The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster

The Hello, Goodbye Window (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Norton Juster

Title:The Hello, Goodbye Window
Authors:Norton Juster
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages

The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster (2005)

This realistic fiction book talks about how a boy visits his grandparents, and how they have a window in there kitchen that is the first thing he sees. He talks about the different things he can see out the window, and the different things they do inside the house. At the end, his parents pick him up, and he can see them coming down the long road. Then, as they are leaving, he can see his grandparents in the window waving goodbye. ( )
  BethWal94 | Nov 25, 2015 |
A little girl loves visiting her grandparents. The little girl sees the window as special, magical that's full of opportunities. She can tap on the window, put her face against it, see visitors approaching etc... Although I understand the concept, I do not like the illustrations. They seem to be to abstract. ( )
  Marrisha9 | Nov 16, 2015 |
Summary of Book:
This book is about a little girl who goes and visits her grandparents. She talks about this window that you can do a lot of things at. For example: look outside, see your reflection, wave hello, or play pick-a-boo with your grandmother. At the end of the book the girl goes back home with her parents after spending time with her grandparents, and thinks about one day she might have a hello, goodbye window.

Personal Reaction:
This was the first time for me reading this book. It was a cute little book. It reminds me when I was little and I went to go visit my grandparents.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. You can read this book to the kids then do a craft to make for the student’s grandparents or other family members.
2. You could have the students talk about their families and the stories they might have with their grandparents.
  c_shaffer | Oct 27, 2015 |
The Hello, Goodbye Window is a contemporary realistic fiction picture book that features many bright, colorful, and happy illustrations. We see the love and adoration the young girl has for her grandparents, Nana and Poppy. Readers are able to see the genuine and childlike happiness because the illustration are drawn as if they were done by a young child. It relates to the narrator’s perspective as a young girl. For example, creativity is shown through the illustrator not coloring within in the lines and being confined by them. The illustrator also did not always choose traditional colors in the illustrations. For example, her grandmother’s hair is green in one of the illustrations, which is something a child would definitely do. The text and illustrations really come together to show the readers what a loving relationship the narrator has with her family. I really like how the characters make up an interracial family. I think diverse families are something that needs to be featured more often in children’s literature, and we only know the family is interracial through the artwork. That makes it so much more natural, and attention is not drawn to it that way. The main character and her loving relationships with her family members is what is most important, which is the big message of the story. ( )
  VictoriaStagg | Oct 22, 2015 |
35 months - Sometimes we over look something so important to our lives such as the big kitchen window from where everything comes and goes and is observed. An original idea but maybe not so fantastic that I'd have to own it. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
PreS-Gr 1-The window in Nanna and Poppy's kitchen is no ordinary window-it is the place where love and magic happens. It's where the girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye. The first-person text is both simple and sophisticated, conjuring a perfectly child-centered world. Sentences such as "When I get tired I come in and take my nap and nothing happens until I get up" typify the girl's happy, imaginative world. While the language is bouncy and fun, it is the visual interpretation of this sweet story that sings. Using a bright rainbow palette of saturated color, Raschka's impressionistic, mixed-media illustrations portray a loving, mixed-race family. The artwork is at once lively and energetic, without crowding the story or the words on the page; the simple lines and squiggles of color suggest a child's own drawings, but this is the art of a masterful hand. Perfect for lap-sharing, this book will find favor with children and adults alike.-Angela J. Reynolds, Washington County Cooperative Library Services, Hillsboro, OR Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Angela J. Reynolds (Jul 22, 2009)
Juster (The Phantom Tollbooth) crafts a cozy portrait of a grandchild and her grandparents in this endearing book, illustrated in paintbox colors by Raschka (Be Boy Buzz). A curly haired girl-who dances with wiggly energy in Raschka's lush paintings-describes playful visits to her Nanna and Poppy, whose kitchen window provides the perfect venue to say hello and goodbye. "You can climb up on the flower barrel and tap," she says, "then duck down and they won't know who did it." Her grandparents welcome her into a sunlit, spacious kitchen filled with plants, where she doodles and listens to Poppy play "Oh, Susannah" on the harmonica. At night, the "Hello, Goodbye Window" functions as a mirror, and the girl jokes about being outside looking in: "Poppy says, `What are you doing out there? You come right in and have your dinner.' And I say, `But I'm here with you, Poppy,' and then he looks at me in his funny way." Juster departs from the over-the-top punning of his earlier works to create a gently humorous account of a family's conversations and games, all centered on the special window. Raschka warms the pages with glowing yellow, emerald, sapphire and golden brown, and he pictures the garden and trees in emphatic midsummer greens. The characters smile at one another with a doting twinkle in their eyes, and grandparents especially will be charmed by this relaxed account of how a child's visit occasions everyday magic. Ages 2-up. (Apr.) Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Informatin (Apr 1, 2005)
A young girl takes us to her Nanna and Poppy's house to see a very special window. Most of the time her Nanna and Poppy are there in the kitchen so she can tap on the window, then hide, or they can wave at her when she arrives. We share her joy in the fun she has with Poppy's harmonica playing, watching reflections in the window at supper, saying goodnight to the stars with Nanna, looking through the window at the garden, playing outside. Sometimes through the window she sees people; sometimes her imagination fills it with other more amazing sights. Saying goodbye through the window when Mommy and Daddy pick her up is sad, but she looks forward to having her own "Hello, Goodbye Window" some day. Raschka turns the pages into scenes of innocent joy. His paints barely suggest objects as he applies intuitive areas of color, he then uses black lines here and there to define a face, a bicycle, a spouting hose. The personalities of the grandparents and their loving interactions with the narrator make this an engaging tale, while the artist's imagination forms something special from a bit of childhood. 2005, Michael Di Capua Books/Hyperion Books for Children, Ages 3 to 6.
added by sriches | editChildren's Review, Ken and Sylvia Marantz

Norton Justerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raschka, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Tori -- N.J.
For Eliana -- C.R.
Nanna and Poppy live in a big house in the middle of town.

Curriculum Connection:  1st Grade Social Studies Standard: 1. History
Concepts and skills students master:2. Family and cultural traditions in the United States in the pasta. Identify similarities and differences between themselves and others (DOK 1-2)

This is a love song devoted to that special relationship between grandparents and grandchild. The kitchen window at Nanna and Poppy's house is, for one little girl, a magic gateway. Everything important happens near it, through it, or beyond it. Told in her voice, her story is both a voyage of discovery and a celebration of the commonplace wonders that define childhood, expressed as a joyful fusion of text with evocative and exuberant illustrations.The world for this little girl will soon grow larger and more complex, but never more enchanting or deeply felt.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

Looking through the kitchen window, a little girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible