Daisy in Chains: A Novel by Sharon Bolton

Daisy in Chains: A Novel (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Sharon Bolton (Author)

Member:chooki666
Title:Daisy in Chains: A Novel
Authors:Sharon Bolton (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Daisy in Chains: A Novel by Sharon Bolton (2017)

English (9)  German (1)  All languages (10)
She got me. I should have seen the signs. They were there. Occasional food anxiety, the blue hair, rules for disappearing, the flower name. However I was too caught up in the story to fix my attention on Maggie Rose.

Hamish is slippery and duplicitous, but in a remote way. Bolton never writes a close third person for him so he feels less substantial. As does Maggie herself. Drinks with yet another man she freed? That is so strange that for a woman who cuts herself off, she wants to maintain relationships with these people. And what is it with women who “fall in love” with convicted murderers? The explanation toward the end, so cynically explained by Hamish, rings the most true. Not so much mental illness as a way to be in control; a thing many women lack entirely. I liked the fact that most of the letters to Dearest end up with the police. It adds a tremendous unknown quantity that engages the mind and in a way, keeps the reader (at least this one) from focusing on what is really at the heart of the situation. Nice work and I look forward to reading more from Ms. Bolton. ( )
1 vote Bookmarque | Jan 30, 2018 |
SWEDISH REVIEW

Wow, vilken bok. vad jag älskar med Boltons böcker är inte bara hennes förmåga att skriva spännande böcker med otroliga vändningar, utan även hennes förmåga att skapa intressanta och fascinerande karaktärer som Maggie Rose och Hamish Wolfe. Från början fängslades jag av handlingen och jag älskade känslan av att inte veta hur allting skulle sluta. Är Hamish oskyldig eller inte? Varför håller polisen som fångade Hamish så stor koll på Maggie? Han övervakade henne så mycket så det kändes som att han förföljde honom. Och den största frågan, vem är egentligen Maggie Hope?

Daisy i kedjor gav upphov till många frågor medan jag läste boken och det är svårt att skriva vad som fängslade mig så mycket med boken utan att avslöja saker. Men jag vill säga detta. boken är oerhört spännande, med vändningar som jag absolut inte hade räknat med och ett alldeles fantastiskt slut. Utan tvekan är detta en av de bästa böcker jag har läst detta år!

Tack till Modernista för recensionsexemplaret!

ENGLISH REVIEW

Oh wow, what a book. What a ride! What I love with Sharon Bolton's books is not only her ability to write thrilling twisted stories, that's her ability to create interesting and extremely fascinating characters like Maggie Rose and Hamish Wolfe. From the beginning was I captivated with the story and I loved the feeling of not knowing how it all would end. I mean questions like; is Hamish innocent or not, why is the cop that caught Hamish keeping a close eye on Maggie, that is starting to feel a bit stalkerish, and who the hell is Maggie Hope, what makes her tick?

Many, many questions went through my head during the time I read the book. And, it's hard to write about what's so interesting about it without giving anything away. But, I will say this, nothing is at it seems, sure some things that happen makes sense, but I never saw that ending coming. This is one of the best books I have read this year!

I want to thank Random House for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
1 vote MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
I don't usually write reviews on books, but I've just finished reading this one and felt as though I had to! This is hands down one of the best books I've read. I've read other books by this other and loved them as well. Sharon Bolton's works are truely genius. This book, in particular, is, for lack of better terminology, a true masterpiece. The way this author puts together the characters and plots is truly amazing. She has a way of writing that makes you completely convinced of one thing, but then the story takes a complete turn. I highly recommend this book! ( )
  rubys13 | Sep 13, 2017 |
Sharon Bolton is one of my favorite authors, and with each book she gets better and better! Hamish Wolfe, a handsome and brilliant doctor, was convicted of murdering several young women. However, despite the evidence to the contrary, he continues to proclaim his innocence. Attorney and true crime writer Maggie Rose, famous for obtaining new verdicts for several convicted men, meets with him and decides to look into his case. Also involved in this search for the truth are several members of the police department who handled the original cases, Wolfe’s mother and various other supporters of the convicted killer. Bolton is never satisfied with things being as they seem, so be prepared for everyone to have secrets that all converge on another wild ending! I simply can’t wait for each of her novels for this reason! ( )
1 vote Susan.Macura | Oct 10, 2016 |
Great expectations is what I had when I started this one. After all Sharon Bolton and I usually get along famously..so why then, during the first two thirds of the novel was my inner skeptic screaming? So many things just didn't gel for me, or maybe I just guessed part of this way too soon. The pacing was so slow and I found myself putting the book down, not compelled to keep reading.

The last third of the book speeded up, and some very surprising things did happen, still there was this little jiggle in the back of my mind. Not buying some of the plot, a police officer would know better, no? Not really a spoiler because if you didn't read this yet you won't know what I am talking about, the specific happenstance since the police are involved throughout. Anyway, sine the last third did surprise me somewhat I have rated this as good, good but not compelling, well not for me. Still, I know many loved this one and I wish Icould had loved it more. That darn inner skeptic of mine.

ARC from Netgalley.. ( )
  Beamis12 | Oct 1, 2016 |

Just what is it that attracts some women to the most evil of men? The seductive, twisty, exhilarating new thriller from Sharon Bolton.

He loves her. He loves her not.

He's a serial killer. A murderer of young women, all killed in brutal attacks.

But despite his conviction, he's always stuck to his story -- he's innocent and he's been wrongly imprisoned. And now he wants someone to investigate, and more importantly, to write his story.

At first Maggie, a barrister and true-crime writer, is reluctant to even acknowledge his requests, ignoring his letters. But this is a very charismatic and persuasive man, good-looking and intelligent.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:15:47 -0400)

"He's a serial killer. A murderer of young women, all killed in brutal attacks. But despite Hamish Wolfe's conviction, he's always stuck to his story--he's innocent and he's been wrongly imprisoned. And now he wants someone to investigate and, more importantly, to write his story. Maggie Rose is a notorious defense attorney and writer whose specialty is getting convictions overturned. At first, Maggie is reluctant to even acknowledge Hamish's requests to meet, ignoring his letters. But this is a very charismatic and persuasive man, good-looking and intelligent. Eventually even she can't resist his lure."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,804,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible