Robots and Empire by Isaac Asimov

English (27)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (31)
This series continues to be among my all time favorites. Reading it for the first time instills so many incredible feelings - humanity's settling of the stars, the psychology behind growing old, nature vs. nurture, class warfare and the future. The callbacks to previous books had enormous emotional impact, Daneel and Giskard are fascinating protagonists, Gladia and DG are magnificent in their own right. I've rarely read a book that so easily painted a picture in my head of what everybody would look like, what every scene felt like. A terrific ending, and a very satisfying conclusion to the Robots Series. Onto Empire! ( )
  hskey | Apr 19, 2018 |
loved it the first time in 1994, hated it in 2016 ( )
  LordValois | Jun 3, 2017 |
Of his Robot Novels, I think I liked this one the best. Yes, it was written to tie the canon together, and as such had deliberate foreshadowing of the later books, but it was still adventurous and and an interesting twist there at the end. Now on to the Galactic Empire novels... ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
This felt just like the old times. I hesitated a bit when this one fell off the shelves onto my reading pile. It's a long time ago since I read both the Foundation and the Robot Books and I was worried I would not remember. But ten pages in I was back in my twenties and totally immersed in Asimov's greatest creations. I sped through this book, remembering Elijah Baley and becoming re-acquainted with R. Daneel Olivaw. Within the context of a space opera, this book debates the problems that the 3 Laws of Robotics could create and is a worthy successor to both the earlier series. If you've ever enjoyed Asimov, you will enjoy this. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 8, 2016 |
Robot Series: The Cave of Steel, The Naked Sun, The Robots of Dawn, Robots and Empire
  drbrendan | Jul 7, 2016 |

Asimov, Isaacprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foss, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Naveira, Rosa S. deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shaw, BarclayCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Robyn and Michael
and to the years of happiness they will
continue to enjoy as they walk the
road of life together
Gladia felt the lawn-lounge to make sure it wasn't too damp and then sat down.

OLIVAW'S TWIST

Two hundred years after his humiliating defeat at the hands of the Earthman Elijah Baley, Kelden Amadriro still dreamed of revenge. Now, finally, he set into motion a plot that would totally destroy the planet Earth.
    But Amadrio had not counted on the power Baley still exerted long after his death. For Baley's vision continued to guide his robot partner  R. Daneel Olivaw, and the extraordinarily gifted robot Giskard - and they were the only ones who could save Earth.

POPULAR ACCLAIM

"These two robots,," Glaida said, "Have never forgotten Elijah Baley, any more than I have forgotten him. THe passing decades have not in the least dimmed those memories. Whtn I knew that I might visit Baleyworld, how could I refuse to take Daneel and Giskard with me?:
   "Yes, they are robots, but they are intelligent robots who served Elijah Baley faithfully and well. It is not enough to have respect for all human beings; one must have respect for all intelligent beings. So I brought them here." Then, in a final outcry that demanded a response, "Did I do wrong?"

A gigantic cry of "No! resounded throughout the hall and everyone was on his or her feet, clapping, stamping, roaring, screaming  - on ... and on ... and on.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0586062009, Mass Market Paperback)

Isaac Asmiov's classic novel about the decline and fall of Solaria. Gladia Delmarre's homeworld, the Spacer planet Solaria, has been abandoned - by its human population. Countless robots remain there. And when traders from Settler worlds attempt to salvage them, the robots of Solaria turn to killing!in defiance of the Three Laws of Robotics. Pax Robotica Long ago, Gladia's robots Daneel and Giskard played a vital role in opening the worlds beyond the Solar system to Settlers from Earth. Now the conscience-stricken robots are faced with an even greater challenge. Either the sacred Three Laws of Robotics are in ruins - or a new, superior Law must be established to bring peace to the galaxy. With Madam Gladia and D.G. Baley - the captain of the Settler traders and a descendant of the robots' friend Elijah Baley - Daneel and Giskard travel to the robot stronghold of Solaria!where they uncover a sinister Spacer plot to destroy Earth itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:16 -0400)

"Gladia Delmarre's homeworld, the Spacer planet Solaria, has been abandoned, by its human population. Countless robots remain there. And when traders from Settler worlds attempt to salvage them, the robots of Solaria turn to killing, in defiance of the Three Laws of Robotics. Long ago, Gladia's robots Daneel and Giskard played a vital role in opening the worlds beyond the Solar system to Settlers from Earth. Now the conscience-stricken robots are faced with an even greater challenge. Either the sacred Three Laws of Robotics are in ruins, or a new, superior Law must be established to bring peace to the galaxy. With Madam Gladia and D.G. Baley, the captain of the Settler traders and a descendant of the robots' friend Elijah Baley, Daneel and Giskard travel to the robot stronghold of Solaria, where they uncover a sinister Spacer plot to destroy Earth itself."--Publisher's website.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,548,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible