The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster

The Hello, Goodbye Window (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Norton Juster

Member:kingjon
Title:The Hello, Goodbye Window
Authors:Norton Juster
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Tags:want-to-read

The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster (2005)

This realistic fiction is told form the perspective of a little girl who uses the window to connect with her grandparents. The window represents many things to the little girl, and the story is a love story between the grandparents and the girl and all of the adventures they have involving the window. Some of the adventures are more simple, such as using the window to say hello and goodbye, but other things happen with the girl and her grandparents. The girl eats oatmeal with her grandpa, and works in the garden. ( )
  sommerkirk | Apr 20, 2015 |
This Caldecott award winning picture book is an excellent book that shows the meaning of family. When a young child goes to visit her grandparents, she is fascinated with this one window. This window allows anyone who is passing by to experience what is going on inside the house. The grandparents allow the child to see what is going on inside of the house even though the child is outside. We can gather from the story that the child has a strong loving attachment towards her grandparents. The bitter sweet ending shows how much love the family has to spread around. I would read this book to a group of first graders because I feel as though they would have more experience going to see their grandparents who live in the country. ( )
  mbabst | Apr 16, 2015 |
The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster is a descriptive picture book about family. I thoroughly enjoyed this book for various reasons. For instance, the illustrations are extremely detailed. My favorite picture is of her grandparent’s house at night; the mixture of dark colors emphasizes the night sky. What I found interesting was that the book is in first person from the child’s perspective, and the illustrations are drawn from a child-like perspective. The stars and trees aren’t drawn to perfection; they are basic drawings with beautiful pastel shades of dark blue, green, pink, yellow and dark purple. Each illustration is drawn the exact same way to help reiterate that the young girl is telling the story. I also believe that the characters are well developed and believable. The nicknames for the grandparents are Nanna and Poppy, which is relatable for children who also nickname their grandparents. Also, the activities that they do together mirrors what other children do with their grandparents. For example, Nanna and her granddaughter make breakfast together, and sometimes they relax in the garden together. Although it is not explicitly said in the language, the family is multiracial. I love that the text doesn’t address their race because it normalizes families without talking about it. I think it’s important for children to see these differences and recognize that most families are the same regardless of race. ( )
  ShakelaWilliams | Apr 6, 2015 |
The Hello, Goodbye Window was a cute story that I enjoyed because of its playfulness and that it is a sweet story about a grandchild and her grandparents and their time together. I liked this story because it was from the perspective the little girl in the story so it gives the story more personality. For example, the little girl was talking about how at night the window turned into a mirror because you could see yourself in the reflection and she says your Poppy says, “what are you doing out there” and she says, “but I’m here with you, Poppy.” I thought this piece of dialogue added personality to the characters because you could tell Poppy was joking with her and she finds that as a special moment because she mentioned it. I also liked how the illustrations were drawn to make it look like the little girl may have drawn it. As the little girl is telling the story, the illustrations make it seem like she is drawing what she is discussing. For example, she was talking about her grandfather playing the harmonica and the illustration was her watching her Poppy, who was leaning back in a chair playing the harmonica. The illustrations also tell a part of the story that was not in the actual text, which was that the family was interracial family. Not putting it into the text is good because it allows it to be normal as opposed having to be mentioned as if it is not normal. The main idea of this story is all about family, and how this little girl cherishes time with her grandparents and the hello, goodbye window is just something important to her and her family. ( )
  MManzo2 | Apr 6, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a very cute and likable children's book. I liked this book for a number of reasons. First, the pictures really draw the reader in. Although the illustrations are not the most professional looking, the vibrant colors and child-like drawing qualities catch readers' eyes. The simple illustration style that resembles coloring of a child definitely fits the written text. I also enjoyed the language of the story. Some reader's might say that it is too simple, but it genuinely makes the story sound like it was written by a child with its simple wording and clear messages. For example, "since the window is in the kitchen [...] you can press your face against the glass and frighten them. If they're not in the kitchen, you can't do any of those things and you have to wait until next time." This sentence is written from a child's perspective because the wording is so simple and obvious to adults. However, this language choice is appealing to young readers. Lastly, I loved the characters in the book. The main character was so inquisitive and playful, like a young child would be and the grandparents are relatable figures for many readers. I also liked that the grandparents seemed as if they were of different skin tones, which I thought was kind of a neat touch. The actions of the characters, such as making breakfast or riding a bike, were realistic and relatable to all readers. Overall, I thought this book was enjoyable to read and I loved the overall message that there is so much joy in spending time with relatives. The window also acts as a great metaphor for life: sometimes you get to say hello and at other times you have to say goodbye. ( )
  mpotts1 | Apr 4, 2015 |
PreS-Gr 1-The window in Nanna and Poppy's kitchen is no ordinary window-it is the place where love and magic happens. It's where the girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye. The first-person text is both simple and sophisticated, conjuring a perfectly child-centered world. Sentences such as "When I get tired I come in and take my nap and nothing happens until I get up" typify the girl's happy, imaginative world. While the language is bouncy and fun, it is the visual interpretation of this sweet story that sings. Using a bright rainbow palette of saturated color, Raschka's impressionistic, mixed-media illustrations portray a loving, mixed-race family. The artwork is at once lively and energetic, without crowding the story or the words on the page; the simple lines and squiggles of color suggest a child's own drawings, but this is the art of a masterful hand. Perfect for lap-sharing, this book will find favor with children and adults alike.-Angela J. Reynolds, Washington County Cooperative Library Services, Hillsboro, OR Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Angela J. Reynolds (Jul 22, 2009)

Juster (The Phantom Tollbooth) crafts a cozy portrait of a grandchild and her grandparents in this endearing book, illustrated in paintbox colors by Raschka (Be Boy Buzz). A curly haired girl-who dances with wiggly energy in Raschka's lush paintings-describes playful visits to her Nanna and Poppy, whose kitchen window provides the perfect venue to say hello and goodbye. "You can climb up on the flower barrel and tap," she says, "then duck down and they won't know who did it." Her grandparents welcome her into a sunlit, spacious kitchen filled with plants, where she doodles and listens to Poppy play "Oh, Susannah" on the harmonica. At night, the "Hello, Goodbye Window" functions as a mirror, and the girl jokes about being outside looking in: "Poppy says, `What are you doing out there? You come right in and have your dinner.' And I say, `But I'm here with you, Poppy,' and then he looks at me in his funny way." Juster departs from the over-the-top punning of his earlier works to create a gently humorous account of a family's conversations and games, all centered on the special window. Raschka warms the pages with glowing yellow, emerald, sapphire and golden brown, and he pictures the garden and trees in emphatic midsummer greens. The characters smile at one another with a doting twinkle in their eyes, and grandparents especially will be charmed by this relaxed account of how a child's visit occasions everyday magic. Ages 2-up. (Apr.) Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Informatin (Apr 1, 2005)

A young girl takes us to her Nanna and Poppy's house to see a very special window. Most of the time her Nanna and Poppy are there in the kitchen so she can tap on the window, then hide, or they can wave at her when she arrives. We share her joy in the fun she has with Poppy's harmonica playing, watching reflections in the window at supper, saying goodnight to the stars with Nanna, looking through the window at the garden, playing outside. Sometimes through the window she sees people; sometimes her imagination fills it with other more amazing sights. Saying goodbye through the window when Mommy and Daddy pick her up is sad, but she looks forward to having her own "Hello, Goodbye Window" some day. Raschka turns the pages into scenes of innocent joy. His paints barely suggest objects as he applies intuitive areas of color, he then uses black lines here and there to define a face, a bicycle, a spouting hose. The personalities of the grandparents and their loving interactions with the narrator make this an engaging tale, while the artist's imagination forms something special from a bit of childhood. 2005, Michael Di Capua Books/Hyperion Books for Children, Ages 3 to 6.
added by sriches | editChildren's Review, Ken and Sylvia Marantz

Norton Justerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raschka, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Tori -- N.J.
For Eliana -- C.R.
Nanna and Poppy live in a big house in the middle of town.

Curriculum Connection:  1st Grade Social Studies Standard: 1. History
Concepts and skills students master:2. Family and cultural traditions in the United States in the pasta. Identify similarities and differences between themselves and others (DOK 1-2)

This is a love song devoted to that special relationship between grandparents and grandchild. The kitchen window at Nanna and Poppy's house is, for one little girl, a magic gateway. Everything important happens near it, through it, or beyond it. Told in her voice, her story is both a voyage of discovery and a celebration of the commonplace wonders that define childhood, expressed as a joyful fusion of text with evocative and exuberant illustrations.The world for this little girl will soon grow larger and more complex, but never more enchanting or deeply felt.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:24 -0400)

Looking through the kitchen window, a little girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,286,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible