Before Midnight: A Retelling of Cinderella…

Before Midnight: A Retelling of "Cinderella"

by Cameron Dokey

Series: Once Upon a Time

Well, I guess it depends on if you think a bit of melodrama & purple prose is a good thing, or not, in a 'tween romance. I enjoyed it. I certainly appreciated that the girl took care of things herself and didn't need to be rescued. I also liked that the stepmother & sisters weren't evil. If I were 12 I'd probably reread this a few times, as a sweet treat. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Awwwwwwwww. Cinderella as teen romance. It's all very sweet and predictable, and not just due to familiarity with the source material. A light, fun read, though a bit blah and nothing I'm inclined to pass along to others. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book is a retelling of "Cinderella" in a different version. At first when I started reading this book, it was sort of boring because the story kept on going on and on without any spark. But when Cendrillon encounters her stepmother and her two stepsisters, that's when it gets better. I recommend this book to people who enjoy retellings of stories and who like to read about family relationships, romance and searches for self-indentity. ( )
  soominb | Jan 15, 2011 |
I love fairy tale retellings and have read a couple written by Dokey previously. So far Dokey's writing has been a bit hit and miss for me, but this book was definitely a hit. It was actually one of the better retellings of Cinderella that I have read.

You know the basic story but in this version there are some changes. Cinderella's name is really Cendrillon and her father is alive, but has abandoned her because the death of her mother makes Cendrillon's company too painful. There is another boy whose birthday is the same day as Cendrillon's who grows up with her but has an unknown past. Add to the mix two countries torn by centuries of war, but currently at peace and you have the makings for a great Cinderella retelling.

I loved that Dokey approached this retelling a bit differently, in some ways she stuck truer to the Brothers Grimm version than the Disney version. In someways she made everything a bit more sweet too. Most of the story focuses on the power of love and wishes. When Cendrillon wishes for sisters and a mother to love, her wish comes true but not in the way she imagined. Her stepsisters and stepmother aren't as horrible as they are in some renditions, and the ways they are horrible in are because their own pain.

There are a lot of twists to the plot, making it more interesting than the traditional Cinderella story. All the characters involved are paired up happily in the end too, which while unlikely and a bit goofy, is also very fairy tale like and sweet.

Overall an excellent retelling of Cinderella. Very sweet and loving characters, a very fairy tale like ending. I loved that the plot was complicated by sympathetic characters and had some additional politics thrown in. The writing is beautiful and descriptive. If you like fairy tale retellings I can recommend this as a good read. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 27, 2010 |
This is a fairly typical Cinderella story. Cendrillion's birth caused her mother's death, and therefore her father has never forgiven her. He then becomes an agent of the evil queen because he also blames the king, whose service he was in at the time, for his wife's death. Delivering an unamed baby to the house, he then leaves for years. Eventually, her father marries, but one major difference from most Cinderella stories, is that the step mother is not wicked. In the end, the strange baby ends up being the crown prince, and Cendrillion marries his twin brother and all live happily ever after. This is a good story for those who like the Cinderella tale. The loss of the mother is heavily mourned, so it could either be a help to somebody who has lost his or her mother, or a caution.

Suggested reading level: 8th grade plus ( )
  beccabowmeow | Nov 4, 2009 |

Cameron Dokeyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, Mahlon F.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Delaney
What do you know about yourself?

Etienne de Brabant is brokenhearted. His wife has died in childbirth, leaving him alone with an infant daughter he cannot bear to name. But before he abandons her for king and court, he brings a second child to be raised alongside her, a boy whose identity he does not reveal.
The girl, La Cendrillon, and the boy, Raoul, pass sixteen years in the servants' care until one day a very fine lady arrives with her two daughters. The lady has married La Cendrillon's father, and her arrival changes their lives.

A retelling of the tale about a girl whose father remarries and the effects that her stepmother has on the family.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible