The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster

The Hello, Goodbye Window (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Norton Juster

Member:kingjon
Title:The Hello, Goodbye Window
Authors:Norton Juster
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Wishlist
Tags:want-to-read

The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster (2005)

I think, “The Hello, Goodbye Window” is an incredible book because of the storyline and interracial aspect. This book won the Caldecott Honor Book Award and I think children would really enjoy this reading. The illustrations are colorful, in depth, and resemble a young child’s artistic ability with scribbles, lines, and shapes. Within these illustrations, you can see that the little girl has an African American mother and grandmother, and a Caucasian father and grandfather. Here, the point of view is in the young girls voice as she explains her own magic getaway, a symbolic place for her and her family. The big idea of this story is the definition of childhood and its memories, and the importance of family. ( )
  Ebutzn1 | Sep 28, 2014 |
Summary: this story is about a little girl who visits her grandparents. Her grandparents have a magic window in the kitchen that everything occurs in. The window is so special to her and her grandparents. The kitchen is where her grandparents spend most of their time. She plays peek-a-boo and look at reflections in the window.

Personal reaction: This story reminds me of going to my grandparents house in Virginia. We use to spend a lot of time on the front porch. So I could definitely relate to it. The pictures really caught my attention.

Classroom extension:
1. This story could be used to explore children's imagination by using art. This could be done by having them draw their own window and what they would want to see in it.
2. This story could also be used to test children's memory. By having students recall what all the window was used for by giving them clues.
  christianf | Sep 25, 2014 |
"The Hello, Goodbye Window," interconnections the relationship with a child, grandparents, and a window. This books shows that the window isn't just a window, its a place where a child and grandparents bond. Children could have this same relationship with their grandparents with or without a window.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
Summary:
This book is about a little girl who spend her days with her grandparents house until her parents pick her up. The grandparents and little girl our multi-racial. When you get the grandparents house you have to pass a window that she calls it the Hello, Goodbye window. This window symbolizes her magical gateway.You see who's coming before you see them. You then enter into the kitchen where they spend most of their time.
Personal Reaction:
I like that they are multi-racial. It also reminded me of my youth going to my grandparents house. It shows love and affection. Like at my grandparents we spent most of our time in the kitchen.
Classroom Extensions:
1.Read the students books on different ethnicity and cultures and have them describe how the cultures they read are different from their own.
2.Have the students paint or draw pictures of their own magical get away.
  valhaitshan | Sep 7, 2014 |
A little girl talks about her visit with her Nanny and Poppy. She talks about what she does there and there is a window in their kitchen they call the hello goodbye window because you can always see who's coming up to the door.
  ashleyann65 | Jul 1, 2014 |
PreS-Gr 1-The window in Nanna and Poppy's kitchen is no ordinary window-it is the place where love and magic happens. It's where the girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye. The first-person text is both simple and sophisticated, conjuring a perfectly child-centered world. Sentences such as "When I get tired I come in and take my nap and nothing happens until I get up" typify the girl's happy, imaginative world. While the language is bouncy and fun, it is the visual interpretation of this sweet story that sings. Using a bright rainbow palette of saturated color, Raschka's impressionistic, mixed-media illustrations portray a loving, mixed-race family. The artwork is at once lively and energetic, without crowding the story or the words on the page; the simple lines and squiggles of color suggest a child's own drawings, but this is the art of a masterful hand. Perfect for lap-sharing, this book will find favor with children and adults alike.-Angela J. Reynolds, Washington County Cooperative Library Services, Hillsboro, OR Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editSchool Library Journal, Angela J. Reynolds (Jul 22, 2009)

Juster (The Phantom Tollbooth) crafts a cozy portrait of a grandchild and her grandparents in this endearing book, illustrated in paintbox colors by Raschka (Be Boy Buzz). A curly haired girl-who dances with wiggly energy in Raschka's lush paintings-describes playful visits to her Nanna and Poppy, whose kitchen window provides the perfect venue to say hello and goodbye. "You can climb up on the flower barrel and tap," she says, "then duck down and they won't know who did it." Her grandparents welcome her into a sunlit, spacious kitchen filled with plants, where she doodles and listens to Poppy play "Oh, Susannah" on the harmonica. At night, the "Hello, Goodbye Window" functions as a mirror, and the girl jokes about being outside looking in: "Poppy says, `What are you doing out there? You come right in and have your dinner.' And I say, `But I'm here with you, Poppy,' and then he looks at me in his funny way." Juster departs from the over-the-top punning of his earlier works to create a gently humorous account of a family's conversations and games, all centered on the special window. Raschka warms the pages with glowing yellow, emerald, sapphire and golden brown, and he pictures the garden and trees in emphatic midsummer greens. The characters smile at one another with a doting twinkle in their eyes, and grandparents especially will be charmed by this relaxed account of how a child's visit occasions everyday magic. Ages 2-up. (Apr.) Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information.
added by sriches | editPublishers Weekly, Reed Business Informatin (Apr 1, 2005)

A young girl takes us to her Nanna and Poppy's house to see a very special window. Most of the time her Nanna and Poppy are there in the kitchen so she can tap on the window, then hide, or they can wave at her when she arrives. We share her joy in the fun she has with Poppy's harmonica playing, watching reflections in the window at supper, saying goodnight to the stars with Nanna, looking through the window at the garden, playing outside. Sometimes through the window she sees people; sometimes her imagination fills it with other more amazing sights. Saying goodbye through the window when Mommy and Daddy pick her up is sad, but she looks forward to having her own "Hello, Goodbye Window" some day. Raschka turns the pages into scenes of innocent joy. His paints barely suggest objects as he applies intuitive areas of color, he then uses black lines here and there to define a face, a bicycle, a spouting hose. The personalities of the grandparents and their loving interactions with the narrator make this an engaging tale, while the artist's imagination forms something special from a bit of childhood. 2005, Michael Di Capua Books/Hyperion Books for Children, Ages 3 to 6.
added by sriches | editChildren's Review, Ken and Sylvia Marantz

Norton Justerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raschka, ChrisIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Tori -- N.J.
For Eliana -- C.R.
Nanna and Poppy live in a big house in the middle of town.

Curriculum Connection:  1st Grade Social Studies Standard: 1. History
Concepts and skills students master:2. Family and cultural traditions in the United States in the pasta. Identify similarities and differences between themselves and others (DOK 1-2)

This is a love song devoted to that special relationship between grandparents and grandchild. The kitchen window at Nanna and Poppy's house is, for one little girl, a magic gateway. Everything important happens near it, through it, or beyond it. Told in her voice, her story is both a voyage of discovery and a celebration of the commonplace wonders that define childhood, expressed as a joyful fusion of text with evocative and exuberant illustrations.The world for this little girl will soon grow larger and more complex, but never more enchanting or deeply felt.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:24 -0400)

Looking through the kitchen window, a little girl and her doting grandparents watch stars, play games, and, most importantly, say hello and goodbye.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,964,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible