The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg…

The Girl Who Played with Fire (2006)

by Stieg Larsson

Series: Millennium Trilogy (2)

19,37273283 (4.14)1 / 677

English (643)  Dutch (20)  Spanish (13)  Swedish (10)  French (9)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Danish (7)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (4)  Romanian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (732)
This series is not for everyone. The pacing is slow and steady, the characters not necessarily heroic or morally righteous, and the events that shape the characters painful and humiliating. There is not a romantic ending or denouement, and the good guys get knocked on their butts when a just world would support their empowerment.

That said, I enjoyed this novel and the rest of the series much more than I expected to. Psychologically, the characters are more complex than the average reader might encounter, and the decisions they make are consistent with their personalities, but not at all what I might have chosen. The characters are nevertheless compelling and I root for them to overcome the challenges in their path.

The sordid parts of this series can descend into brutality, and the difficult social awkwardness of Salander complicates her life, making it more likely she will encounter more ugliness, though this is not her intent.

Salander's friendship with Blomkvist provides the series' a path to resolution, although not as a romantic reader might have envisioned it. Nothing happened as I expected, and yet, I was immensely satisfied with the series.

None of the books stands alone. In book 1, the friendship is set, in book 2, Salander's attempts to simplify her life only complicate it further, and in book 3, nothing makes much sense unless you have the weighty emotional history of the two previous books in mind when you read it. I relish the fact that a rehash of the previous novels is not dragged into the story. I find that muddies the current story unnecessarily. Find The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and read it first. ( )

CorinasQuill | Aug 31, 2014 |
When a novel moves or affects me deeply, I think about it when I’m walking around. I don’t find myself thinking about The Girl Who Played With Fire, but while I was reading it, I was useless until I got to the end. In retrospect, my experience of the book, like it’s characters, seems unreal. As, of course, it was.

When Larsson gets down to the business of telling a story, he tells a nerve-tingling tale.

For all the complications of the melodramatic story, which advances at a brisk, violently cinematic clip in Reg Keeland’s translation, it’s clear where Larsson’s strongest interests lie — in his heroine and the ill-concealed attitudes she brings out in men.

Mr. Larsson’s two central characters, Salander and Blomkvist, transcend their genre and insinuate themselves in the reader’s mind through their oddball individuality, their professional competence and, surprisingly, their emotional vulnerability.

What follows is a combination of urgent, multilayered thriller, traditional police procedural and articulate examination of the way a supposedly open-minded country like Sweden treats both its vulnerable women and children in care.

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kyrö, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lexell, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hon låg fastspänd med läderremmar på en smal brits med en ram i härdat stål.
She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame. (English translation)
Flickan som lekte med elden, 2006. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title "The Girl who Played with Fire," January 2009.

Lisbeth Salander is wanted for a triple murder. All three victims are connected to a trafficking exposé about to be published in Mikael Blomqvist’s magazine Millenium, and Lisbeth’s fingerprints are on the weapon.
Lisbeth vanishes to avoid capture by the justice. Mikael, not believing the police, is despairingly trying to clear her name, using all his resources and the staff of his magazine. During this process, Mikael discovers Lisbeth’s past, a terrible story of abuse and traumatizing experiences growing up in the Swedish care system.

When he eventually finds her, it’s only to discover that she is far more entangled in his initial investigation of the sex industry than he could ever imagine.

On the eve of publisher Mikael Blomkvist's story about sex trafficking between Eastern Europe and Sweden, two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Mikael Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander--the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid years before.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,347,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible