The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster

The Hello, Goodbye Window (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Norton Juster

Member:kingjon
Title:The Hello, Goodbye Window
Authors:Norton Juster
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Tags:want-to-read

The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster (2005)

PIC, grandparents, visits
  prichter | Aug 3, 2015 |
The book The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster and illustrated by Chris Raschka is a story of a little girl who sees all sorts of wonderful things through the outside looking in and from the inside looking out of her bi-racial grandparents front window. The little girl tells us about all the wonderful things she sees from the Hello, Goodbye window. She even talks about being sad to leave even though she's happy to go home with her parents.

The artwork is made with watercolor, pen and crayon and is drawn like a young child might draw pictures. It depicts the biracial couple and the child with different skin tones, but the text never discusses the differences. I really like this book because it shows how important a grandparents relationship can be. It reminds us to see the world from a child's eyes.

Classroom extension:
1. Ask children to draw pictures of their families and if they want to, include their grandparents.
2. Help the children make their own Hello, Goodbye window with crafts. I looked up faux windows on pinterest. (cellophane and wax paper for stained glass, or wax paper and crayon) Children could draw what they would see on the other side.
3. Ask children for input about how their own families might have people with different colors of skin and discuss cultural differences of different types of cultures. ( )
  krich1974 | Jul 20, 2015 |
Summary: the girl visits her grandparents often. Each time she does, she sees them through the window. They're always doing fun things and making her smile no matter if it is hello or goodbye .

Personal reaction: I think this book is about appreciating the things we don't always notice such as the window at our grandparents house which really defines the girl in the book's visit. The window is the first thing she sees and the last. It is a symbol of happiness for her.

Extension ideas: discuss what we do at our grandparent's houses. Draw a window and put all the things we love in it. ( )
  Te904669 | Jul 5, 2015 |
Summary:

This book is about a little girl who goes to visit her grandparents. Her grandparents’ house has a special window; it’s called the hello, good bye window. This special window is located in the kitchen, which you have to pass when you enter, and leave the house, that’s why it’s called the hello, goodbye window. You can see everything that goes on outside from the inside of the window, and you can see everything going on in the kitchen from the outside of the window. The little girl’s favorite thing about the window is she gets to see her Nanna and Poppy’s goofy faces before she even enters the house, and she gets to blow them kisses and wave goodbye to them when she leaves.

Personal Reflection:

My favorite thing about this book was the illustrations. They were not illustrations you will see in every day children’s books, they were different, unique, and abstract, which I really enjoyed. I can relate to this book because my grandma had a window in her kitchen facing the backyard, and she would wave and make goofy faces at us when we played outside in the backyard.

Extensions:
We could draw our own houses, and then put our hello, and goodbye window anywhere we wanted to.
We could write about our dream house when we get big and all the cool things we would have in our houses. We could describe what our hello, goodbye window would look like and where exactly in the house we would put it.
  A_Kolinski | Jul 2, 2015 |
This is a good book with a good storyline. This book is not only a beautiful story of a child spending a precious night with her grandparents and the "magic" of the Hello, Goodbye window, but it also promotes diversity, as the parents are biracial and the older grandparents are shown in a light where they are very capable when society does not often support those ideas.
  kather8 | Jun 7, 2015 |
PreS-Gr 1-The window in Nanna and Poppy's kitchen is no ordinary window-it is the place where love and magic happens. It's where the girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye. The first-person text is both simple and sophisticated, conjuring a perfectly child-centered world. Sentences such as "When I get tired I come in and take my nap and nothing happens until I get up" typify the girl's happy, imaginative world. While the language is bouncy and fun, it is the visual interpretation of this sweet story that sings. Using a bright rainbow palette of saturated color, Raschka's impressionistic, mixed-media illustrations portray a loving, mixed-race family. The artwork is at once lively and energetic, without crowding the story or the words on the page; the simple lines and squiggles of color suggest a child's own drawings, but this is the art of a masterful hand. Perfect for lap-sharing, this book will find favor with children and adults alike.-Angela J. Reynolds, Washington County Cooperative Library Services, Hillsboro, OR Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Angela J. Reynolds (Jul 22, 2009)

Juster (The Phantom Tollbooth) crafts a cozy portrait of a grandchild and her grandparents in this endearing book, illustrated in paintbox colors by Raschka (Be Boy Buzz). A curly haired girl-who dances with wiggly energy in Raschka's lush paintings-describes playful visits to her Nanna and Poppy, whose kitchen window provides the perfect venue to say hello and goodbye. "You can climb up on the flower barrel and tap," she says, "then duck down and they won't know who did it." Her grandparents welcome her into a sunlit, spacious kitchen filled with plants, where she doodles and listens to Poppy play "Oh, Susannah" on the harmonica. At night, the "Hello, Goodbye Window" functions as a mirror, and the girl jokes about being outside looking in: "Poppy says, `What are you doing out there? You come right in and have your dinner.' And I say, `But I'm here with you, Poppy,' and then he looks at me in his funny way." Juster departs from the over-the-top punning of his earlier works to create a gently humorous account of a family's conversations and games, all centered on the special window. Raschka warms the pages with glowing yellow, emerald, sapphire and golden brown, and he pictures the garden and trees in emphatic midsummer greens. The characters smile at one another with a doting twinkle in their eyes, and grandparents especially will be charmed by this relaxed account of how a child's visit occasions everyday magic. Ages 2-up. (Apr.) Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Informatin (Apr 1, 2005)

A young girl takes us to her Nanna and Poppy's house to see a very special window. Most of the time her Nanna and Poppy are there in the kitchen so she can tap on the window, then hide, or they can wave at her when she arrives. We share her joy in the fun she has with Poppy's harmonica playing, watching reflections in the window at supper, saying goodnight to the stars with Nanna, looking through the window at the garden, playing outside. Sometimes through the window she sees people; sometimes her imagination fills it with other more amazing sights. Saying goodbye through the window when Mommy and Daddy pick her up is sad, but she looks forward to having her own "Hello, Goodbye Window" some day. Raschka turns the pages into scenes of innocent joy. His paints barely suggest objects as he applies intuitive areas of color, he then uses black lines here and there to define a face, a bicycle, a spouting hose. The personalities of the grandparents and their loving interactions with the narrator make this an engaging tale, while the artist's imagination forms something special from a bit of childhood. 2005, Michael Di Capua Books/Hyperion Books for Children, Ages 3 to 6.
added by sriches | editChildren's Review, Ken and Sylvia Marantz

Norton Justerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raschka, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Tori -- N.J.
For Eliana -- C.R.
Nanna and Poppy live in a big house in the middle of town.

Curriculum Connection:  1st Grade Social Studies Standard: 1. History
Concepts and skills students master:2. Family and cultural traditions in the United States in the pasta. Identify similarities and differences between themselves and others (DOK 1-2)

This is a love song devoted to that special relationship between grandparents and grandchild. The kitchen window at Nanna and Poppy's house is, for one little girl, a magic gateway. Everything important happens near it, through it, or beyond it. Told in her voice, her story is both a voyage of discovery and a celebration of the commonplace wonders that define childhood, expressed as a joyful fusion of text with evocative and exuberant illustrations.The world for this little girl will soon grow larger and more complex, but never more enchanting or deeply felt.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

Looking through the kitchen window, a little girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,016,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible