The Things We Wish Were True by Marybeth…

The Things We Wish Were True (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen (Author)

Member:SmithSJ01
Title:The Things We Wish Were True
Authors:Marybeth Mayhew Whalen (Author)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2016), 288 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Read, 2017 Reads, Netgalley

The Things We Wish Were True by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen (2016)

A sweet story that held my attention while doing my make up. ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Feb 24, 2019 |
The Things We Wish Were True by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen was one of those books "on sale" on Kindle.....well you do get what you pay for. I need to stop doing that! This was a very disjointed "romance" (???) billed as contemporary fiction. There were so many characters that were not well developed that it was difficult to follow. The action takes place during the summer and the locale is the community swimming pool. 290 pages ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Jul 15, 2018 |
To be perfectly honest, for the first half of this book (or more, I am not really sure) I thought this book was terrible. In the end, I ended up reading about 100 pages in one night and I enjoyed how the author decided to close out the story. What I did enjoy was that there was an undeniable sense of closure for all the characters at the end of the novel. However, I felt like the ending was more than 100% predictable, in fact I feel like the final turning point was obvious from the first 30 or so pages in. I'm rating this as 3 stars, because it definitely was not horrible enough to deserve a 2 star rating, but I also just did not find it as enjoyable/shocking/stunning as I was lead to believe it would be. ( )
  startwithgivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this, probably because we do tell ourselves one thing in public and another in private. Zipped right through this read, without a dull moment. I'm not sure I want to live in that neighborhood, though... ( )
  ptkpepe98 | Mar 19, 2018 |
Sweet and real and hard to put down.

The characters weren't all good, nor all wicked (except maybe Debra and even she was treated with sensitivity), and even evil felt fully developed. They were just real. You'll root for Cailey, feel for Bryte, and find hope with Jencey.

Cfo6 | Mar 19, 2018 |

From the outside, Sycamore Glen, North Carolina, might look like the perfect all-American neighborhood. But behind the white picket fences lies a web of secrets that reach from house to house.

Up and down the streets, neighbors quietly bear the weight of their own pasts—until an accident at the community pool upsets the delicate equilibrium. And when tragic circumstances compel a woman to return to Sycamore Glen after years of self-imposed banishment, the tangle of the neighbors’ intertwined lives begins to unravel.

During the course of a sweltering summer, long-buried secrets are revealed, and the neighbors learn that it’s impossible to really know those closest to us. But is it impossible to love and forgive them?

After an accident at the community pool and the return of a long-absent community member, the secret-filled lives of the residents of Sycamore Glen, North Carolina can no longer remain hidden from view.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible