The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A…

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Four Parts (1979)

by Douglas Adams

Above His Station by Darren Craske (iamiam)
    iamiam: Similar absurdist, comedic approach to the combination of "fish out of water" theme in Science Fiction
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (daisyfly)
    Mort by Terry Pratchett (SatansParakeet)
    SatansParakeet: Actually, you might enjoy any of Pratchett's Discworld series, but I particularly like Mort. Both works use a somewhat dry sense of humor while dealing with a universe that is quite obviously mad. The parallels to our own world are many and make the stories all the more amusing because of them.… (more)

Includes: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Life, the Universe, and Everything, and So long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
  PatriciaTaylor | Sep 15, 2016 |
A bad day to be on planet earth ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |
I liked parts of this book a lot. Not to mention I get a lot more of the pop culture references to this book now. But for some reason this book left me feeling like I was missing something. I don't really feel like there was a conclusion to anything because there was nothing really going on. Smart writing and very detailed world development though, I think I'll need to read it again in the future to really get it. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
This edition contains the first 4 books of the trilogy, and starts with the destruction of the Earth. What follows is space travel, meeting aliens, finding out about the great questions of life, the universe and everything, messages from God and so on. It's very funny and full of great characters. The books don't always flow smoothly or maintain consistency, but they are a great read. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Oct 27, 2014 |
The first book whose title is the most famous was originally published in 1970, the following three books in the early 1980's. You would think they would be dated but they do travel into the noughties and it's second decade pretty well. A bit like Monty Python, The Young Ones and other comedies of that ilk. I had this tome on my shelf for some time having nabbed it off my son. It is a thick book and I think that did put me off, anyway I finally got around to reading it. I am not sure I could really tell you what it's about as it is all quite nonsensical. The synopsis above should help with that (taken from the back cover). Very cleverly written, Adams is clearly extremely bright with his wit and wonderful imagination. It's strange to think that in the seventies computers were in quite early stages but rather like Orwell's novel 1984, some of the technology mentioned is current in today's society. At that time a hyperspace bypass may not have seemed an idea so very far away when science and technology were progressing rapidly. Space travel happens but we have still yet to see a bypass in the sky! Anyway, without going into the why's and wherefore's too deeply, it is an amusing read and something quite different. I have seen the TV series when it was repeated (I think) in the 80's and the film (2005) with Martin Freeman playing Arthur Dent but I don't remember the original radio plays. If you like 70's/80's comedy think Cambridge set and science fiction then this might be right up your street. A good fun read. ( )
  booketta | Sep 24, 2013 |

Douglas Adamsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mennim, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

The restaurant at the end of the universe.
for Jonny Brock and Clare Gorst and all other Arlingtonians for tea, sympathy, and a sofa

The hitch hiker's guide to the galazy.
To Jane and James

with many thanks
to Geoffrey Perkins for achieving the Improbable
to Paddy Kingsland, Lisa Braun and Alick Hale Munro for helping him
to John Lloyd for his help with the original Milliways script
to Simon Brett for starting the whole thing off

to the Paul Simon album One Trick Pony which I played incessantly while writing this book. Five years is far too long

And with very special thanks to Jacqui Graham for infinite patience, kindness and food in adversity

for Sally

Life, the universe and everything.
for Jane
with thanks
to Rick and Heidi for the loan of their stable event

to Mogens and Andy and all at Huntsham Court for a number of unstable events

and especially to Sonny Mehta for being stable through all events.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
The History of The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is now so complicated that every time I tell it I contradict myself, and when I do get it right I'm misquoted.

A guide to the guide : some unhelpful remarks from the author.
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

The hitch hiker's guide to the galazy.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.

The restaurant at the end of the universe.
The regular early morning yell of horror was the sound of Arthur Dent waking up and suddenly remembering where he was.

Life, the universe and everything.
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.
This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
[Collected Books 1-4 Only] This volume contains 4 books: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Life, the Universe and Everything, and So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Life, the Universe and Everything.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
The Hitchhiker's Guide
Trilogy in four parts. One
Cannot ask for more.
Arthur Dent is one
Of literature's best known and
Loved heroes. Agreed?

Picador Contents: The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy -- The restaurant at the end of the Universe -- Life, the Universe and everything -- So long, and thanks for all the fish

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,757,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible