The Girl Who Played with Fire (2006)

by Stieg Larsson

Series: Millennium Trilogie (2), Millennium Trilogy (2), Millennium (2)

26,38087583 (4.12)1 / 787
On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

English (778)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (17)  German (10)  French (9)  Swedish (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (5)  Norwegian (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (873)
Better than the first novel, but clearly a middle novel, not particularly a stand alone novel. ( )
  curious_squid | Apr 5, 2021 |
Great. Definitely a page turner. Great characters. ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
Parempi kuin ensimmäinen osa mielestäni. ( )
  RankkaApina | Feb 22, 2021 |
This one was not as good as the first one and it took even longer for me to care about what was happening, but it was still a good read. The first book I didn't enjoy it until 50-100 pages in; this time I was about 400 pages in when it really got interesting to me and I couldn't put it down--but it was still a good read up until that point, just not as exciting as the first.

I really could have done without all the details of the items from IKEA that Salander buys to furnish her apartment--did he get money from IKEA to market their products before he died?--and was the beginning story about Salander in the hurricane even necessary? Those parts made the book feel like it was written by King to me, but by the end I couldn't put it down. I was glad I could get the next one on my Kindle and start reading it right away.

Overall, I would say, read the first one in the series for sure, and the last half of the second one. I'll let you know about the third. ( )
  pmichaud | Dec 21, 2020 |
Much better than the first of the series. This story moved much faster, and I cared a little more about what happened to them. ( )
  loretteirene | Dec 17, 2020 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

Lisbeth Salander se ha tomado un tiempo: necesita apartarse del foco de atención y salir de Estocolmo. Trata de seguir una férrea disciplina y no contestar a las llamadas y mensajes de un Mikael que no entiende por qué ha desaparecido de su vida sin dar ningún tipo de explicación. Las heridas del amor las cura Lisbeth en soledad, aunque intente despistar el desencanto con el estudio de las matemáticas y ciertos felices placeres en una playa del Caribe. ¿Y Mikael? El gran héroe, el súper Blomkvist, vive buenos momentos en Millennium, con las finanzas de la revista saneadas y reconocimiento profesional de colegas y medios. Ahora tiene entre manos un reportaje apasionante que le propone una pareja, Dag y Mia, sobre el tráfico y prostitución de mujeres provenientes del Este. Las vidas de nuestros dos protagonistas parecen haberse separado por completo, y mientras... una muchacha, atada a una cama soporta un día y otro día las horribles visitas de un ser despreciable, y sin decir una palabra, sueña con una cerilla y un bidón de gasolina, con la forma de provocar el fuego que acabe con todo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Torma PéterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varotto, FrancescaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vilardell, AlbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,960,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible