Back To Madeline Island by Jay Gilbertson

Back To Madeline Island

by Jay Gilbertson

This is book two of this new series and I really have enjoyed the story and all its characters. I can't wait to read book three! ( )
  Ocean_Mist | Mar 27, 2013 |
Love those Wisconsin Ladies! I can see them bumping around in that big old house and driving the duck! Being from Wisconsin myself I can really picture those two ladies! ( )
  kresslya | May 30, 2011 |
Okay, I know I'm going to catch hell for this...Why did I bother to read the second book of the series if I disliked the first one so much? Well...I was hoping that the first book was an introduction of sorts and that once we got all of the set-up and development out of the way (such as it was), we could now start developing plots.

Also, each book took just two days to read.

It was better than the first one in that there was a plot. Or, I should say, there were plots. Tbe gang deals with family histories as they become unraveled. The gang decides to quit smoking and start bellydancing. The gang finds a ghastly secret in the woods. The gang finds something mysterious in the lake house. The gang eats a lot of food and eventually goes back to smoking cigarettes. The gang just has so much gosh-darn fun together, what with their crazy antics and all. Fluffy bunnies and bizarre coincidences.

I had a strong personal dislike to one plot line - the one involving the main character (Eve) reuniting with her long-lost daughter, given up for adoption at birth (Helen). They meet for the first time in a cafe. The other patrons erupt into applause and cheers when they hug. Then they fawn over each other and split some cake. It's just so precious that I thought I might puke.

As an adoptee myself, I found the idealized, candy-coated version of a reunion positively sickening. I know that it's a fluff book and the author probably isn't going to get into the nuances of a biomom-adopted daughter relationship: abandonment issues, existential angst, insecurity, all that. NO. Let's have a piece of cake and fawn over how we have the same nose.

Anyhow, this book was much more cohesive than the first...but I don't think I'll pick up another. I don't care about the characters and I've become angry at both books I've read thus far. I don't think I need to go back to Madeline Island via Jay Gilbertson's books yet again. ( )
  anterastilis | Feb 24, 2009 |

Jay Gilbertson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,606,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible