SantaThing sign up ends in 3:02 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster

The Hello, Goodbye Window (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Norton Juster

Member:kingjon
Title:The Hello, Goodbye Window
Authors:Norton Juster
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Tags:want-to-read

The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster (2005)

Recently added bycesdemo, jowan82

English (331)  English (Middle) (1)  English (332)
A cute and relatable story. This one is easy for adults and children to connect with. This would be good to read for a random read aloud or as partners so that it can be open for discussion. ( )
  SydnieM | Dec 2, 2016 |
discusses a little boy and his family using a window in their house to say hello and goodbye to each other.
great for children that are having a hard time saying goodbye to their parents.
1 book
  TUCC | Nov 18, 2016 |
"The Hello, Goodbye Window" is about a girl who visits her grandparents. The illustrations are what makes this book so enjoyable. The illustrator uses bright and dark colors to contrast different scenes of the story, such as nighttime, when they are gazing at the stars. The facial expressions the illustrator gives the characters throughout the book also makes this book more realistic. The descriptive language the author uses is also what makes this book enjoyable. "Just before I go to bed, Nanna turns of all the lights and we stand by the window and say goodbye to stars." Even if there were no illustrations, the reader would still be able to envision the characters gazing at the stars. Another example of descriptive language is "Sometimes Poppy says in a real loud voice, 'Hello, world! What have you got for us today?' Nobody ever answers but he doesn't care." This gives the reader a good sense of who grandpa is. The big idea of this story is the importance of family and perspective. ( )
  BlairThompson | Oct 31, 2016 |
Summary
Contemporary Fiction
The book is about a young girl who looks into the mirror of her grandparents’ house, it opens a magical gateway into another world. It is filled with song and laugher dedicated to her grandparents. This is a book that defines the joys of childhood and love for grandma and grandpa. The world for this little girl will soon grow larger and more complex, but never more enchanting or deeply felt. This is a book that interracial families can surly benefit from.

Personal Reaction:
I can related to this young girl love for her grandparents. As a child I love going to Shreveport La to see my grandparents just to play in the woods all day. I would dream of being a man of the woods, me and a log cabin just singing, fishing and hunting all day. If I had this book I would have read this to my girls, to understanding both nationalities of their grandparents.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.Have parents of different nationalities come in and read the book to the class.
2.Ask your kids do they know about their classmate culture.
3.Put on a play to explain the class or school diversity. ( )
  cedric_edwards | Oct 14, 2016 |
It's no wonder this book is a Caldecott Award Winning book! The illustrations used to portray this little girls feelings about the Hello Goodbye Window. She loves being able to look out the window and see new guests and use her imagination for pretend guests like the queen and a magic dragon. The memories that she has looking out this tiny kitchen window at her Nanna and Poppa's home is so heartfelt and relatable. We all have something in our homes that reminds us of our family and good times. This book gets children thinking what is meaningful to them in their homes, or in their grandparents homes. ( )
  NicoleHorney | Sep 20, 2016 |
PreS-Gr 1-The window in Nanna and Poppy's kitchen is no ordinary window-it is the place where love and magic happens. It's where the girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye. The first-person text is both simple and sophisticated, conjuring a perfectly child-centered world. Sentences such as "When I get tired I come in and take my nap and nothing happens until I get up" typify the girl's happy, imaginative world. While the language is bouncy and fun, it is the visual interpretation of this sweet story that sings. Using a bright rainbow palette of saturated color, Raschka's impressionistic, mixed-media illustrations portray a loving, mixed-race family. The artwork is at once lively and energetic, without crowding the story or the words on the page; the simple lines and squiggles of color suggest a child's own drawings, but this is the art of a masterful hand. Perfect for lap-sharing, this book will find favor with children and adults alike.-Angela J. Reynolds, Washington County Cooperative Library Services, Hillsboro, OR Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Angela J. Reynolds (Jul 22, 2009)

Juster (The Phantom Tollbooth) crafts a cozy portrait of a grandchild and her grandparents in this endearing book, illustrated in paintbox colors by Raschka (Be Boy Buzz). A curly haired girl-who dances with wiggly energy in Raschka's lush paintings-describes playful visits to her Nanna and Poppy, whose kitchen window provides the perfect venue to say hello and goodbye. "You can climb up on the flower barrel and tap," she says, "then duck down and they won't know who did it." Her grandparents welcome her into a sunlit, spacious kitchen filled with plants, where she doodles and listens to Poppy play "Oh, Susannah" on the harmonica. At night, the "Hello, Goodbye Window" functions as a mirror, and the girl jokes about being outside looking in: "Poppy says, `What are you doing out there? You come right in and have your dinner.' And I say, `But I'm here with you, Poppy,' and then he looks at me in his funny way." Juster departs from the over-the-top punning of his earlier works to create a gently humorous account of a family's conversations and games, all centered on the special window. Raschka warms the pages with glowing yellow, emerald, sapphire and golden brown, and he pictures the garden and trees in emphatic midsummer greens. The characters smile at one another with a doting twinkle in their eyes, and grandparents especially will be charmed by this relaxed account of how a child's visit occasions everyday magic. Ages 2-up. (Apr.) Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Informatin (Apr 1, 2005)

A young girl takes us to her Nanna and Poppy's house to see a very special window. Most of the time her Nanna and Poppy are there in the kitchen so she can tap on the window, then hide, or they can wave at her when she arrives. We share her joy in the fun she has with Poppy's harmonica playing, watching reflections in the window at supper, saying goodnight to the stars with Nanna, looking through the window at the garden, playing outside. Sometimes through the window she sees people; sometimes her imagination fills it with other more amazing sights. Saying goodbye through the window when Mommy and Daddy pick her up is sad, but she looks forward to having her own "Hello, Goodbye Window" some day. Raschka turns the pages into scenes of innocent joy. His paints barely suggest objects as he applies intuitive areas of color, he then uses black lines here and there to define a face, a bicycle, a spouting hose. The personalities of the grandparents and their loving interactions with the narrator make this an engaging tale, while the artist's imagination forms something special from a bit of childhood. 2005, Michael Di Capua Books/Hyperion Books for Children, Ages 3 to 6.
added by sriches | editChildren's Review, Ken and Sylvia Marantz

Norton Justerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Raschka, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Tori -- N.J.
For Eliana -- C.R.
Nanna and Poppy live in a big house in the middle of town.

Curriculum Connection:  1st Grade Social Studies Standard: 1. History
Concepts and skills students master:2. Family and cultural traditions in the United States in the pasta. Identify similarities and differences between themselves and others (DOK 1-2)

This is a love song devoted to that special relationship between grandparents and grandchild. The kitchen window at Nanna and Poppy's house is, for one little girl, a magic gateway. Everything important happens near it, through it, or beyond it. Told in her voice, her story is both a voyage of discovery and a celebration of the commonplace wonders that define childhood, expressed as a joyful fusion of text with evocative and exuberant illustrations.The world for this little girl will soon grow larger and more complex, but never more enchanting or deeply felt.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

Looking through the kitchen window, a little girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,650,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible