House of the Hanging Jade by Amy M. Reade

by Amy M. Reade

The House of the Hanging Jade by Amy R. Reade
3.5 Stars

From the Book:
A dark presence had invaded the Jorgensens' house. On a spectacular bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, something evil is watching and waiting . . .

Tired of the cold winters in Washington, D.C. and disturbed by her increasingly obsessive boyfriend, Kailani Kanaka savors her move back to her native Big Island of Hawaii. She also finds a new job as personal chef for the Jorgensen family. The gentle caress of the Hawaiian trade winds, the soft sigh of the swaying palm trees, and the stunning blue waters of the Pacific lull her into a sense of calm at "The House of Hanging Jade"--an idyll that quickly fades as it becomes apparent that dark secrets lurk within her new home. Furtive whispers in the night, a terrifying shark attack, and the discovery of a dead body leave Kailani shaken and afraid. But it's the unexpected appearance of her ex-boyfriend, tracking her every move and demanding she return to him, that has her fearing for her life

My Views:
I was an easy book to read and the author told the story plainly and simply. Maybe a bit too simply. You knew exactly what the characters were and how they were going to react to the the present situations. Even though their actions and believes were a tad questionable...the "how could any sane person do something like that" thing...it somehow didn't distract from the telling. Kailani was a chef for the Jorgensen family and throughout the book we learned of the local dishes she created for the dinners,which was very interesting ...especially since she seemed to be able to do that at the drop of a hat:) The ending was a big surprise and not something I had even considered...but probably should have. Not great literature but a very entertaining little book. ( )
  Carol420 | May 12, 2017 |
House of the Hanging Jade is the latest mystery novel by Amy M. Reade. Kailani Kanaka is a chef that is currently living in Washington, D.C. Kailani is from Hawaii and is not enjoying a D.C. winter. Kailani decides to return home to Kona and her family. Geoffrey Corcoran is the owner of the restaurant where she works and her current boyfriend. They have only been dating for a short while, but Kailani knows he is not the one (too clingy). The Kanaka is happy for their daughter to return home and spread the word that she is looking for a position. Kailani receives a call from Dr. Barbara Merriweather-Jorgensen. Barbie (as she prefers to be called) is looking for a personal chef for her family (husband and two children). Kailani will live on the premises and she is asked to introduce more nutritional foods to the family. Kailani soon finds that there are secrets within the Jorgensen house and Kailani does her best to protect the children. Then Dr. Douglas Fitzgibbons, an associate of Barbie’s turns up dead at the house. The number one suspect is Lars Jorgensen, Barbie’s husband (turns out that Douglas was more than a work associate). Then Kailani’s ex-boyfriend turns up on the Big Island. Geoffrey cannot seem to take no for an answer. How far is Geoffrey willing to go to have Kailani as his girlfriend? Who killed Dr. Fitzgibbons? What happens when someone else turns up dead on the estate?

Overall, I enjoyed reading House of the Hanging Jade. I was immediately drawn into the book. I just wish the murder had been harder to solve (I could have told you who the killer was right after they found the body). There is also the expected romance (I could see it coming but I kept hoping the author would not do it). The book is peppered with native phrases (glossary at the end of the book). There is quite a bit of food talk in the book (she is a chef) and gorgeous descriptions of the scenery. Kailani’s reactions to the Geoffrey are odd. Kailani did not tell him to buzz off or go away (at first). She did not want to hurt his feelings (if a guy is being creepy you need to be firm). I give House of the Hanging Jade 3.75 out of 5 stars. The book had a good flow (no slow parts) that kept me reading. I will definitely read more books by Amy Reade.

I received a complimentary copy of House of the Hanging Jade from NetGalley in exchange for an honest evaluation of the novel. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Apr 26, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,652,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible