The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster

The Hello, Goodbye Window (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Norton Juster

Member:kingjon
Title:The Hello, Goodbye Window
Authors:Norton Juster
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Tags:want-to-read

The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster (2005)

Summary:
Is a little girl who goes to visit her grandparents. The kitchen window is in the center of everything, its the perfect spot to always say hello and goodbye. The little girls imagaination plays in important role in the kitchen. Loving relationship between the granddaughter and grandparents.

Personal Reaction:
When I was younger I loved to go to my grandmothers house and play in this huge tree; I would pretend that I was a queen and my brothers were the slaves. This book brought back very emotional feelings from when I was younger.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. We could discuss what the kids do when they go to there grandparents.
2. Cut out pieces of paper to make a window then glue the pieces. ( )
  KourtneyPhillips | Feb 10, 2016 |
"The Hello, Goodbye Window" is about the unique bond between grandparents and grandchildren. At the narrator's grandparents' house, there is a big kitchen window that looks out onto their front yard. The narrator and her grandparents spend many days and nights in this window, looking out into the world, having imaginary adventures, and enjoying each other's company. She calls it the "hello, goodbye window" because she can always see her grandparents in the window either waving hello or wishing her goodbye. Different and brightly colored, painted illustrations showcase the fun and the love that the narrator experiences at her grandparents house and really help the reader experience the joy that the family has together. It is, all around, a great book. ( )
  tmoore3 | Feb 4, 2016 |
This author tells us the story of a little girl and her grandparents. When she spends time with them she tells us how her imagination and creativity is used to tell us the daily routines that crosses path with the kitchen window. The window is in the kitchen and is primary meeting place for the family and the window is important with keeping in touch with rest of the world as they pass to and from that window.
  lataubrey | Feb 4, 2016 |
Visiting her Nanna and Poppy a little girl explains why she loves their house. Mainly it's because of the hello, goodbye window where you can sit and watch all sorts of people coming to the house. It explains what she does while staying with her grandparents and how she feels leaving to go home. My favorite part of this book is the line, "You can be happy and sad at the same time, you know. It just happens that way sometimes." This could be used to open a discussion in class about things we feel sad and happy about; that can be really hard to handle if you've never experience it before. The illustrations in this book are very simple and child like, with scribbles and flying colors everywhere, there is a lot to look at and see.
GENRE: Fantasy
1. Daily activities
2. Conflicting feelings ( )
  Jazmyn96 | Jan 30, 2016 |
The Hello, Goodbye Window is a sweet story told from the viewpoint of a little girl about her time spent at her grandparent's house and the magic window in their kitchen. I loved the illustration style a lot, which made it almost seem as if the little girl had illustrated it herself. This book reminded me of my own childhood spent at my grandparent's house and how much I miss them. ( )
  NRedler | Jan 27, 2016 |
PreS-Gr 1-The window in Nanna and Poppy's kitchen is no ordinary window-it is the place where love and magic happens. It's where the girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye. The first-person text is both simple and sophisticated, conjuring a perfectly child-centered world. Sentences such as "When I get tired I come in and take my nap and nothing happens until I get up" typify the girl's happy, imaginative world. While the language is bouncy and fun, it is the visual interpretation of this sweet story that sings. Using a bright rainbow palette of saturated color, Raschka's impressionistic, mixed-media illustrations portray a loving, mixed-race family. The artwork is at once lively and energetic, without crowding the story or the words on the page; the simple lines and squiggles of color suggest a child's own drawings, but this is the art of a masterful hand. Perfect for lap-sharing, this book will find favor with children and adults alike.-Angela J. Reynolds, Washington County Cooperative Library Services, Hillsboro, OR Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Angela J. Reynolds (Jul 22, 2009)

Juster (The Phantom Tollbooth) crafts a cozy portrait of a grandchild and her grandparents in this endearing book, illustrated in paintbox colors by Raschka (Be Boy Buzz). A curly haired girl-who dances with wiggly energy in Raschka's lush paintings-describes playful visits to her Nanna and Poppy, whose kitchen window provides the perfect venue to say hello and goodbye. "You can climb up on the flower barrel and tap," she says, "then duck down and they won't know who did it." Her grandparents welcome her into a sunlit, spacious kitchen filled with plants, where she doodles and listens to Poppy play "Oh, Susannah" on the harmonica. At night, the "Hello, Goodbye Window" functions as a mirror, and the girl jokes about being outside looking in: "Poppy says, `What are you doing out there? You come right in and have your dinner.' And I say, `But I'm here with you, Poppy,' and then he looks at me in his funny way." Juster departs from the over-the-top punning of his earlier works to create a gently humorous account of a family's conversations and games, all centered on the special window. Raschka warms the pages with glowing yellow, emerald, sapphire and golden brown, and he pictures the garden and trees in emphatic midsummer greens. The characters smile at one another with a doting twinkle in their eyes, and grandparents especially will be charmed by this relaxed account of how a child's visit occasions everyday magic. Ages 2-up. (Apr.) Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Informatin (Apr 1, 2005)

A young girl takes us to her Nanna and Poppy's house to see a very special window. Most of the time her Nanna and Poppy are there in the kitchen so she can tap on the window, then hide, or they can wave at her when she arrives. We share her joy in the fun she has with Poppy's harmonica playing, watching reflections in the window at supper, saying goodnight to the stars with Nanna, looking through the window at the garden, playing outside. Sometimes through the window she sees people; sometimes her imagination fills it with other more amazing sights. Saying goodbye through the window when Mommy and Daddy pick her up is sad, but she looks forward to having her own "Hello, Goodbye Window" some day. Raschka turns the pages into scenes of innocent joy. His paints barely suggest objects as he applies intuitive areas of color, he then uses black lines here and there to define a face, a bicycle, a spouting hose. The personalities of the grandparents and their loving interactions with the narrator make this an engaging tale, while the artist's imagination forms something special from a bit of childhood. 2005, Michael Di Capua Books/Hyperion Books for Children, Ages 3 to 6.
added by sriches | editChildren's Review, Ken and Sylvia Marantz

Norton Justerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raschka, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Tori -- N.J.
For Eliana -- C.R.
Nanna and Poppy live in a big house in the middle of town.

Curriculum Connection:  1st Grade Social Studies Standard: 1. History
Concepts and skills students master:2. Family and cultural traditions in the United States in the pasta. Identify similarities and differences between themselves and others (DOK 1-2)

This is a love song devoted to that special relationship between grandparents and grandchild. The kitchen window at Nanna and Poppy's house is, for one little girl, a magic gateway. Everything important happens near it, through it, or beyond it. Told in her voice, her story is both a voyage of discovery and a celebration of the commonplace wonders that define childhood, expressed as a joyful fusion of text with evocative and exuberant illustrations.The world for this little girl will soon grow larger and more complex, but never more enchanting or deeply felt.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

Looking through the kitchen window, a little girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,198,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible