dismiss

The Hello, Goodbye Window (2005)

by Norton Juster, Chris Raschka (Illustrator)

A little girl describes the magic kitchen window in her grandparents' home.

The kitchen window at Nanna and Poppy's house is, for one little girl, a magic gateway. Everything important happens near it, through it, or beyond it. Told in her voice, her story is both a voyage of discovery and a celebration of the commonplace wonders that define childhood.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jul 4, 2020 |
Well deserving of a Caldecott Medal, this book resonated with my memories of sitting in my grandmother's parlor, looking out the window to the side porch where long, tall orange day lilly flowers bloomed.

In this book a little girl shares her happiness at being with her grandmother and grandfather. There are so many memories, of cooking, silly faces, water spraying from the hose.

This is a marvelous book! ( )
  Whisper1 | Jun 13, 2020 |
teaching points: students can connect to spending time with grandparents, see diversity, the beauty of hellos and goodbyes
genre: fiction ( )
  jarnswald | May 21, 2020 |
I really enjoyed reading The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster and Chris Raschka. It won a Caldecott Honor Medal, which shows that it’s a great book! The aspect I love most about this book are the illustrations. They are so colorful and abstract, which gives so much depth to the book. Despite them being abstract, they still are clear enough to convey what the text is saying and easy to follow along. I also love the characterization and the connections in the book. The young child was seeing what her Nanna and Poppy were like and wanted to grow up and be just like them. It was a very heartwarming story and very fun to read. I really enjoyed reading The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster and Chris Raschka. ( )
  jflaks1 | May 3, 2020 |
This book gave a great overview of a healthy relationship between a grandchild and her grandparents. Visiting Nanna and Poppa was magical since she was able to see the from the kitchen window and use her great imagination.It is a heartwarming story since it brings back many of my personal childhood memories. Most of us had the best time with our grandparents since they did not question things, but they played along. ( )
  rdelarca | Jan 31, 2020 |
PreS-Gr 1-The window in Nanna and Poppy's kitchen is no ordinary window-it is the place where love and magic happens. It's where the girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye. The first-person text is both simple and sophisticated, conjuring a perfectly child-centered world. Sentences such as "When I get tired I come in and take my nap and nothing happens until I get up" typify the girl's happy, imaginative world. While the language is bouncy and fun, it is the visual interpretation of this sweet story that sings. Using a bright rainbow palette of saturated color, Raschka's impressionistic, mixed-media illustrations portray a loving, mixed-race family. The artwork is at once lively and energetic, without crowding the story or the words on the page; the simple lines and squiggles of color suggest a child's own drawings, but this is the art of a masterful hand. Perfect for lap-sharing, this book will find favor with children and adults alike.-Angela J. Reynolds, Washington County Cooperative Library Services, Hillsboro, OR Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Angela J. Reynolds (Jul 22, 2009)

Juster (The Phantom Tollbooth) crafts a cozy portrait of a grandchild and her grandparents in this endearing book, illustrated in paintbox colors by Raschka (Be Boy Buzz). A curly haired girl-who dances with wiggly energy in Raschka's lush paintings-describes playful visits to her Nanna and Poppy, whose kitchen window provides the perfect venue to say hello and goodbye. "You can climb up on the flower barrel and tap," she says, "then duck down and they won't know who did it." Her grandparents welcome her into a sunlit, spacious kitchen filled with plants, where she doodles and listens to Poppy play "Oh, Susannah" on the harmonica. At night, the "Hello, Goodbye Window" functions as a mirror, and the girl jokes about being outside looking in: "Poppy says, `What are you doing out there? You come right in and have your dinner.' And I say, `But I'm here with you, Poppy,' and then he looks at me in his funny way." Juster departs from the over-the-top punning of his earlier works to create a gently humorous account of a family's conversations and games, all centered on the special window. Raschka warms the pages with glowing yellow, emerald, sapphire and golden brown, and he pictures the garden and trees in emphatic midsummer greens. The characters smile at one another with a doting twinkle in their eyes, and grandparents especially will be charmed by this relaxed account of how a child's visit occasions everyday magic. Ages 2-up. (Apr.) Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Informatin (Apr 1, 2005)

A young girl takes us to her Nanna and Poppy's house to see a very special window. Most of the time her Nanna and Poppy are there in the kitchen so she can tap on the window, then hide, or they can wave at her when she arrives. We share her joy in the fun she has with Poppy's harmonica playing, watching reflections in the window at supper, saying goodnight to the stars with Nanna, looking through the window at the garden, playing outside. Sometimes through the window she sees people; sometimes her imagination fills it with other more amazing sights. Saying goodbye through the window when Mommy and Daddy pick her up is sad, but she looks forward to having her own "Hello, Goodbye Window" some day. Raschka turns the pages into scenes of innocent joy. His paints barely suggest objects as he applies intuitive areas of color, he then uses black lines here and there to define a face, a bicycle, a spouting hose. The personalities of the grandparents and their loving interactions with the narrator make this an engaging tale, while the artist's imagination forms something special from a bit of childhood. 2005, Michael Di Capua Books/Hyperion Books for Children, Ages 3 to 6.
added by sriches | editChildren's Review, Ken and Sylvia Marantz

Norton Justerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raschka, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Tori -- N.J.
For Eliana -- C.R.
Nanna and Poppy live in a big house in the middle of town.

Curriculum Connection:  1st Grade Social Studies Standard: 1. History
Concepts and skills students master:2. Family and cultural traditions in the United States in the pasta. Identify similarities and differences between themselves and others (DOK 1-2)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,882,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible