dismiss

In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward…

by Lawrence Block (Editor)

Other authors: Megan Abbott (Contributor), Jill D. Block (Contributor), Lawrence Block (Contributor), Robert Olen Butler (Contributor), Lee Child (Contributor)13 more, Nicholas Christopher (Contributor), Michael Connelly (Contributor), Jeffery Deaver (Contributor), Craig Ferguson (Contributor), Edward Hopper (Illustrator), Stephen King (Contributor), Joe R. Lansdale (Contributor), Gail Levin (Contributor), Warren Moore (Contributor), Kris Nelscott (Contributor), Joyce Carol Oates (Contributor), Jonathan Santlofer (Contributor), Justin Scott (Contributor)

"A newly commissioned anthology of seventeen superbly crafted stories inspired by the paintings of Edward Hopper"--Dust jacket.

A fantastic collection that lives up to the art it's inspired by. ( )
  ThomasPluck | Apr 27, 2020 |
In Sunlight or in Shadow has an intriguing premise. Within you will find short stories based upon the paintings of Edward Hopper. One doesn't need to be familiar with Hopper's work to enjoy this book. Each tale is prefaced with information about the author and an image of the painting on which the story was based. These were my favorites:

SOIR BLEU (based on the painting below) by Robert Olen Butler

I'm a horror fan and this story features a creepy clown. How could I go wrong? The best part of this one was the tricky way in which it was told.

TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS by Craig Ferguson

Yes, you read that right-It's THE Craig Ferguson and he also writes stories in addition to his work on television. This is another case of tricky story-telling and it was superb. One of my favorite quotes in this entire book comes from this story:

"The sea was guilty and quiet like it had just eaten."

THE MUSIC ROOM by Stephen King

What is that thumping from the closet? This tale was just plain fun and even if SK's name wasn't listed, I would know this story was his. Twisted and short, this is an example of the King at his best.

OFFICE AT NIGHT by Warren Moore

Large Marge finally scores herself a job in the big city. I adored this bittersweet tale of a young woman taking on NYC.

NIGHT WINDOWS by Jonathan Santlofer

Featuring a creepy Peeping Tom, (and that's the least of this man's crimes), this is a great tale of a woman's revenge. I have a soft spot for revenge tales and this one is a doozy!

Overall this anthology features not only well known authors, but lesser known authors as well. For the most part it was the lesser knowns that shined the brightest for me. Those, and Mr. Hopper himself, who I've developed a fondness for after reading this book. I would love to view some of his artwork in person, and I'm going to try to do just that.

Highly recommended for fans of diverse short stories and for fans of Edward Hopper!

You can buy your copy here: In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper

*Thanks to NetGalley and Pegasus Books for the free advance review copy in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.* ( )
  Charrlygirl | Mar 22, 2020 |

Mr. Block, you have collected a stellar set of writers to showcase Hopper's paintings. Not all of them have written you a stellar story, but all of them have done what you asked - written a story that tells a tale of the painting in question.

Which ones are my favorite? Here are the ones I liked the most, from least favorite to most favorite:

1. Autumn at the Automat (Lawrence Block)
Not the Hopper painting you're thinking of - the other famous one. Block writes an adequately mysterious story, very Block-like, but not particularly memorable.

2. The Music Room (Stephen King)
No question that this is a King creation, with the creepy twist you've come to expect!

3. Office at Night (Warren Moore)
Much, much more subtle than the previous two. I haven't read anything by Moore before, but I should start. He weaves an astonishingly sweet and sad story from Hopper's painting of an office inhabited by a man and a woman, and not much else.

4. Rooms by the Sea (Nicholas Christopher)
This one would have taken top prize if the next one hadn't made me laugh out loud. Rooms by the Sea is the epitome of an intricate tale told lovingly and with a definite purpose. In addition, the mystery surrounding these rooms & the house itself keeps you guessing the entire way.

5. Taking Care of Business (Craig Ferguson)
There's a reason Ferguson is known as a go-to screenwriter. Short, sweet, kooky, simplistic, and with two - not one - bang-on endings. Also, really freakin' funny. ( )
  khage | Oct 19, 2019 |
This book was outstanding! I am a fan of Lawrence Block and Edward Hopper so, naturally, I preordered this book. It was worth the wait. The stories were interesting and dealt with the subject perfectly. I read it in one night/morning! ( )
  hillcl | Mar 2, 2018 |
Neat conceptual basis, all good; some, Child, Block, Connolly, Abbott, excellent. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jan 30, 2018 |

Nelscott, KrisContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oates, Joyce CarolContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Santlofer, JonathanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scott, JustinContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,850,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible