Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection by…

An excellent collection of novellas from the different planets of the cosmere. I had read most of those separately before, but it was interesting to read all the preludes/postscripts that reveal a lot about the cosmere itself. ( )
  Guide2 | Mar 5, 2018 |
It's a tricky thing to rate an anthology, especially when you've read maybe a third of it previously. I hadn't tracked down all of the short stories, and never read the RPG books for Mistborn so those were new to me. I included this in my Hugos shelf because The Emperor's Soul won for Novella in the past, and is really a lovely piece of fiction.

Arcanum Unbounded includes star maps for each system with notes by Khriss, author of all the Cosmere-related ars arcanums at the ends of previous novels, and each story/novella ends with a postscript by Brandon on why and how he developed that tale.

Individual reviews (links to previous times I've read them, with additional commentary from this read:
The Emperor's Soul
"haaaaaah I forgot Shai just straight up discusses the whole physical, cognitive, and spiritual realm thing as the underpinnings of soulstamping (and really, pretty much all Cosmere magic)"
"The Emperor's Soul is such a lovely, quiet novella on the nature of art and what it really means to capture the essence of a person or thing. I also love the idea of chops as a means to magic."
The Hope of Elantris- really short, reminds me I'm overdue for an Elantris reread
The Eleventh Metal- still haven't read the adventure game books, but a nice snapshot of a young Kelsier
Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania, Episodes Twenty-Eight Through Thirty- Great way to introduce the steampunk'd Mistborn world, and the footnotes are hilarious.
Mistborn: Secret History
White Sand- "The excerpt of White Sand was interesting, but I do wonder if it lost some of its impact in grayscale form here (I also wonder if the ebook version has color? Someone can probably tell me)."
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell - still think this is a really interesting world.
Sixth of Dusk- I need to find the Writing Excuses episodes and the original anthology this came in- am curious to see how it changed over the brainstorming and refining process
Edgedancer- the main reason I'm finally reading this, as we learn more about one of Brandon's favorite Radiants and get a little bit more lore re: the Heralds and manifestations of the Knights Radiant orders. A cameo in this one also convinced me I need to reread [b:Warbreaker|1268479|Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)|Brandon Sanderson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1240256182s/1268479.jpg|1257385]before I get into [b:Oathbringer|34002132|Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)|Brandon Sanderson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1507307833s/34002132.jpg|23840254] (and really should've done so before [b:Words of Radiance|17332218|Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)|Brandon Sanderson|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1507307927s/17332218.jpg|16482835] if only because I didn't realize Vasher was hanging out under a different name)

All in all, a good collection of the various Cosmere short fiction. I'd previously purchased them here and there with Google Play credit, but it's nice having a physical copy for reference. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
The stories are of somewhat mixed quality. My current favorite is Sixth of Dusk. The Emperor's Soul is almost as good as the first time I read it but Mistborn: The Secret History isn't as good a re-read. ( )
  quondame | Dec 2, 2017 |
Edgedancer was the main draw to this collection for me, and it did not let me down! It was a nice tidbit to hold me over until the next volume of Stormlight Archive is published, I can't wait to read more about Lift. I had read a few of the shorts in here before, but the added information surrounding each world as written by Khriss was worth it, and added new depth when I read each of them again. The lore surrounding Sanderson's worlds was incredible, was fantastic to finally get some more in depth knowledge about the Cosmere. ( )
  themjrawr | Dec 1, 2017 |

This volume of short stories and longer novella-length stories was extremely hit-and-miss for me. Almost the entire first half of the volume was not my cup of tea - some combination of how juvenile I found the story and how uninterested I was in the characterizations.

I did enjoy the Mistborn story - the one set at the time of the original trilogy - but not because it revealed a whole ton of what was going on in the background of the trilogy. I liked it because we got to hang out with Kelsier again, which was always a great thing, being such a lovely conflicted character. The remainder of the stories in the first half are just too silly or uninteresting for me to care about. I'm not actually a fan of the Elysium world, and wasn't familiar with the rest of the worlds there.

The second half is better, but by far the best one is the final one with Lift from the Stormlight Archive. I had forgotten about Lift (she apparently made an appearance in the 2nd Stormlight novel), and she really is utterly delightful. Stuck in childhood, but important enough to be one of the Knights Radiant, she's a refreshing breath of fresh air in a very, very serious series.

I did almost stop reading after the Mistborn tale, but I am glad I soldiered on. It's pretty darn spotty, but overall worth your time (plus you will want to know the secrets, I'm sure). ( )
  khage | Sep 27, 2017 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Palumbo, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nathan Hatfield
Who helped the Cosmere come to be.

A collection of stories encompassing the realms of the Shardworlds, Stormlight, Mistborn, and Elantris and more. Sanderson has created a series of linked worlds that together create the imagined realms know as the Cosmere. This collection of stories represent six of these planets and their distinct magic systems. The author has included charts, illustrations, notes and secrets to help you on your journey across the cosmos.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,548,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible