Scrappy Little Nobody by NA

Scrappy Little Nobody (original 2016; edition 2016)

by NA (Author)

Member:tender_buttons
Title:Scrappy Little Nobody
Authors:NA (Author)
Info:(2016)

Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick (2016)

I really am a big fan of Anna Kendrick. Her book was not a disappointment! She is funny and heart-felt and feisty, just like I expect her to be. Many great anecdotes to make points. I will admit that the format of the book was just a little weird. There were not chapters in the truest sense of the word. Sometimes it felt like a chapter, but more often I would describe this book as an essay with many sections. Not that it is a bad thing, just different. Fans of Anna Kendrick should definitely read this book. Everyone else should read this book because you should be fans of Anna Kendrick! ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
I like Anna Kendrick but I don’t consider myself a huge fan. I chose to listen to her book because she has a reputation for being funny on Twitter and I thought it would be funny. Parts of it were funny but it was full of self-deprecating humor that rang false. She paints herself as a helpless idiot stumbling through life but a person can’t make it to where she is in the entertainment industry if they are as dumb as she makes herself out to be. Weirdly, she comes off as decidedly smug at the same time. Most of her attempts at sarcasm or irony fall flat. Unfortunately, there isn’t any celebrity dirt to make up for all of that! George Clooney is so nice, Tina Fey is so nice, and so on.

I listened to the audiobook of Scrappy Little Nobody and Anna reads it herself. Perhaps that amplified her personality and I would have liked the book more in print. What I learned from this book is that sometimes it’s harder to be funny in an essay format than in 280 characters. ( )
  mcelhra | Oct 31, 2018 |
This has been one of my favorite audiobooks! I loved the fact that Anna Kendrick read her own book, it felt more like if she'd been sitting down sharing bits and pieces of her life vs a book being read. I laughed, I cried (only a couple times! I'm a total crybaby at times.) and cheered along with her as she talked about her experiences.
I didn't really know what to expect going into this which I think was probably the best way to go with it but if your holding off on it, don't. I do feel like the book is likely better in audio version as I felt the tone and inflections in her voice added a whole additional layer. It would be a great one for somebody who maybe doesn't normally do audiobook and is a great one for commutes to work, and home. ( )
  Kylana | Aug 13, 2018 |
A humorous read with a nice chatty tone.

It did remind me of that viral PSA on social media where you see the young woman having fun in five or six different pictures, but then you're supposed to catch on that she is holding an alcoholic beverage in each one and may have a drinking problem. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
Anna Kendrick provides a window into the mysterious worlds of child actors, aspiring almost-adult actors and hollywood celebrities. She is super-funny and lets the reader in on all sorts of inside jokes, such as having to spend over a grand on a pair of shoes for the red carpet in order to look like she was important enough for a designer to have loaned her the shoes for the evening. Fun fact: Ms. Kendrick now gets all sorts of attention for what she's wearing on her feet. Seeing this article made me crack up and want to give her a high five for making it to the big time: https://footwearnews.com/2018/fashion/celebrity-style/anna-kendrick-sexy-black-d.... Bravo, Ms. Kendrick! ( )
  kivarson | Jul 24, 2018 |
To Mike,
watch out for the icy patch.
There was a small window in my early childhood when I wanted to be a doctor.

aA collection of humorous autobiographical essays by the Academy Award-nominated actress and star of--Pitch At the ripe age of thirteen, she had already resolved to "keep the crazy inside my head where it belonged. Forever. But here's the thing about crazy: It. Wants. Out. "In Scrappy Little Nobody With her razor-sharp wit, Anna recounts the absurdities she's experienced on her way to and from the heart of pop culture as only she can?from her unusual path to the performing arts (Vanilla Ice and baggy neon pants may have played a role) to her double life as a middle-school student who also starred on Broadway to her initial "dating experiments ("including only liking boys who didn't like her back) to reviewing a binder full of butt doubles to her struggle to live like an adult woman instead of a perpetual "man-child. "Enter Anna's world and follow her rise from "scrappy little nobody "to somebody who dazzles on the stage, the screen, and now the page?with an electric, singular voice, at once familiar and surprising, sharp and sweet, funny and serious (well, not that serious).… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,793,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible