reading about the history of Mars - it felt almost like a documentary. (Some in our group agreed; others strongly disagreed, so make of that what you will.) While the characters were unique and individual, they were also kind of 'examples of types' - each illustrating a different philosophical/political position on the theoretical terraforming effort (which, of course, rapidly devolves from a project of pure science to a goal co-opted by everyone from transnational corporations to various ethnic, religious, you-name-it, factions.)
The writing style reminded me quit a lot of S.M. Stirling - but without the aspects of Stirling's work that have annoyed me.
It's an interesting book, full of issues to consider - but the experience is closer to reading a textbook than a fast-paced sci-fi thriller. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Struggled through this book and more than once considered throwing in the towel. I should have done — it really is terrible.
  PossMan | Jan 20, 2016 |
I really enjoyed Red Mars. I loved that it was more about the people than about the science, although the science was certainly there underpinning the story. I loved that the people were neither good nor bad, they weren't supermen and superwomen, they were ordinary people with good and bad points, and even when they did things wrong (Frank, I'm looking at you) you can understand their motivations, and recognize them as human.

This story makes you believe that it could really happen, and people being what we are, this is how it would actually go.
  weesam | Jan 4, 2016 |

Kim Stanley Robinsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dixon, DonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elson, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Lisa
Mars was empty before we came.
"We became friends first," Arkady said once, "that's what makes this different, don't you think?" He prodded her with a finger. "I love you."
When you expect to live another two hundred years, you behave differently from when you expect to live only twenty.
Possess nothing and be possessed by nothing. Put away what you have in your head, give what you have in your heart.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553560735, Mass Market Paperback)

Red Mars opens with a tragic murder, an event that becomes the focal point for the surviving characters and the turning point in a long intrigue that pits idealistic Mars colonists against a desperately overpopulated Earth, radical political groups of all stripes against each other, and the interests of transnational corporations against the dreams of the pioneers.

This is a vast book: a chronicle of the exploration of Mars with some of the most engaging, vivid, and human characters in recent science fiction. Robinson fantasizes brilliantly about the science of terraforming a hostile world, analyzes the socio-economic forces that propel and attempt to control real interplanetary colonization, and imagines the diverse reactions that humanity would have to the dead, red planet.

Red Mars is so magnificent a story, you will want to move on to Blue Mars and Green Mars. But this first, most beautiful book is definitely the best of the three. Readers new to Robinson may want to follow up with some other books that take place in the colonized solar system of the future: either his earlier (less polished but more carefree) The Memory of Whiteness and Icehenge, or 1998's Antarctica. --L. Blunt Jackson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

Chronicles the colonization of Mars in the year 2026. In his most ambitious project to date, award-winning author Kim Stanley Robinson utilizes years of research and cutting-edge science in the first of three novels that will chronicle the colonization of Mars. For eons, sandstorms have swept the barren desolate landscape of the red planet. For centuries, Mars has beckoned to mankind to come and conquer its hostile climate. Now, in the year 2026, a group of one hundred colonists is about to fulfill that destiny. John Boone, Maya Toitovna, Frank Chalmers, and Arkady Bogdanov lead a mission whose ultimate goal is the terraforming of Mars. For some, Mars will become a passion driving them to daring acts of courage and madness; for others it offers an opportunity to strip the planet of its riches. And for the genetic "alchemists, " Mars presents a chance to create a biomedical miracle, a breakthrough that could change all we know about life, and death. The colonists place giant satellite mirrors in Martian orbit to reflect light to the planet's surface. Black dust sprinkled on the polar caps will capture warmth and melt the ice. And massive tunnels, kilometers in depth, will be drilled into the Martian mantle to create stupendous vents of hot gases. Against this backdrop of epic upheaval, rivalries, loves, and friendships will form and fall to pieces, for there are those who will fight to the death to prevent Mars from ever being changed. Brilliantly imagined, breathtaking in scope and ingenuity, Red Mars is an epic scientific saga, chronicling the next step in human evolution and creating a world in its entirety. Red Mars shows us a future, with both glory and tarnish, that awes with complexity and inspires with vision.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,908,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible