Watching Edie by Camilla Way

Watching Edie

by Camilla Way

Heather was immediately drawn to Edie. Edie was new in town, she was beautiful and creative, and she didn't know Heather was an outcast. But their friendship gradually starts to deteriorate when Edie falls in love with a handsome bad boy named Connor. All that is in the past now. They're no longer teenagers and they're no longer friends. Edie works as a waitress. She's pregnant and alone. When the baby arrives she becomes overwhelmed and sinks into a depression. There's no one she can turn to for help. Until Heather suddenly shows up at her door and begins to take care of the baby with no questions asked. But there's so much that has been left unspoken, too much has happened when they were teenagers for their friendship to ever go back to the way it was when they first met all those years ago.

This book goes back and forth between before the incident and after. Edie's perspective is told in the present and Heather's is told in the past. I couldn't wait to find out what tore their friendship apart, and when I finally found out, well, it just wasn't what I thought would happen. I think there are so many layers to both characters that ultimately we can see how things shaped them into who they were as teenagers and as adults. I thought Edie really grew as an adult and I did enjoy the very end. ( )
  jenn88 | Dec 30, 2017 |
Edie was the kind of girl who caused a stir when she walked into your life. And she had dreams back then—but she soon learned that things don’t always turn out the way you want them to. Now, at thirty-three, Edie is working as a waitress, pregnant and alone. And when she becomes overwhelmed by the needs of her new baby and sinks into a bleak despair, she thinks that there’s no one to turn to

But someone’s been watching Edie, waiting for the chance to prove once again what a perfect friend she can be. And Edie’s about to learn a new lesson: those who have hurt us deeply—or who we have hurt—never let us go, not entirely.

An interesting psychological portrait of two girls who become very complicated women. Their relationship has already unraveled when they were teens, but years later it had a forced reconstruction when their individual needs emerge. Both characters took turns telling their story from their own perspective. I began to like one more and one less as the story progressed. I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever felt too afraid to stand up to a bully or to defend a friend. ( )
  Carol420 | Nov 21, 2017 |
Book Description:
Beautiful, creative, a little wild… Edie was the kind of girl who immediately caused a stir when she walked into your life. And she had dreams back then—but it didn’t take long for her to learn that things don’t always turn out the way you want them to.

Now, at thirty-three, Edie is working as a waitress, pregnant and alone. And when she becomes overwhelmed by the needs of her new baby and sinks into a bleak despair, she thinks that there’s no one to turn to…

But someone’s been watching Edie, waiting for the chance to prove once again what a perfect friend she can be. It’s no coincidence that Heather shows up on Edie’s doorstep, just when Edie needs her the most. So much has passed between them—so much envy, longing, and betrayal. And Edie’s about to learn a new lesson: those who have hurt us deeply—or who we have hurt—never let us go, not entirely…

My Review:
This is a story of two teenage girls who had a twisted friendship. The narrator switches each chapter with Heather telling the past story and Edie the present. It is very well-written and the characters are very believable. It'a about obsession, jealousy, betrayal and stalking and is a real page-turner. You can see how teenage problems carry into adulthood and their affect on a person's life. It's creepy and suspenseful and you need to keep reading in order to find out what happened long ago. The ending is a shocker that I didn't see coming. I would definitely read more by this author and I would highly recommend this book to those who love psychological thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 30, 2017 |
Three and a half star rating.
Edie, the popular one and Heather the loner become friends at school. All Heather wants is to look after her friend and keep her safe, even more so when Edie finds herself a boyfriend. Something happens and the pair lose touch - jump forward to the present time and Edie is pregnant and Heather is here again, to look after her and we discover what went so wrong before. Written then and now by both girls, we get to see what made them be the way they are. The pace of the story was good as we get to know more about these characters who are sadly not too likeable but I did empathise with them at times and could see why they behaved the way they did. There were some creepy moments and the subject was dark, especially towards the end. It was compelling enough to keep turning the pages and I would definitely read other books by this author. ( )
  boudicca123 | Apr 12, 2017 |
Beautiful, lonely Edie finds herself living in London and pregnant, without many resources. After giving birth to her daughter she slides into a profound depression. Enter Heather, Edie's old friend from high school. At first Heather is a Godsend. She cares for both Edie and her daughter, virtually taking over both their lives. As Edie emerges from her depression however she beings to feel Heather's sudden arrival in a more ominous light. Edie finally confronts the fact that she cannot run away from her past and must not only confront Edie, but her own shocking transgressions. ( )
  queencersei | Nov 16, 2016 |

"For fans of Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train: A dazzling work of psychological suspense that weaves together the past and present of two women's twisted friendship. Beautiful, creative, a little wild ... Edie was the kind of girl who immediately caused a stir when she walked into your life. And she had dreams back then--but it didn't take long for her to learn that things don't always turn out the way you want them to. Now, at thirty-three, Edie is working as a waitress, pregnant and alone. And when she becomes overwhelmed by the needs of her new baby and sinks into a bleak despair, she thinks that there's no one to turn to ... But someone's been watching Edie, waiting for the chance to prove once again what a perfect friend she can be. It's no coincidence that Heather shows up on Edie's doorstep, just when Edie needs her the most. So much has passed between them--so much envy, longing, and betrayal. And Edie's about to learn a new lesson: those who have hurt us deeply--or who we have hurt--never let us go, not entirely.."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,043,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible